PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

damn. i think that means i will go 0 for 8 (once the MIT rejection which i assume is coming my way gets to me). wow.

It kind of makes you wonder what to do, huh. What is your background? Is there an alternate step you can take now to get back to where you want to be?

email from director of grad studies

"You will be receiving details from the Graduate School. I'll write more formally by mail in the next few days with information about the program and the department."

"We had a near record number of applications this year and could only admit a very small portion of them, so you are part of an extremely select group."

It kind of makes you wonder what to do, huh. What is your background? Is there an alternate step you can take now to get back to where you want to be?

had a 3.4 in undergrad in an obscenely hard science major from a top 50 school. had a 3.8 in a policy program at a top 3 masters program. worked in policy for 5 years. took 5 phd poli sci courses at a top 25 dept. and got an A in every course. basically, any policy course i've ever taken, the worst i've done is an A-. had a well-defined research proposal that literally fit perfectly with 6 of my 8 schools in terms of what their profs really did well in. very high GRE scores (90-95 percentile on all sections). plus strong LORs, albeit from no famous profs. the only thing i can think of is to go back in time and major in IR or econ in undergrad. damn 18-year-old version of me...wtf was he thinking??? i'm going to go bash my head on my kitchen wall for an hour now.

had a 3.4 in undergrad in an obscenely hard science major from a top 50 school. had a 3.8 in a policy program at a top 3 masters program. worked in policy for 5 years. took 5 phd poli sci courses at a top 25 dept. and got an A in every course. basically, any policy course i've ever taken, the worst i've done is an A-. had a well-defined research proposal that literally fit perfectly with 6 of my 8 schools in terms of what their profs really did well in. very high GRE scores (90-95 percentile on all sections). plus strong LORs, albeit from no famous profs. the only thing i can think of is to go back in time and major in IR or econ in undergrad. damn 18-year-old version of me...wtf was he thinking??? i'm going to go bash my head on my kitchen wall for an hour now.

Sorry to hear this whole process hasn't been so good for you this year. What schools have you not heard from? It sounds like you were unlucky and didn't have a safety school. To quote one of my recommenders when I was asking her for application advise, "Understanding how schools make graduate application decisions is more complicated than anything you'll study in graduate school. Having spent years on various admissions committees, I still have no idea how some of these decisions are made."

I tried to take the whole diamond in the rough angle with my apps, we'll see how well that works out for me.

Good luck with the rest of your apps. Just remember that Einstein had to work in a patent office because he couldn't find a job in academia at first. These academic institutions we all admire make mistakes.

Congrats! I got a call from Brown too today :) University faculty must feel like Santa Claus making these phone calls.

Congrats to you too!!!!!!I did not attempt to hide my elation one bit, so they must, lol!!! Wow, I am sooooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeexcited! I just don't know what to do with myself besides read and re-read the email that she sent as a follow up to our conversation.

I hope that everyone proves successful in their respective applications. I was literally down in the dumps for a month because of this process. I know people say that it only gets worse in academia, but hey, I am going to celebrate and enjoy this moment as much as I can!

There aw ther are still no decisions at Princeton and anyone who says there are (in the dept. or politics) can be happy i I guess. I was admitted to a number of top ten programs. I know what is going on at least according to mailing list. Hang tight

what does this mean?

Well there are accepts at Princeton and I have not got one. But I cannot conclude I was rejected. I think we have to wait. I spoke personally Thursday morning with the Administrator of Graduate Studies and she said "early next week." I think I was probably rejected as I find it hard to believe they would draft an email to any student saying they got in, and not to ALL students who got in. Oh well.

Maybe I am wait listed. I'll have to wait and see if I am given the option to wait and see what will be.