History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Get me out of New York! I mean, if I get into Columbia and both Pton and Harvard turn me down, I'd absolutely go, but I've had enough of this city. After working in NYC for the past year to save up $ for grad school, I've realized it is too damn expensive here. Even younger attorneys at my law firm who make gobs and gobs of money, often have very modest apartments, and I am not even a lawyer; suffice to say, I do not make gobs and gobs of money.

I don't know how one can live on a grad student's budget in NYC!

Yeah, well, I'm pretty convinced from him not even dropping the slightest hint that I'm not getting in. So much so, that I'm applying to Hunter's MA for the April 1 deadline because it feeds directly to the Grad Center.

You went to NYU? I know what you mean about leaving NY, I feel very much the same way right now.

Ah you're applying to hunter too!?! Haha, that's so great, I'm doing the same! We really are competition!

I applied to CUNY but without funding so I don't think i'll hear from then for some time, I hoped if they didn't have to give me money I would have a better chance of getting in...

The thought of leaving NY has hindered my desire to apply to a lot of places... If the school location requires driving, that's kind of the end of it for me. I can walk to Hunter. Plus I live at home so living expenses aren't too big of a deal.

Yar. Dinged by Duke. I called them and they said if you have not recieved notification yet (the letters were sent out two weeks ago), you have been rejected.

Columbia cannot give out info over the phone, but the administrator says that all letters were sent out via snail mail at the end of last week. As I live in the NYC area, hopefully I should recieve the news today. My hopes aren't too high at this point, but... well... who knows!

Columbia cannot give out info over the phone, but the administrator says that all letters were sent out via snail mail at the end of last week. As I live in the NYC area, hopefully I should recieve the news today. My hopes aren't too high at this point, but... well... who knows!

Really? because I got an email from columbia saying they haven't sent out anything yet...?

Hi all, I wanted to post (for the first time) with an update and question re NYU acceptances.

First, I heard I've been accepted this morning, very excited ! (by phone, no email or anything yet)

Second, my boyfriend is also waiting for news so I still have a vested interest in what NYU are doing re their acceptances. We have both been confused because we are internationals, and so heard nothing about the prospective weekend at all (until it was happening). I thought that meant bad news, and had given up. Then, suddenly, we both got an email saying 'We are reviewing applications, we are very interested in you, we haven't made final decisions yet but please contact faculty you want to work with to make preliminary arrangements to begin.' etc. I had no idea what this meant, except that we were somehow both still in the running (but maybe waitlisted? maybe not? was this just a formality? confusion!!!)

Anyway, as I just said, I've heard Im in, via a phone call from the lovely faculty I did contact as the email suggested. Very excited, but also anxious to hear news for my boyfriend. NYU is his top choice and I would love to move to New York with him and not by myself!

Anyone else a definite yes/no from NYU? Or knows what is happening?

Thanks!

Yar. Dinged by Duke. I called them and they said if you have not recieved notification yet (the letters were sent out two weeks ago), you have been rejected.

I just did the same thing to hear it for myself, and yup, they passed on me too. Oh well! Like I told her, it simplifies my decision. :P

BC08,

The graduate administrative assistant @ Duke is never at her phone. I just got (un)lucky today!

Yeah, I had to call a few times, and I'll say that she didn't exactly sound thrilled upon picking up the phone. :P She transferred me to someone else though, who was very nice about telling me that letters had gone out.

For those Indiana acceptances out there, I was talking to a grad student today (not at Indiana) who was practically an advertisement for the Indiana program, lol. He was saying that he works with a prof (at a different university) who had taught at Indiana and maintains good connections with the faculty there who have been a tremendous help to him in his work (Progressive era stuff, which I think at least one person here mentioned being in). Just really nice things to say about their faculty there, which was nice to hear (and made me wish my interests fit better with their faculty, ah well).

For those Indiana acceptances out there, I was talking to a grad student today (not at Indiana) who was practically an advertisement for the Indiana program, lol. He was saying that he works with a prof (at a different university) who had taught at Indiana and maintains good connections with the faculty there who have been a tremendous help to him in his work (Progressive era stuff, which I think at least one person here mentioned being in). Just really nice things to say about their faculty there, which was nice to hear (and made me wish my interests fit better with their faculty, ah well).

:mrgreen: YAY! I would love any more info about this, actually. I wonder if the helpful prof is Michael McGerr, who is one of their big Progressive-era guys...

Really looking forward to visiting IUB. They seem like really nice people, for lack of a better description. :lol:

The non-funding deadline is Mar 1, I think. CUNY loses a lot of students (so I've been told) because they don't have nearly as much funding as other schools, and they don't offer paid for health insurance for the students they do fund.

I had to apply for funding, because my parents aren't going to fund this part of my education, and while living at home is king (what's rent?) - I'm on Long Island, and I've been promising myself for a year that if and when I go to graduate school, I'm not going to spend a hour 15 min on the train everyday.

