Vanderbilt

Hello, all--

Congrats to the recent Vanderbilt admit.

I was wondering...has anyone else heard from Vanderbilt? Do they normally conduct their admissions in rounds?

Seeing that admit made me antsy--they are one of my two top programs for a Ph.D. in English. I have already been accepted to the other and now I'm aching to visit both and make a decision (should I be lucky enough to be accepted to both programs).

Let me know if any of you have any info!

Hello, all--

Congrats to the recent Vanderbilt admit.

I was wondering...has anyone else heard from Vanderbilt? Do they normally conduct their admissions in rounds?

Seeing that admit made me antsy--they are one of my two top programs for a Ph.D. in English. I have already been accepted to the other and now I'm aching to visit both and make a decision (should I be lucky enough to be accepted to both programs).

Let me know if any of you have any info!

Judging from the results last year, Vanderbilt seems to make decisions all on the same day. It seems like a lot of people on this board applied to Vanderbilt, so I think we would have seen more than one admit. I wouldn't give up hope yet. At least I hope we shouldn't have to...

I'm the one who posted the Vanderbilt admit...I got an email from the DGS last night around 5pm PST.

I too, think it sort of strange that nobody else has posted....it's making me worry that I've hallucinated an entire email exchange with the DGS, lol!

I obviously don't have any more information about how or when they notify applicants...I do know that MY email from the DGS went to my spam folder (No kidding!), so do be careful to check there.

She did mention that they received "well over 500 applications" this cycle, which seems like an awful lot to me. At any rate, I'm sure more people will be hearing soon!

Oh, and I should also mention that her email did say that they would be sending hard copy letters out "early next week." So -- if you are concerned that you might have deleted an email or something at least you know they plan to send those out pretty soon.

Edited by callmelilyb

Oh, and I should also mention that her email did say that they would be sending hard copy letters out "early next week." So -- if you are concerned that you might have deleted an email or something at least you know they plan to send those out pretty soon.

That is weird that there has been only one acceptance (according to the admissions updates). I thought, after looking at last year, that they sent admits all around the same time. Congratulations, though! I highly doubt it's a mistake.

Thanks for the response--I'll keep my eyes out for a letter....hopefully, one with good news comes!

Also, come to think of it, you could be one of their TOP applicants. The other school called me on the 29th and said the same sort of thing--that I was definitely in and nominated for a fellowship/guaranteed funding, but that it would be a little while before hard-copy acceptance letters and information are sent out.

Maybe they just want you that bad!!

I suppose I could be a "TOP" applicant...though hard for me to believe. I did of course get five years of funding (I believe all admits to the program do), and they are nominating me for the Provost's Graduate Fellowship....or actually she said I was nominated by the admissions committee and asked if I was interested in being considered for it...it's one of those "diversity applicants" things. I of course, said "Yes please!" -- who wouldn't want to be considered for an extra $10k a year?

Anyhow, perhaps because they wanted to ask me about the additional fellowship consideration, I got an early email? Who knows?

Now I'm going to be anxious until I get my hard copy materials in the mail! Maybe this is all just a dream and I'm about to wake up when I hit "Add reply..." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LilyB,

First, congratulations on being admitted into Vanderbilt. That is fabulous!! However, I was wondering if you've received a hard copy letter yet? Vanderbilt is a dream school for me, and I even received a really encouraging e-mail from Kathryn Schwarz saying that my interests and methodology were right in line with Vandy's English department and that she looked forward to reviewing my application, but I haven't gotten a clear "yay" or "nay." Bah-humbug. But, based on the boards, no one besides you has either. Eek.

Anyway, congrats once again!

Hi LilyB,

First, congratulations on being admitted into Vanderbilt. That is fabulous!! However, I was wondering if you've received a hard copy letter yet? Vanderbilt is a dream school for me, and I even received a really encouraging e-mail from Kathryn Schwarz saying that my interests and methodology were right in line with Vandy's English department and that she looked forward to reviewing my application, but I haven't gotten a clear "yay" or "nay." Bah-humbug. But, based on the boards, no one besides you has either. Eek.

Anyway, congrats once again!

Early this morning I received an unofficial acceptance from Kathryn Schwarz. She indicated that official letters will be going out later next week (Wednesday or Thursday--they don't have direct control over the release). Best of luck to you!

On 2/20/2010 at 11:17 AM, hinesaj said:

Early this morning I received an unofficial acceptance from Kathryn Schwarz. She indicated that official letters will be going out later next week (Wednesday or Thursday--they don't have direct control over the release). Best of luck to you!

Oh man, Hinesaj, that's really amazing for you. Congratulations. And, thanks for the information. Maybe I can calm myself down until the beginning of March, but I doubt it. ?

I too received my official letter of acceptance via the website yesterday. I did not receive any sort of notification that the status had been updated, just checked on my own accord (after having been notified unofficially be email) and there it was!