History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

I do wonder about option 2 and 3. I know that universities have policies on how much benefits their employees can get from their services. I mean for example, my local university won't allow any staff member to give their children half off the tutition until they've worked at least 5 years or something like that. That's something to consider if you're only doing these programs only because you'd be applying for jobs there.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to say that I am AMAZED how some of us are still down to ONE school. And we're scrambling to get our MA applications together (I'm working on a SOP as we speak). :shock: I mean, I did contact the administrative assistant at NYU on Monday to see what's up and she said that decisions would be out shortly. I mean, I'm reading that as in another week. And I feel as if when that 5 PM rolls around each day without news from NYU, it means... back to the drawing board for a bit that night. I am moving forward just so that if things fall apart there, at least I'm already doing something to get in somewhere next fall. You know?

If somehow we manage to get in that last school, I feel as if they owe us something for driving us nuts into making Plan Bs instead of us owing them with our dedication and labor.

I wish I can believe in that irony of getting past the month of February but when my school has yet to reject or accept any applicants, it means nothing. But i do think it'd be true for Penn.

Ouch. My sympathies to all Columbia people. :( That Results page should make you feel better to see only very few people who got in (I know it did when I didn't get in Penn). At least you guys can be at peace after driving yourselves crazy for the past 5 days. :)

At least...go out and drink or something. Forget that grad school even existed.

It looks like both history and english were kill zones this year.

It honestly wasn't this bad when I applied two years ago. One of my programs this year had double (yes, double!) the amount of applicants from the year before. Jesus Haploid Christ!

How do they expect us to avoid getting real jobs when @#$% like this happens?

For those interested: at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the doctoral program in history received 202 applicants. It accepted 40 with a 20% acceptance rate.

I have to agree with Minnesotan. I would not be surprised at all if the number of applicants this year was the double for many institutions.

It looks like both history and english were kill zones this year.

It honestly wasn't this bad when I applied two years ago. One of my programs this year had double (yes, double!) the amount of applicants from the year before. Jesus Haploid Christ!

How do they expect us to avoid getting real jobs when @#$% like this happens?

My advisor at Cornell warned me this might happen. He said that while I'd stand a good chance in "normal years", I would face excruciatingly high competition this year. Damn you job market!

That is my belief. I think that the economy has caused a lot of individuals--who otherwise would be more engaged to entering the work force--to apply to Ph.D programs. On the one hand, it's admirable considering that more people should be engaged to scholarly inquiry and the life of the mind. On the other hand, it's disconcerting when you realize that half the persons entering these programs might not actually want to be there and are only doing so to avoid wrestling with the idea that their college degrees have not given them a foot inside the economic ring. And, in some ways, it's even egregious if you are a person who has always wanted to pursue a career in the life of the mind only to find that you are being thrust to the periphery by individuals who used to think that such a mindful preoccupation was, in fact, mindless.

For those interested: at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the doctoral program in history received 202 applicants. It accepted 40 with a 20% acceptance rate.

Just to add to this, especially those who applied for Russian history, the professors in the field are shifting their research interests and apparently accepted only those studying material culture in everyday life.

OK. I think I got accepted to Maryland last night, after a very coy email asking me if they could "call to discuss some good news about my application." Either they want to accept me, or they want to reject me, but assure me that they really like the new office chairs that they bought with my app fee. :lol:

Also, I got my official rejection letter from Duke today. Thought I would share it with you guys 'cause it's so short:

"Your application and supporting documents have been carefully reviewed by the History department and by this office. The number of excellent applicants to the Graduate School and our policy of limited enrollment make it impossible for us to offer admission to more than a small number of the students who apply. I am sorry to report that you are among those whom we are unable to admit. We do hope that you will be able to pursue graduate study at another institution.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your application."

With the caveat that Duke is a wonderful school with great faculty, who were very polite when I called and talked to them, and that I sincerely and heartily congratulate those who were accepted...

...I can't resist poking a little bit of fun at this, the shortest rejection letter yet. Don't worry, Duke! I will indeed will be able to pursue graduate study at another institution. A few, actually. Some of which are more highly rated than you are. OK? Thanks. Bye!

PS...I am NOT Charlotte Simmons: (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10464110/sex__scandal_at_duke)

And as far as the discussion of the economy, etc impacting grad school application rates: I think this is probably absolutely accurate. I would hope that, for people who got dinged all 'round, that this means that next year, they will be accepted with open arms, full funding, and abject apologies from their school for having passed them over last year.

Luck and love to everyone who's still waiting to hear, or who is making other plans. UNC and I are still in a staring contest, which at this point makes me think rejection anyway.

Cornell07, very sorry to hear about your results. My girlfriend, an MS Business student at BC, read your posts and said, "Well, if an Ivy Leaguer is having that kind of trouble, you better get a job." I guess that was supposed to be backhandedly reassuring, but it does speak to this year's insanely competitive class of applicants. I guess misery loves company! I guarantee you get into a great program next year with your pedigree and a break or two.

What are your plans in the meantime? I posted my options yesterday, but I'd like to see what others in 0-for club are seeking to fill the time next year.

I have a question for you all.

I have been accepted to the University of Utah's History Department and am very happy about this [had been rejected from all of my other choices]. Although I realize that this school is not well known, my potential adviser is a very well known-scholar in my field. I want to work with this scholar, but I wish I knew a little bit more about the University of Utah's History Department. Does anyone have any information as far as how it ranks?

