Adequate GRE scores?

inprogress

Hello, all, 

I took the GRE for the first time last month, and I'm wondering whether it would be worth taking the test again. I'm planning to apply to masters-level programs at TT schools this fall (e.g., HDS, Vandy U and Div., YDS) and my scores were 161 V, 147 Q, and 4.0 W. I totally winged the test, so I'm sure I could get my numbers up a bit with some more preparation, but I just want to know if those scores sound adequate before investing more time on the GRE. I'm coming out of an M.Div. program at a conservative evangelical seminary and my GPA currently is 3.98. 

9 hours ago, inprogress said:

Hello, all, 

I took the GRE for the first time last month, and I'm wondering whether it would be worth taking the test again. I'm planning to apply to masters-level programs at TT schools this fall (e.g., HDS, Vandy U and Div., YDS) and my scores were 161 V, 147 Q, and 4.0 W. I totally winged the test, so I'm sure I could get my numbers up a bit with some more preparation, but I just want to know if those scores sound adequate before investing more time on the GRE. I'm coming out of an M.Div. program at a conservative evangelical seminary and my GPA currently is 3.98. 

Are you sure those schools even require the GRE for master's programs? I know for a fact that YDS doesn't require them. Now, if you were applying for PhD programs, I would tell you that those scores are not adequate (you would need at least a 5 for writing and probably a higher verbal). For master's programs, the GRE does not matter and is usually not even considered.

• 3 weeks later...

The big secret is Master's programs aren't necessarily that hard to get into. Duke, I know, accepts near 50% of those applicants (compared with less than 10% PhD.) Those scores are very sufficient provided your recs, personal statement (and fit with resources), and writing sample are good. Now, getting in somewhere fully funded may require higher scores.