FREAKING OUT!!

obscurefemale

Ah! So the other week (actually the morning I was leaving for my 6 month trip to Germany...) I received a rejection letter from UMD College Park for their MA program. I'm majorly stressing out because I definitely thought College Park was going to be the easiest school to get into for their MA program. I have a 3.99999 whatever GPA (only one B+ my entire time at college and that was in French class), a 5.5 on my writing GRE and 720 for my vocab. I had great LORs (including one from the curator of painting and sculpture at the MOMA in SF) and have had three great internships. I'm a very strong writer and I had a million people go over my writing sample and LOP. I just don't understand what could have gone wrong? Any ideas?

I'm just extremely anxious because if I didn't get into UMD I don't see how I'll get into any of the other programs I applied to. (Williams, Tufts, BU, and American...all MA programs)

Also I should mention that it is doubly weird for this rejection since I'm an MD resident and pretty much my entire family went to UMD. I was also accepted into their BA program but I didn't feel like going to college with my entire high school since UMD loves to keep most of its population mostly instate.

Edited by obscurefemale

Ah! So the other week (actually the morning I was leaving for my 6 month trip to Germany...) I received a rejection letter from UMD College Park for their MA program. I'm majorly stressing out because I definitely thought College Park was going to be the easiest school to get into for their MA program. I have a 3.99999 whatever GPA (only one B+ my entire time at college and that was in French class), a 5.5 on my writing GRE and 720 for my vocab. I had great LORs (including one from the curator of painting and sculpture at the MOMA in SF) and have had three great internships. I'm a very strong writer and I had a million people go over my writing sample and LOP. I just don't understand what could have gone wrong? Any ideas?

I'm just extremely anxious because if I didn't get into UMD I don't see how I'll get into any of the other programs I applied to. (Williams, Tufts, BU, and American...all MA programs)

Also I should mention that it is doubly weird for this rejection since I'm an MD resident and pretty much my entire family went to UMD. I was also accepted into their BA program but I didn't feel like going to college with my entire high school since UMD loves to keep most of its population mostly instate.

we need to talk.

It's quite possible that this has nothing to do with you. Perhaps your potential advisor is going on sabbatical and there would be noone to advise you, or they didn't take anyone in your subfield this cycle. Your stats sound awesome (way better than mine when I was applying to MAs). So, there is a way you will get into your other programs- don't give up yet. Even if (and I mean IF) you don't get in anywhere, this six month trip to Germany sounds AMAZING, and will certainly be an asset next round.

Where abouts in MD are you from? I too hail from the Old Line State...and didn't go to College Park for the exact same reason! PM me if you don't want to post it :-D

Yeah maybe the fit wasn't there?

A friend of mine was on an adcom and she told me they've turned away applicants who were perfect on paper simply because their interests weren't a good fit with any of the existing faculty.

Did you contact any of the faculty prior to applying? If so, maybe you can ask him/her as to why you didn't get in.

In any case, keep your head up. You haven't heard back from all of them. Good luck!

I am freaking out too. I got my first rejection the other day, and since then all I can see is the worst-case scenario. I am down to a self-pity puddle. I found this forum a few days ago, and I can't say it's making me feel any better. It only serves to show me all the things I did wrong and all the people out there who are way better than me (you even might be one of them). But hopefully you, and even I will get in somewhere, maybe not just anywhere, but a place where we can really thrive. And then, we will look back at this and laugh at our self-doubt and wish we didn't second guess ourselves.

Edited by Tapioca