Yeah, we live in midtown so it's not so bad. While I'd love to live to on my own, I'd rather save the money... after NYU, though, CUNY tuition is so cheap I think I might be able to swing it if I got a decent paying job... I hope.

CUNY loses a lot of students (so I've been told) because they don't have nearly as much funding as other schools, and they don't offer paid for health insurance for the students they do fund.

I had to apply for funding, because my parents aren't going to fund this part of my education, and while living at home is king (what's rent?) - I'm on Long Island, and I've been promising myself for a year that if and when I go to graduate school, I'm not going to spend a hour 15 min on the train everyday.

Wait, universities pay for health insurance? I'm getting robbed! Also, think of all the reading/language study/sleep you could get in on the train. I'd do it.

Wait, universities pay for health insurance? I'm getting robbed! Also, think of all the reading/language study/sleep you could get in on the train. I'd do it.

Yup, they generally due from what I've heard.... if they say full-funding then it does include health insurance as it's already part of the comprehensive tutition/board/room fees (Remember when you had to tell the Fin-Aid office to opt you out of the school's health insurance if you could still stay on your parents'?) Since I won't get kicked off the health insurance until I'm 26- not getting into PhD programs right now is a good thing.... then when I reapply when I'm 24.. I'll be covered for another 3 years by the school after I'm up with my parents' insurance! :D

I agree about the commute- it'll be a consideration if I get in NYU as i have grandparents on Long Island that'll give me my own room. The only trick is remembering to wake up at my stop on the way back from the city! :) I really did get a lot of my summer reading done when I commuted to work in DC for a couple summers. 40 minutes can make a difference!

I do get TONS of reading and sleeping done...the language study is harder, as I need more quiet for that, I typically do that in the language lab since I have to log hours as a requirement for the classes anyway...I try not to sleep as much with the way that my schedule is..I'm in class most nights until after 7 and I take an 815 train home, so sleeping then makes me wired and not able to sleep when i get home.

I agree about the commute- it'll be a consideration if I get in NYU as i have grandparents on Long Island that'll give me my own room. The only trick is remembering to wake up at my stop on the way back from the city! :) I really did get a lot of my summer reading done when I commuted to work in DC for a couple summers. 40 minutes can make a difference!

The commute isn't terrible...it is expensive, not an expensive as NYC housing, of course. I've been doing it for 4 yars and I'm ready to get off of that LIRR train and into the city.

It is also relatively quick if you're going to Nassau county and not Suffolk, like me. As far as waking up for your stop, fortunately I'm at the very last stop on my line, so I don't have to worry about missing it. I've been woken up by the conductors more times than I can count though.

The commute isn't terrible...it is expensive, not an expensive as NYC housing, of course. I've been doing it for 4 yars and I'm ready to get off of that LIRR train and into the city.

It is also relatively quick if you're going to Nassau county and not Suffolk, like me. As far as waking up for your stop, fortunately I'm at the very last stop on my line, so I don't have to worry about missing it. I've been woken up by the conductors more times than I can count though.

I used to commute from central jersey and it does get tiring after awhile...

Good luck! I think you'll be accepted, though, and don't need the luck!

ticklemepink said:

Yup, they generally due from what I've heard.... if they say full-funding then it does include health insurance as it's already part of the comprehensive tutition/board/room fees (Remember when you had to tell the Fin-Aid office to opt you out of the school's health insurance if you could still stay on your parents'?) Since I won't get kicked off the health insurance until I'm 26- not getting into PhD programs right now is a good thing.... then when I reapply when I'm 24.. I'll be covered for another 3 years by the school after I'm up with my parents' insurance! :D

This varies by school. I know my current institution pays part of our health insurance but we still pay over $800/year for our health insurance. I wouldn't assume that it's included, but I know it's more commonly included in the Midwest and at private institutions. Just saying because it isn't actually part of the comprehensive fees for grad students at my school.

rising_star said:

This varies by school. I know my current institution pays part of our health insurance but we still pay over $800/year for our health insurance. I wouldn't assume that it's included, but I know it's more commonly included in the Midwest and at private institutions. Just saying because it isn't actually part of the comprehensive fees for grad students at my school.

That's true, plus what you get may vary --some internal fellowship include dental and others are just health. The mid-sized public university I'm getting my MA from doesn't fund any kind of insurance, even for PhDs... in fact, they don't fund much of anything, but that's another story. Quite a few of the schools I looked at for PhD only either didn't fund insurance or had an opt-in system with partial funding.

BC08,

I am very much in that boat. I really wish right now that I had applie to Masters programs. My best hopes right now are probably UNC (as a technical in-state student thought I don't live there presently) or BU (not an overly difficult program to get into it seems). Harvard would be sweet as my best faculty match is there, but, judging my track record, it is probably not going to happen right now.

Well, it looks like it will time soon enough to start boning up for the GREs again, probably writing a new sample essay or significantly overhauling my current one, and finding masters programs that accept for the Spring 2009 semester. Oh, and apply for a new job in the meantime, because this one isn't really helping me get into g-school. Bleh.