Hi guys, 

I am in the middle of a crisis. I just finished my degree in journalism in London, but actually I want to study literature: I got a place for a master's degree in comparative literature at UCL, so a very good uni, but I am now thinking of refusing that and go to Lausanne and start another bachelor, in Italian, French and Spanish literature. Ultimately, I want to become a lecturer at university level. So my question is: can I still get into teaching (after a PhD), even if my bachelor is not in literature, or do I really need that qualification? Is it really worth changing? 

Thanks people, help in this situation is much appreciated.

Peace!

43 minutes ago, Laura M said:

Hi guys, 

I am in the middle of a crisis. I just finished my degree in journalism in London, but actually I want to study literature: I got a place for a master's degree in comparative literature at UCL, so a very good uni, but I am now thinking of refusing that and go to Lausanne and start another bachelor, in Italian, French and Spanish literature. Ultimately, I want to become a lecturer at university level. So my question is: can I still get into teaching (after a PhD), even if my bachelor is not in literature, or do I really need that qualification? Is it really worth changing? 

Peace!

If you earn a master's degree in the same field you want to earn a doctorate, your bachelors in journalism should not be a hindrance. (If you're very concerned, you could look at departments where you imagine teaching down the line. What percentage of newer professors have three degrees in literature?)

Insofar as developing your language skills, I think I understand how the structure of an undergraduate major could be appealing. However,is taking a step backwards (turning down an offer of admission to earn another b.a.) the best path forward for you personally?

Does the program at UCL have requirements or offer opportunities to develop language skills while earning your master's degree? If you were to apply yourself as a graduate student, could you get to where you want to be with your language skills in a timely manner? (Keep in mind that your degree in journalism may give you a leg up in your writing skills--can you spend less time writing in English in favor of working in French or Spanish?)

Whatever you decide, please do come back and let everyone know what path you picked and why. That information may be helpful to others down the line.

18 hours ago, Laura M said:

Hi guys, 

Peace!

You do not need another BA. If you want to pursue an academic career in literature, UCL program would allow you to do that. Also, journalism is not a completely unrelated to your field of interest (it's not like you graduated with a degree in chemistry right lol?). 

Just increase your activities related to lit while you are doing your masters and you should be set for the next step (PHD!!!).