History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well of course, but also its true that the decisions were made already so the conjecture on this thread and others about that forthcoming acceptances are coming is wrong. im sorry for that and sit in dread about my other decisions

Yar. Called Berkeley. They said "most decisions" have been made, not all, so don't give up hope... unless you are me and they said that I was rejected.

i thought so, thank you for clarifying this issue. though if most decisions are made, it probably means that those that will get in after this point will probably miss out on fellowships.

Oh, c'mon guys, cut cso162 some slack. I know that we're all stressed out about schools (especially those of us neurotic enough to be worrying about two people's sets of applications!), and so now of all times is probably not when we're spending the time and energy to word things carefully. S/he was clearly trying to share as much information as possible (which is one of the main functions of this board), not to deliberately and maliciously stomp on everyone's hopes and dreams. Yes, it would be great to try and capture as much nuance as possible to avoid misinterpretations, but frankly I'd rather have some news than no news.

And I don't know about you, but I for one am not at my most articulate when I'm viscerally disappointed myself. So let's be offering our condolences about his/her rejection, not jumping down his/her throat for saying "all" instead of "most." And for those who would rather wait it out and see what comes in the mail than find these things out on the boards...well, why are you here? (Not a challenge, I'm genuinely curious.)

No, not in the same field - I'm just a history groupie because my husband is too damn sane to read these boards of his own accord. I'm actually an international health policy/economics person, but since I'm apparently the only one on any of the admissions boards there is really no way to satisfy my own curiousity...and so I've pathetically resorted to tracking the history boards as a consolation prize. At least that way I can feel like I have some power (or at least knowledge!) over where we'll be living next year. I've got an interview at UPenn this week, and am desperately praying to the admissions gods that either Penn or Princeton will accept my husband too - another several years of long-distance really does not sound appealing at this stage in life, and I've never even dared to hope that we'd get matching tickets to Harvard.

Does this make me sound as pathetic as I feel?

i wish they had some kind of "couple" admissions policy. like, if they really like her, they'll let me in just for kicks.

They actually have an algorithm for that used for medical residency placements (e.g. the "couples match"). Apparently its derived from mechanism design theory in economics, which won the 2007 Nobel Prize. Rumor has it that it does usually pull up the weaker partner rather than the other way around. However, the key difference there is that the funding comes from the same source. Somehow I don't see the incentives for UPenn history to accept husbers just to make Wharton happy...

I, too, am in a long term relationship and it is some consolation for my girlfriend to know that I did not get into Berkeley because she dreaded moving to the West Coast for law school. Silver lining!

I was puzzled by the reject on the board and called the Dept---the secretary seemed puzzled that any rejections had been notified and totally unsure about decisions.....maybe the reject isnt real...if so....i apologize but the front office secretary seemed genuinely confused that anyone had been told they WERE NOT admitted

AHH I just woke up to an e-mail from a prof at Stanford--I'm in! As I posted in the results, there are some major communication issues going on in the department, since this prof is on sabbatical and assumed I already knew about my admission. I had already completely despaired of them, based on what people had posted here, so let this be a lesson to all: don't believe everything you read!

I'm going to go jump up and down now... :mrgreen:

Good god your professor at Stanford is up early! An email at 8:30 EST is... 5:30 am in California (right?).

Heh. It makes me think of my first history professor who said to our class, "I, of course, have regularly scheduled office hours, but I am free to talk any day at [the school's pool] at 6 am."

Good god your professor at Stanford is up early! An email at 8:30 EST is... 5:30 am in California (right?).

Heh. It makes me think of my first history professor who said to our class, "I, of course, have regularly scheduled office hours, but I am free to talk any day at [the school's pool] at 6 am."

Actually, she sent it at 4:26am EST, so 1:30am in CA (still a strange hour for this kind of e-mail). But then again, she's on sabbatical, so she could very well be in Italy and sending it at a very normal 10:30am. Who knows :P That's so funny about your prof! I have to say, seeing my profs in a bathing suit would probably scar me for life.

Thanks, dmh26 and totallyfreakingout :mrgreen:

AHH I just woke up to an e-mail from a prof at Stanford--I'm in! As I posted in the results, there are some major communication issues going on in the department, since this prof is on sabbatical and assumed I already knew about my admission. I had already completely despaired of them, based on what people had posted here, so let this be a lesson to all: don't believe everything you read!

I'm going to go jump up and down now... :mrgreen:

Eeeee! I am so happy for you! Congratulations, EL. I'm glad that your patience was awesomely rewarded.

According to the results board, someone got an email rejection from Colubmia. Does that mean that it is ok yet to call them for results?

Hmm..it seems that person had a personal contact from a potential advisor, though, last year, they accepted students on 2/16 and 2/17 (from what was reported on LJ and Yuster). So, maybe it's starting?