Thanks!

Congrats on getting in! I think the opposite side of the coin from fit is that when you go out on the job market, your advisor's letter (and connections) are critical. My MA advisor told me not to discount program rank but to focus on who my advisor and supporting cast would be. In other words, when you send out job applications, it's not that name of the program doesn't matter at all, but name of the advisor matters a lot more. I don't know what field you're in, but if the person at Utah is a top notch person in your area (which this person seems to be) and supports you, then I think you can go far with that. Besides as long as they are offering you funding, you can start there and see how it goes. You could always leave with a masters if you find that it's not as good as you thought it would be.

What makes me really sad is that their acceptance rate is relatively high for a top 25 program. Michigan took around 8% or 9%. Princeton usually takes 8%; this year it took substantially less. Even Boston College only accepts 4 or 5 from hundreds of applicants.

I finally got an official acceptance to Yale's MA in European Studies. No funding info. I was pretty sure I would be accepted, sine it would be VERY cruel to deny my PhD app, request permission to move it to the MA program, and then reject me anyway.

I feel weird about it. I feel sort-of attached to the program since at least one professor went through a lot to get me accepted to Yale, even if it wasn't for the program I originally applied to. But, my undergraduate professors keep reminding me I would be nuts to turn down a fully-funded PhD at Michigan for a MA at Yale.

I think you would be nuts too, Amanda, to turn down the Michigan offer. You should just feel extra-amazing that you have the luxury of another excellent option. If you write to said Yale professor and explain that you got fully funded for the PhD at Michigan, I am sure s/he will more than understand (and probably in all honesty realize its the best decision).

Congratulations on the offer!

Just to add to this, especially those who applied for Russian history, the professors in the field are shifting their research interests and apparently accepted only those studying material culture in everyday life.

Oh, I'm not so sure about this. I have a friend who was admitted to UIUC for Soviet/Russian history (her interests defy periodization). She's particularly into womens history.

That is my belief. I think that the economy has caused a lot of individuals--who otherwise would be more engaged to entering the work force--to apply to Ph.Ds program. On the one hand, it's admirable considering that more people should be engaged to scholarly inquiry and the life of the mind. On the other hand, it's disconcerting when you realize that half the persons entering these programs might not actually want to be there and are only doing so to avoid wrestling with the idea that their college degrees have not given them a foot inside the economic ring. And, in some ways, it's even egregious if you are a person who has always wanted to pursue a career in the life of the mind only to find that you are being thrust to the periphery by individuals who use to think that such a mindful preoccupation was, in fact, mindless.

I couldn't agree more. It seems especially unfair when you're willing to trade in your salaried position for a dirt-poor graduate student stipend, yet still be rejected. Anyone accepted at a Ph.D. program interested in a stable long-term career want to trade? Your spot for my job :D

Either they want to accept me, or they want to reject me, but assure me that they really like the new office chairs that they bought with my app fee.

Mwahahaha!! :lol: "We can't accept you! We are filled with regret! However if you are ever in the area we encourage you to stop in and have a cappuccino from the machine we bought with your application fee. Really, they're fantastic, thank you so much for applying."

Mwahahaha!! :lol: "We can't accept you! We are filled with regret! However if you are ever in the area we encourage you to stop in and have a cappuccino from the machine we bought with your application fee. Really, they're fantastic, thank you so much for applying."

Hahahahaha. :lol::lol::lol:

Okay, for everyone who has applied to the University of Chicago, I have some very disappointing news. I sent an email to

the Kelly Pollock today. I did not give my name as I think that it usually leads to a rejection. Either that was the reason,

or I did not want to read that I had been rejected; I think living with the assumption is better than than the reality until the official letter arrives. So, I created a dummy email account and sent her an email. Here is my email to Kelly:

Hello Kelly:

I am writing to see if the admission decisions have been made. A few applicants have suggested that they received an

email on last Friday from the Division of Social Sciences detailing their admission into the program and the funding they are

receiving. Is it safe to say that those students who have not received such an email have been rejected from the program?

Or is it that the program has admitted some of the cohort for 2008, but are still deciding the last spots? Finally, when can

applicants expect to receive notification of their acceptance or rejection into the Ph. D. program in history?

Kindly,

Anxious Andy

(A Concerned Applicant)

Here is Kelly's response to my email. Pay close attention to the second paragraph where she basically says that if you have not heard back from anyone in the program, you likely have not been admitted. Because I already have a MA, I highly doubt that I am one of those individuals who possibly could have been shifted into the MA program.

Dear Andy,

We have no one named Andy Klebold in our admissions database(?)

All official admissions decisions are mailed by the Dean of Students office. My understanding is that letters will be put in the mail today or tomorrow.

If an applicant has not yet heard from faculty or the department by email, it is unlikely, though not impossible, that he/she has been admitted to the PhD program. Applications are sometimes also considered by MA programs in the division, and the department does not have the results of that process, so it is also possible that an applicant who has not heard from the department may have been accepted into an MA program.

All the best,

Kelly

Sorry about Chicago... but creating a fake name. That's HILARIOUS! In fact, I would like to suggest that we all create fake g-mail accounts and start e-mailing the schools who have yet to notify.

I've heard from everyone but I think it might relieve some of the tension to play with the admission reps a bit. :wink: