NSF GRFP 2008

cogdiss

I don't think so. Like I said, the woman I spoke to sounded like she genuinely had no idea, and told me not to "count on anything" yet.

I think someone else should call and see if we can figure out wtf is going on.

Also, no honorable mentions seem to be posted, and I haven't heard of anyone from MANY fields that have heard yet...I have a feeling they are still in-progress. But someone else should try calling! This is just beyond...whatever.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I just called, and they said the notifications some received on Fastlane are real but only a few people can access their notifications right now. That means some of us still have a chance and awards/HM/rejections emails from NSF should go out by either tomorrow or Wednesday (so the person said on the phone).

Congrats!

Wow. Honestly, I am in shock. So I guess it's ok to call my adviser now?

I really hope they get their shit together soon. And thanks for all of the support--I mean it. It sounds a little crazy but I don't know what I would have done without this forum.

Has anyone from Engineering been able to see their award letter on fastlane? Just trying to see if it was a discipline thing with who can/cannot see their awards on fastlane.

I'm not seeing anything on fastlane either.

Can someone please call the NSF again to verify? I called and the one who answered my phone said that the results won't be out until Wednesday at the earliest since they have to wait for the final award confirmation from the NSF. I'm not sure what that means. Looks like different persons give different answers. I guess I'm on the losers' list since my NSF page is still the same thing.

Has anyone from Engineering been able to see their award letter on fastlane? Just trying to see if it was a discipline thing with who can/cannot see their awards on fastlane.

I'm engineering and I've heard. I hope this is for real! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

This is just utterly cruel. I'm in mathematics and I haven't heard. I truly, madly, deeply hope that not all the awards have been posted yet. Some of you (snowcapk) seem to be excellent students, and your not receiving notice is the only silver lining in this--that maybe we still have hope.

Trust me, guys! If you log in and don't see any change to the fellows page, it means you don't get the award. It happened the same thing last year when I applied. This is my second time, but I know I already lost it since my applicants page never changes to fellows page. Don't listen to those NSF people answering your phone. They tried their best to have a sympathy for you, but the fact is they've already done with updating those applicants who get the award!

According the my experience from last year, they will send out an email rejecting you for the award. And that's it. That will be all you will get from them. Then they will clean up the applications, and you can't log in any more if you are not fellows. Oh, yeah, they will give you user id and password so you can log on to their web page that has the rating sheets. There, you can read whatever the so-called panelists commented on your applications. Last year, they had three rating sheets for each application. And the comments differ among panels; some say this, some say that. I think this is not about you are a good student or not, but it depends on who is reading your application.

infinite, stop being so pessimistic; some of us are genuinely freaking out here. and by the way, with all due respect, maybe you didn't get the award this year and last because you don't speaken la english good. Brush up on your articles and pronouns--being an engineer is no excuse.

math123,

My essays were reviewed and polished by my scholarship adviser, so I don't think there is a problem with the English skills. I still remember that one of the panelists last year commented on my application that my essays were well-written. I'm not trying to be so pessimistic, but to tell the truth. If we don't face it and still have a high hope, then we will be so very disappointed when the results come out.

Someone else on the board got an award for biophysics, which falls under life sciences. (Congrats dude!)

Did someone PM you about this or do you know the person personally. Looking at the previous posts, I could not find one.

These are the ones that I saw:

Econ (2x on other site)

bioengineering (engineering not biology) - campingisintense

engineering - materialgirl

psychology - cogdiss

Did I miss anyone? Either all of the awards are not out or people are not posting them. I am guessing winners are not posting.