Advice on choosing an mpp/mpa program?

So I have decided I want to apply to an MPP or MPA program but I have to admit that I'm confused on where to apply. I want to work at a place like the urban institute, or another think tank but I'm not sure what schools can lead me to that path. Currently I'm working with AmeriCorps VISTA and living in the Midwest, so I'm looking at a number of school in my area and schools that give large tuition cuts to AmeriCorps alums, so places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Brandeis, and Duke. 

My big question is... will it be incredibly difficult to land a job at a place like Urban (or a job in DC) if I do not go to school in the mid-Atlantic area? 

You are already ahead of where I was at this time, because I didn't stumble upon this forum until my applications were in.

I'm on the east coast and applied to schools all over, eventually settling on Duke due to prestige/financial offer.  I'm not sure about where I want to end up ultimately but have considered DC and I know Duke has a strong network there, plus the brand seems transferable pretty much anywhere in the U.S.

For your situation, I would stick to east coast schools or U. Chicago, which also gives out a fair amount of money and has an elite brand.  You didn't mention any DC schools but there are several great ones (GW, GT, American) if your goal is to end up in DC, and at least a few of them (American, Maryland, GMU?) give out lots of money.  For perspective, I think I was a strong-but-not-elite candidate and I got offered 2/3 tuition from AU and a full ride from Maryland.  If they give out AmeriCorps grants as well then that would basically have you covered.  The other great thing (for your purposes) about the DC schools is that most of them have classes at night with the goal of you working or interning during the day.  So you could easily be interning/working at Urban Institute or another think tank while you're getting your degree.

As for your last question, I don't think it will be incredibly difficult to land the job you want if staying in the midwest.  Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan all have well-known programs and can surely connect you with some helpful people in DC.  I do think it will be more difficult, however, than if you were on the east coast (or Chicago).  As for Brandeis, I've heard from several people who visited that the newness and smallness of the program, as well as the heavy social policy emphasis (and lack of quant) scared them off.  They do give lots of money though.

I hope this helps.  I'll check back if you have more questions, or you can PM me if you'd like me to elaborate.

On 6/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, timhorton said:

So I have decided I want to apply to an MPP or MPA program but I have to admit that I'm confused on where to apply. I want to work at a place like the urban institute, or another think tank but I'm not sure what schools can lead me to that path. Currently I'm working with AmeriCorps VISTA and living in the Midwest, so I'm looking at a number of school in my area and schools that give large tuition cuts to AmeriCorps alums, so places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Brandeis, and Duke. 

My big question is... will it be incredibly difficult to land a job at a place like Urban (or a job in DC) if I do not go to school in the mid-Atlantic area? 

Frankly it's hard to recommend a school because it's unclear what your profile is (GPA, Undergrad institution, GRE,  work experience, etc.)

To get a clearer answer to your question, you should look at the employment reports of the schools you are targeting. And look on LinkedIn and see where alumni end up.