Should I take Math GRE Subject Test?

Hi!

I'm applying this season to CS/Stats PhD programs. Mostly CS programs (8 CS ones versus 2 stats ones), but in applied stats/machine learning/network science-esque areas that lie in the intersection of CS and Stats. None of the CS programs require a subject test. One stats program "strongly recommends" the subject test, and the other one somewhat recommends it. I know I can do well on the test if I put in the time, but I don't want to take it if I don't have to. Here are some stats:

Undergrad Institution: Top 10
Major(s): Math, Applied Math, CS
GPA: 4.0
Type of Student: Male, Domestic
Programs Applying: PhD in stats/CS

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top 200 on Putnam, and some school-wide awards

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Grader/TA for upper-level math/CS courses, counselor for well-known math summer camp for high-schoolers

Math and Stat Courses: Lots of graduate-level math classes: algebra, commutative algebra, measure theory, complex analysis, manifolds, number theory, probability theory, stochastic processes. Other stats-y classes include machine learning and network science.

I'm hoping my long list of math classes and other math-y activities means I don't have to take the subject test... what do you think?

From past posts on this forum lots of people get into programs that "strongly recommend" the test without taking it so I think you should be fine since you have a stellar record in math classes. I'm in the same boat as you, applying to stats PhD with a lot of upper year math, and I'm not gonna bother writing it.