History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

Apparently, according to the Dept of History, the graduate admissions office at BU has been awful this year about losing things. I had to re-ask one of my recommenders twice to send his letter and the office apparently lost my personal statement... the one that was electronically submitted with the rest of the application...

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things of note: One regarding GRE scores and Graduate School Admissions people, most of my applications appeared to not have my GRE scores back in Jan., and it turned out that all of the fancy computer software programs they run could not link my last name to my GRE scores because I have a suffix (III). Got to love technology.

Finally, has anyone heard anything from Northwestern Yet?

That is all from me.

Waiting for: Northwestern, UNC, Maryland, Montana State.

Rejected: Michigan State

Accepted: No where...:(

Wow, missycari, you're certainly cleaning up--congrats! :mrgreen:

Someone on ApplyCorner posted that he got into Rutgers. Has anyone heard anything?

Eahistory, I haven't heard anything from Northwestern yet, but that seems to be a trend among the schools to which I applied :|

You guys - I just got the e-mail - I'm in at Princeton! So excited. Not a mass e-mail (it included an attachment with my name on it), but I do think you can expect to hear today if you're in. Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats! You've really been getting the nods, missycari!

Here's a question for people who have had some acceptances -- how do you plan to decide? I'm going to be taking a week off and heading out to Indiana and Michigan to meet with people, which should help. But ultimately I know I'm going to have to choose. Basically, I'm so grateful to everyone that accepted me that I want to go everywhere. ::rolls eyes at self!::

Hang on, Cornell. It's definitely a one by one thing going on because I got a letter with my name on it. But I think it will be today. Here's hoping!

Here's hoping, indeed! Let's just say, I hope that it is not alphabetically by last name :)

Many huge congrats to you missycari. You have some awesomely difficult decisions to make.

Someone on ApplyCorner posted that he got into Rutgers. Has anyone heard anything?

My status still hasn't changed, but I got an email earlier this week from the prof who does the American History evals. I ended up calling her and we chatted about the school and the area and the profs. She said that there has been a lot of interest in my research (blush!)and that letters should be going out in the next few days. So I guess that means I'm in? Otherwise they're being hella cruel. :lol: I'll wait til I have a letter in hand saying explicitly that I'm in before I post it on the big board, though.

I don't know if ranting is allowed in this thread, but I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat: I know deep down inside that I would have been contacted by now if I'd been accepted to certain schools, but can't help believing that "no news is good news." I don't live in the U.S., so that thin, sad envelope is going to take a while to arrive.

I don't know if ranting is allowed in this thread, but I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat: I know deep down inside that I would have been contacted by now if I'd been accepted to certain schools, but can't help believing that "no news is good news." I don't live in the U.S., so that thin, sad envelope is going to take a while to arrive.

Everyday, my friend. It's gotten especially bad since so many people on this board have receive incredible offers and advance notice from faculty members, while I have heard nary a word from any of my 8 schools. Needless to say I've been obsessing over my GPA, senior year courseload, my admittedly diffuse SOP, and my thesis which I sent in its 70-page entirety as my sample, and which I feel is overly light on primary source material.

I know how you feel BC08... My writing sample was also light on primary source material, which can be difficult to obtain when you are funding yourself and going to school in the rural mountain west.

One of the things that has helped me this application season is to remember that I knew it would be hard going in. I am in a relatively understudied area of British history with few professors at major research universities. I only applied to three universities with professors who focused on my specific subfield. The rest were universities with professors who studied British history with similar thematic interests and who were sympathetic to my plight (Interestly, my best offer so far has come from one of these).

Even those who were sympathetic let me know I might have a hard time in committee because of my interests and that if they weren't able to let me in, it wasn't necessarily because of my numbers or abilities.

The advantage of studying in an understudied area of British history, though, is that if you do interesting work in grad school you can become a top scholar in your field more quickly. :)

amanda,

I am in a similar boat. I study US foreign policy in manner that few people study and, often, many professors look down on. The undergraduate professor of mine who introduced me to this manner warned me about the controversy about it. Very few people study it in this way and those who do are limited to a very few select programs like Harvard, which makes my life much harder.

So, I applied mostly to people who study modern us military and foreign policy and even stretched it to people studying modern US history.

On a side note: UNC tells me that acceptances are going to be very staggered this year with the final ones possibly being as late as April 1.

Congrats! You've really been getting the nods, missycari!

Here's a question for people who have had some acceptances -- how do you plan to decide? I'm going to be taking a week off and heading out to Indiana and Michigan to meet with people, which should help. But ultimately I know I'm going to have to choose. Basically, I'm so grateful to everyone that accepted me that I want to go everywhere. ::rolls eyes at self!::

Thanks!!!

I.. don't know how I am going to make my choice, but I'm not complaining. I'll visit the schools I can fit in - but I am still an undergrad (working on an honors thesis which I hope not to neglect completely) so my schedule's rather tight. Geography is realistically going to play a role in which schools I most seriously consider (I am from the east coast). But, it's going to be tough. I know what you mean, I want to go everywhere too!

Cornell and groundball...

I guess we'll just have be so innotative and fantastic that we generate interest in our field again. The bonus in my subfield is that it is beginning to change and become more innotative, which is beginning to translate into more interest in the United States but hasn't resulted in more opportunities for grad school... yet.

NSGoddess Q and other Michigan acceptees - are you going to the official admit day or going early? I plan to attend the official visit day, even though it means that I have to rearrange some things I had already planned.

groundball, amanda,

I study applied history for foreign policy makers, which is basically studied by one really awesome, old guy at Harvard cross-connected with the History Department and the Kennedy School, another two guys at Yale, and some people cross-connected between the Woodrow Wilson School and the History Dept at Princeton. It's the "applied" part that really irks some people and the part that has fascinated me. I find it odd that so few people study this topic considering many policy makers have used history to formulate their plans and how many continue to do so everyday (often with disastrous consequences). If we really study history so that we don

NSGoddess Q and other Michigan acceptees - are you going to the official admit day or going early? I plan to attend the official visit day, even though it means that I have to rearrange some things I had already planned.

As things stand, I'll be at the official visit day...having done Amtrak cross-country the day before. (aughhh...I really don't like to fly; not to mention that it's beastly expensive.) We'll have to make sure that we say hi!