Florida

pizzapie

Has anyone heard anything from Florida yet? I'm really anxiously awaiting news from them, and I hope acceptances haven't already been given out. I haven't seen much on the results search, so hopefully they haven't decided yet.

Has anyone heard anything from Florida yet? I'm really anxiously awaiting news from them, and I hope acceptances haven't already been given out. I haven't seen much on the results search, so hopefully they haven't decided yet.

Hey, I'm not applying to UF but I do go there for undergrad and I know a lot of professors...which program are you applying for and which professors are you most interested in?

Ouch, the one department I really don't have much contact with. I don't know anything about Wynne nor do I know any grad students in behavior analysis, but if you are at all interested in Dr. Dallery I can vouch for him. I actually played golf with him once and he was a really cool, down to earth guy.

About the University of Florida...I would highly recommend it. Great city, great atmosphere, the psych department has great faculty members (although the building isn't much to look at!) I'm friends with a number of grad students and I don't hear many bad things at all. Very diverse group of grad students. I know a lot more about the counseling, clinical, and social psych programs if there's anyone else out there. As far as behavior analysis...that's all I've got. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else about UF or Gainesville, or other members of the psych department though, and as always, good luck!

Thanks for all of that information! It's good to hear anything at all. From what I've seen the program looks really good there and of course I've heard great things about the school in general. If I get in, don't be surprised if you get a PM.

Thanks for all of that information! It's good to hear anything at all. From what I've seen the program looks really good there and of course I've heard great things about the school in general. If I get in, don't be surprised if you get a PM.

I'd love to hear that good news, and I'll be in Gville to show you around too haha! Best of luck

• 3 weeks later...

I was contacted by Dr. Smith in the Cognitive/Behavioral Neuroscience program in late January and came to visit this past weekend (March 5th). I was informed during the visit about acceptance. However, I was not attending a "visitation weekend" so it is likely that different professors have different protocol. The admissions committee met Tuesday to do rankings and make decisions (for neuroscience) but my paperwork was being held (rather than mailed) -- in the event we did not get along.

I visited during Spring Break so I didn't really have an opportunity to meet many people outside of this specific program.

I was contacted by Dr. Smith in the Cognitive/behavioral Neuroscience program in late January and came to visit this past weekend (March 5th). I was informed during the visit about acceptance. However, I was not attending a "visitation weekend" so it is likely that different professors have different protocol. The admissions committee met Tuesday to do rankings and make decisions (for neuroscience) but my paperwork was being held (rather than mailed) -- in the event we did not get along.

I visited during Spring Break so I didn't really have an opportunity to meet many people outside of this specific program.

Congrats on getting in! I heard that they were supposed to meet and decide on Tuesday (I'm pretty sure for all sub-sections), so I'm thinking at this point that I didn't get in. Still, it's good to hear from someone who did.. thanks for letting me know!

Well, I finally broke down and contacted my POI after not hearing anything at all. It sounds like I'm essentially waitlisted, but they may not have an official waitlist (I haven't been accepted, but I haven't been denied yet, whereas others have). So if anyone has been accepted to Florida and does not want to go, please let them know whenever possible.

I got admitted into the social psych. program. Super stoked! UF rocks!!

Me too! I do not want to live in FL at all but everybody in the social program was super nice. It is proving to be an extremely hard decision...are you going to go? Where else did you get in?

the more i think about it the more foolish it is to give up a great opportunity at UF just to live in a place where i like the local culture and outdoor activities better.

I don't know your other options as far as outdoor activities, but Gainesville and the surrounding area is actually pretty good as far as that goes. We have a bunch of nature trails and kayak/canoe spots within 20 minutes or so, UF owns its own lake about 15 minutes off campus called Lake Wauberg, where you can rock climb, swim, paddleboat, etc. There are tons of camping and backpacking places within an hour or so drive, all involving backpacking, canoeing, and snorkeling. But if you like skiing, whitewater rafting, and other things like that then obviously it doesn't offer much there. UF does have an organization that plans weekend trips and provides transportation, food, gear and the like all for a very reasonable price. I'm going whitewater rafting in South Carolina next weekend through that organization, so it's a very outdoorsey community with some cool stuff nearby and opportunities to travel elsewhere.

the more i think about it the more foolish it is to give up a great opportunity at UF just to live in a place where i like the local culture and outdoor activities better.

Also, just to add to the mix of comments. One of the best things about Gainesville is that it is relatively close to so many of Florida's bigger metro areas (i.e. Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando). Each of those cities having their own local culture and feel.

Also, just to add to the mix of comments. One of the best things about Gainesville is that it is relatively close to so many of Florida's bigger metro areas (i.e. Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando). Each of those cities having their own local culture and feel.

Definitely. Just went to Tampa this weekend from Gville. Hey, who will you be working with here if you don't mind me asking? I guess that goes for everyone accepted to UF...I'm interested in what you guys will be studying and who you'll be working with.

Definitely. Just went to Tampa this weekend from Gville. Hey, who will you be working with here if you don't mind me asking? I guess that goes for everyone accepted to UF...I'm interested in what you guys will be studying and who you'll be working with.

Hey MKS, I'll PM you with that information. Looks like you have had a good amount of interest in your applications based on your acceptances/waitlists. What school are you leaning more toward accepting?

Hey MKS, I'll PM you with that information. Looks like you have had a good amount of interest in your applications based on your acceptances/waitlists. What school are you leaning more toward accepting?

Sounds good, I'll look for your PM. I'm leaning towards Colorado St. right now, but if I get in to Penn State I am most definitely attending there...from PA originally and would really like to get back. That's one thing I'll warn you about, if you're from the north and you're not used to it down here, it can be a bit exasperating! But Gainesville is much more tolerable than most other cities down here so good luck.