Programs strong in Marxist study?

Mason.Jennings

Hey just wondering if anyone  knew of any departments that have a strong or any Marxist presence, especially in the Northeast US. Primarily interested in Marxist political theory, but if anyone knows departments in history/sociology/cultural studies etc that are applicable let me know, thanks!

• 2 months later...

York University, which is in the Southern/East corner of Canada in Toronto (close enough to Northeast US) has a very strong Marxist presence at all levels of Sociology. It is basically a pre-req to be a Marxist scholar in order to be a professor here. Think about it! Tuition for international students is expensive, but funding opportunities are great and still probably cheaper than any American institution.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For Marxist political theory, I think CUNY would be a strong choice. York political science and social and political thought programs both have strong emphasis on Marxist theory. I graduated with BAs in history and poli. sci. from there. William Clare Roberts at McGill recently published Marx's Inferno, but he is the lone Marxist in a department full of little battles. I wouldn't opt to go to McGill political science department again (did my MA in comparative politics there), but Roberts does fit your political theory/cultural studies focus. Burawoy at Berkeley of course does very interesting extensions of Gramsci. He is very active in the department still and advises a few graduate students, but will have to retire at some point. On the other hand, he might be literally immortal and not just immortalized because of his contributions to sociology.

• 10 months later...

@Mason.Jennings Hi Mason, I would recommend the New School in New York City. Their Sociology program has a strong focus on European theorists and know several of their graduate students are International and study politcal and social theory as their areas of focus. Granted, the New School has some other characteristics you should consider whether or not they suit you, but I do know they may fit you as far as your interest in Marxist political theory.

• 1 month later...