Can my elder brother, who's a Permanent Resident in the US, take out a student loan for me(non-resident) to study in the UK?

Ed_Cog

I applied for a Masters in Curriculum & Teaching in both US and UK schools, and even though I received 25-35% scholarships from US unis and none from the UK, the UK will still be more cost-effective because of the sheer difference in tuition cost. My brother, who's a legal resident (on the pathway to citizenship) in the US, has offered to take out a loan on my behalf for UK studies, but i don't know how that works in terms of documentation and whether it is even allowed, given that I live outside the US and have no legal status there (I did my Bachelors from the US on a scholarship, but I don't know if that'll help). 

Any advice will be really appreciated!  

This sounds like a great question to ask the financial aid department at your university of choice. They will almost certainly know more than any of us will, especially given the complexity of what you're asking about :).

There's nothing wrong with just asking the financial aid people at your prospective school as the above post said. You don't get your name added to a watch list for asking the question. 

This is sounds like a situation where you might be able to have the family member sign as a co-signer. The loan is in your name but if you (hypothetically of course) do what some international students have done and leave the country never to repay the loan, they go to the co-signer. They came down really hard on lending straight to foreign students awhile back because enormous numbers of loans never got repaid by people who were essentially entirely out of reach of the lender. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 4:46 PM, UnawareInGeneral said:

There's nothing wrong with just asking the financial aid people at your prospective school as the above post said. You don't get your name added to a watch list for asking the question. 

This is sounds like a situation where you might be able to have the family member sign as a co-signer. The loan is in your name but if you (hypothetically of course) do what some international students have done and leave the country never to repay the loan, they go to the co-signer. They came down really hard on lending straight to foreign students awhile back because enormous numbers of loans never got repaid by people who were essentially entirely out of reach of the lender. 

It seems like OP's brother would take out a US loan for a UK school. In which case, I think they should be fine without a cosigner. The brother just needs to be approved for the loan.