History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your field? I am originally from Idaho, and I wouldn't suggest attending any of the schools in the state for an MA unless you are specifically interested in water rights, the environment, or the history of the West. They also have fairly good programs in the sciences, especially health-related fields.

They are fantastically cheap, though. When I graduated from high school in 2001, in-state tuition was around $1500 a year. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't take them up on it.

P.S. People from Idaho and Montana consider tbemselves to be from the West, not the mid-West. You'll get a lot of puzzled stares if you lump us together with N.Dakota.

Has anyone identified some of these programs? I'm interested...

Actually my history professors told me NOT to apply to any history MA programs. They thought it'd be a waste of time since I'd pick up the MA on the way to the PhD and i wouldn't get funding (I don't have perfect GRE scores or a GPA of 3.7+). And what I've seen on LJ Community for applyingtograd, top history programs don't really want anyone with MA in history unless you didn't do history in undergrad because of different "training" approaches- they'd essentially have to train you all over again. Whatever. But I'm looking at MA programs for Jewish Studies which should make me even more attractive candidate two years from now... only two with late deadlines and the rest, well I'm going have to grovel. :)

Actually my history professors told me NOT to apply to any history MA programs. They thought it'd be a waste of time since I'd pick up the MA on the way to the PhD and i wouldn't get funding (I don't have perfect GRE scores or a GPA of 3.7+). And what I've seen on LJ Community for applyingtograd, top history programs don't really want anyone with MA in history unless you didn't do history in undergrad because of different "training" approaches- they'd essentially have to train you all over again. Whatever. But I'm looking at MA programs for Jewish Studies which should make me even more attractive candidate two years from now... only two with late deadlines and the rest, well I'm going have to grovel. :)

my advisor said the same thing, and most of the programs I'd want to study in don't offer terminal MAs. I know some schools do though...for those of you thinking of going this route, does it matter if the program you do your MA in have good professors in your subfield? I feel like I might have a hard time looking for an MA program with folks who study what I'm hoping to study (cold war/public policy)...but if I don't get in anywhere maybe next year when I apply again, I'll look into those too? what is everyones opinion?

Hmm.... I had always heard that an MA was a fantastic way to make up for a low undergraduate GPA or to improve your theoretical understanding of history. From what I have seen on this board, though, it doesn't seem like having an MA has been too advantageous for people. Personally, I would contact individual departments to find out why you were rejected. If the reason was your Statement of Purpose was weak, receiving an MA may or may not help that. Also, keep in mind that the quality of the program will matter A LOT. Will an MA in history from a third tier research institution help your chances? Maybe not.

On a side note, I received my funding info from the University of Michigan and it said that they had nominated for me for a Rackham Merit Fellowship. I did some more research on it and the websites say that it was created to help disadvantaged and minority applicants make graduate study affordable. I am as lilly white as can be, so I must fall into the disadvantaged category. Were the other people accepted to Michigan nominated for this fellowship as well? From what I can tell, if I receive it, it will knock off a year of TAing and give me a slightly higher stipend than the 15,200 promised by my award.

I don't think it hurts that badly because i know someone who has a masters and still was accepted to a phd program. I heard it was good if you have a low undergrad GPA, although what constitutes "low" i have no idea because Berkeley wants a minimum 3.0 or something for history. I've been in MA classes, and I have to say, I don't think they have very stringent admissions standards... When people are saying things like "i'll do more research" does anyone know what that means? I mean, does this mean you go to archives and write papers, etc?

This has become a horrible, hideous form of procrastination, and I should really be doing my French translation homework now...

On a side note, I received my funding info from the University of Michigan and it said that they had nominated for me for a Rackham Merit Fellowship. I did some more research on it and the websites say that it was created to help disadvantaged and minority applicants make graduate study affordable. I am as lilly white as can be, so I must fall into the disadvantaged category. Were the other people accepted to Michigan nominated for this fellowship as well? From what I can tell, if I receive it, it will knock off a year of TAing and give me a slightly higher stipend than the 15,200 promised by my award.

Hey Amanda,

I didn't get that offer -- just the 2 year fellowship/3 year GSI thing. Perhaps the fact that you are an older student and have been on your own for a while would account for the "disadvantaged" part? (I'm not hallucinating that detail, right?) Though I feel like "non-traditional" might be a less...awkward...adjective for that demographic. :lol:

P.S. People from Idaho and Montana consider tbemselves to be from the West, not the mid-West. You'll get a lot of puzzled stares if you lump us together with N.Dakota.

