History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

^^ I know :( I'm in process of "appealing" my decision by shifting my application from one department to another at one of my schools and I have to write a new SOP and spend this weekend polishing up portions of my thesis to be submitted for a new writing sample (b/c the professor mentioned that she would've liked to see it when she gave me feedback for my PhD and she's on the adcom in the other department). And I'm still waiting out on one more school that will actually cause me to flip out when I finally get the news!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the front page, numerous people got Chicago acceptances today. Anybody care to post more details, like who the email was from (adviser or DGS), if it was an individual email or a mass mailing, etc?

Hey everyone!

I was perusing the results this morning and saw two UNC acceptances. If those people are reading, do you have any info? That would be awesome -- I'm down to waiting to hear from two, and UNC is one of them! Thanks and big congrats. :)

I feel for you. I would hate to have to write another SOP, but I didn't know that you could appeal application decisions.

Not so much of an "appeal" but more of asking for a second look at my application by a different department :) Actually I like this new SOP much, much better than my old one. Now polishing my thesis for them... that's a different story and I should be on it now instead of procrasinating!

I got my first rejection today ! Northwestern. Not surprised and not disappointed.

Sorry to hear that, dizzydancer. But seriously, what's up with Northwestern?!!? I still haven't heard anything, and from the recent post on the results page, I'm not the only one. Unless someone's sitting there on a Saturday manually entering each rejection into the computer system, I don't get what's going on. The visit is in two weeks, so it would be really nice to know either way :(

Updates on Columbia.

According to a friend of mine at Columbia (History department), the decisions of admissions will made (I guess finalized) this Friday, and that the admitted students will receive a FEDEX overnight package, or a email rejection -.-. So probably there will be some kind of news by next Monday.

So... if I am away from home this weekend and don't receive a rejection email, it would be a good thing? Sweet.

Hey UT people- just wanted to post here too in case you were no longer checkin the UT post because of a rejection...I was rejected on the website and just received a letter admitting me into the program without funding...it is from the graduate adviser in the history dept. and it was dated Feb. 27- the website still states that I was rejected. I will call on Monday but maybe there's hope?!

What an apropos username. This strikes me as bizarre. I wonder which is the real and which is the fake... Or maybe they're both real? Either way, let us know!

According to the front page, numerous people got Chicago acceptances today. Anybody care to post more details, like who the email was from (adviser or DGS), if it was an individual email or a mass mailing, etc?

Email was sent from the department chair, indicating acceptance and funding. It notes that it is unofficial and that official package will follow in the mail.

If it was the department chair, I am assuming Professor Bruce Cumings sent out the emails. Did he mention the number of applicants the department accepted this year? Have all the acceptance emails been sent out?

It is an individual email, and it doesn't say how many were accepted or how many emails were sent.

Sorry to hear that, dizzydancer. But seriously, what's up with Northwestern?!!? I still haven't heard anything, and from the recent post on the results page, I'm not the only one. Unless someone's sitting there on a Saturday manually entering each rejection into the computer system, I don't get what's going on. The visit is in two weeks, so it would be really nice to know either way :(

As an update, my status page FINALLY changed to show my NW rejection. Not surprised, considering the faculty match wasn't good (story of my life; I wish my advisors had been more helpful when I was deciding where to apply...).

Another question for everyone, while I'm posting: How much have you been contacted by faculty at the schools to which you've been accepted? With one school the profs in my area have e-mailed me, and with another I haven't heard a word. I'm just trying to figure out which of these (if any) is "normal practice." Thanks!

I am not sure.

The professor at Cornell who called me with the offer of admission encouraged me to call or email him with any questions. As for the other schools, with the exception of emails from potential advisers, I have not had further communication.

Hey everyone!

I was perusing the results this morning and saw two UNC acceptances. If those people are reading, do you have any info? That would be awesome -- I'm down to waiting to hear from two, and UNC is one of them! Thanks and big congrats. :)

I don't have much more than the blurb I wrote - I'm in but not funded yet. That being said, the crew at UNC-CH have sent me quite a few emails saying not to worry, and I'll end up getting funded as soon as everything shakes itself out. In the meantime, my advisor has recommended I apply for a third-party fellowship, as they'd likely give more of a stipend than UNC could afford if/when they get the money available.

I don't have much more than the blurb I wrote - I'm in but not funded yet. That being said, the crew at UNC-CH have sent me quite a few emails saying not to worry, and I'll end up getting funded as soon as everything shakes itself out. In the meantime, my advisor has recommended I apply for a third-party fellowship, as they'd likely give more of a stipend than UNC could afford if/when they get the money available.

It's great that they're giving you that kind of assurance. I *am* curious about the funding thing -- everywhere that's accepted me has waited to do it until they've either been able to give me a package, or to say "we're funding you -- details on the way." It's interesting to see how different places do it! I don't seem to remember the UNC app being due much later than others, so I wonder why their funding isn't set yet. Would it have to do with budget stuff, negotiations, or the NC legislature? All conjecture, of course.

My other question (if you don't mind) -- what history field are you in? Just wondering if my subfield has started telling people yet.

Again, congrats, and I hope they get it all worked out quickly and to your satisfaction! :)

What external fellowships have application deadlines this late? I would love to know.

Does anyone know if the UNC-CH email was a mass email or individualized? Did any US/International historians hear back?

EDIT: Called the UNC office and they said "No. Not all decisions have been made. Some may take until April 1." I read into this "Some people may be on the wait list... a secret waitlist(?)"

EDIT: Called the UNC office and they said "No. Not all decisions have been made. Some may take until April 1." I read into this "Some people may be on the wait list... a secret waitlist(?)"

Thanks for the update. April 1-- wow! Do they have an official visit weekend between then and April 15th, or is it individualized? Can any accepted people weigh in? Just curious.

My UNC acceptance was a personalized letter from the History Director of Graduate Studies.

They recommend visiting one of the first two weekends of April and offered $300 towards buying a plane ticket out there.

My UNC acceptance was a personalized letter from the History Director of Graduate Studies.

They recommend visiting one of the first two weekends of April and offered $300 towards buying a plane ticket out there.

This is great info, Pegona. I really appreciate it! :)

(Of course, I have to go do bridesmaid-ly duties the first weekend of April, so that's unlikely to help me much, should I get the nod...think that I can get them to move the shower to Chapel Hill, NC?) :lol: