UCLA - a ghost department? Or: how to get in touch?

someDay

I noticed some UCLA acceptances crop up in the results list. Which is weird, because I thought UCLA's maths department is just a bloody scam. They do not reply to emails and don't answer the phone. Does the department really exist?

So, two months ago I applied, sent off the uni application and duly paid the application fee. To be fair, I only submitted the departmental application after the Christmas break, but according to their website this was fine. I asked them some questions via e-mail before I applied, but they never got back to me. They probably were busy buying expensive christmas presents with all the $ they got from applicants.

However, I got the following email in the middle of January:

We have not received your following application materials:

1. Three Letters of Recommendation

2. Transcripts

3. TOEFL

Thank you,

Martha Contreras

It would have been too much of a hassle to tell me what exactly is missing so that I can resend it. It probably also would've been too much work to reply to enquiries what exactly is missing. Or answer the phone. Neither do they update the status page. To be fair, my TOEFL is indeed missing. Somehow I assumed they'd waive that for British applicants?

I perfectly accept they're under financial strains and the department probably doesn't get any of the 90$ application fee, but I expect an minimum level of service and this does include telling me which supporting documents are missing. The cost of posting everything via registered mail is prohibitive for international applicants.

Did someone get the same email and manage to trick them into replying? Or confirm that this is their "you're out!" email? My *hope* is that only the TOEFL was "missing" and they realised their mistake.

thanks.

sD.

Edited by someDay

I applied to there Statistics program and have heard nothing back. At first, one of the graduate admin. staff members would answer all my emails, but as of late, they have answered none. Granted I only sent one email since January, Im guessing they are swamped.

Unfortunately all I can do is confirm that you're not the only one who's received the cold shoulder from UCLA. I sent an email when I noticed that my application status was never updated on their website. (The last time it was updated was the day before I sent in any of my materials, December 10). After I got no response, I tried calling... no luck. I have to say, though, your story makes mine sound like nothing. The best I can do is wish you good luck... and ask you to throw a post on here if you ever contact them in some miraculous way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd take it as a good sign! A number of schools seem to send out some acceptances, then a huge wave of rejections, followed by a handful of acceptances and wait-listings. UCLA is definitely past the huge wave of rejections phase (I got mine. yay.), so be positive.

sD.

I have not yet received any news from UCLA, and they have not replied to an email I sent over a week ago. Are there others in this situation? There are both acceptances and rejections posted on the results page.

i'm in the same boat. same with cornell as well...

i'm in the same boat. same with cornell as well...

I have also not received any news from UCLA yet. Seeing that mailing them doesnt usually work, would calling them work? Considering the April 15 deadline, do you know approximately how much longer it would take them to make a final decision ?