True enough, but most of the folks I've talked to from Montana say they cheer for the Vikings and the Wild (Minnesota sports teams, in case any of you have the same blank expression as my girlfriend just drew). They can be honorary Minnesotans, if they like.

p.s. Minnesota considers itself "The Northland." We don't like being lumped in with Iowa, or people who believe cheese is a fashion accessory. =)

Perhaps the fact that you are an older student

Ouch! I have never felt so positively ancient. I hope that 24 years old isn't too old for a graduate student. :wink:

I have been on my own for a while. I decided to do Teach for America after I graduated, and after my commitment to them was over, I agreed to do an extra year. When I graduated, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do and I wasn't ready to apply to graduate school yet. TFA seemed like a way good way to delay decisions about what I wanted to do with my life.

Ouch! I have never felt so positively ancient. I hope that 24 years old isn't too old for a graduate student. :wink:

Ancient not implied! :oops: I meant "older" in the sense of "not just blindly stumbling from undergrad into grad school in the attempt to prolong the awesomeness that is college." (Not that any of the extremely motivated people on these boards would be doing that!) And "on your own" in the sense of "not a Trustifarian, whose time between grad and undergrad would have been entirely subsidized by generous parents."

And yay TFA! I know a lot of really awesome people in that program, and have heard stories both terrifying and heartwarming.

It's all right. I was teasing you, mostly. One of the advantages of starting Kindergarten when you are four is that you have some time to play around with what you want to do before deciding what you want to do with your life without risking being ancient when you finally decide.

About TFA: If we both end up at Michigan, I promise to add hilarious to that category. My students are nothing, if not occasionally ridiculous.

What is your field? I am originally from Idaho, and I wouldn't suggest attending any of the schools in the state for an MA unless you are specifically interested in water rights, the environment, or the history of the West. They also have fairly good programs in the sciences, especially health-related fields.

They are fantastically cheap, though. When I graduated from high school in 2001, in-state tuition was around $1500 a year. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't take them up on it.

My field, if I were a historian, would be environmental history. Probably not water rights but water does fascinate me. I'm really into parks, tourism, and fire.

I can't keep all the applications straight, but did Michigan ask about certain undergrad fellowships/research opportunities? If you had one of those, maybe that puts you in the "disadvantaged and minority candidate pile." Or maybe they don't have a lot of people from Idaho and you make their numbers more diverse!

Keep in mind that Michigan was involved in the affirmative action cases and had to retool their entire admissions process to try and figure out how to attract and accept minority candidates without directly asking, giving points, and the like. Hence their diversity essay in the graduate application. Maybe you wrote about something that lets them nominate you? Whatever the reason, it'd be cool if you got it.

I'

I don't know, but I would sure like to know. I've got an SO who wants to know if it's worth it to apply to BU...

I don't know, but I would sure like to know. I've got an SO who wants to know if it's worth it to apply to BU... :lol:

I am about to find out if it was worth it to apply to BU. BU has a decent program, but I was mainly applying because they have a number of international relations historians.

"We've received a number of requests for information about admissions; you should receive something in the mail soon, in the next week or so. If you do not, call me." Harvard's history department graduate studies coordinator.

She asked for my name, which I told her. I thought that was a bit odd. I do hope it is not for Santa's (John Harvard's) Naughty-Nice List for being a bad boy who called...

I really wish they would just all notify... Right now, my schedule for March is already a bit full and it would be nice to know if I need to move things around a bit. I am going to California next weekend (to visit friends), Idaho that week for a bridal shower, Michigan that weekend (for a visit day), back to Idaho to plan a wedding, and then Wisconsin the following weekend (for a visit day).

Boston College: I don't care if your answer is a yes or no. I would just really like to know!

Also, it would be nice to know if my implicit rejections (NYU and Princeton) are really rejections or waitlists.

Also, it would be nice to know if my implicit rejections (NYU and Princeton) are really rejections or waitlists.

I'd say it is almost impossible to determine if they are using a waitlist at the moment as no one seems to have been formally rejected [yet from Princeton].

I know... I just wish they would let us know. We sent in our applications MONTHS ago, and surely if they have their acceptances (Princeton) and interviews (NYU) notified, they know who is going to be rejected and whether or not they'll have a waitlist.

I just wish the system was a lot more transparent.