Starting the PhD Application Process in Comp Lit

superfluouswoman

Question

Ok so, I'm starting to very seriously consider applying to PhD programs in comparative literature. However, I'm terrified of the whole application process. I just finished an MFA in Creative Writing at Columbia and remember how intense and nerve-wracking that whole application process was. One of my most irrational fears is of the GRE. I took the GRE a few years ago and my scores were not all that. So, what score should I be aiming to get? Also, what--in your opinion--are the most important things that I should focus on in the app. Should I email professors at the schools I'll be applying to? If so, what's the etiquette of those emails? Basically, I just need to know what I'm doing because I'm very confused and irrationally nervous to even start the process.

3 answers to this question

Hi - you might get more responses if you post in the Literature forum. I also recommend that you read through some past threads, as there's a wealth of information about the application process. 

The GRE is not the most important part of your application package, but for most humanities PhD programs you want to aim for 160+ on the verbal section. The quantitative section is less important, but because some schools use overall GRE for fellowships and other campus-wide funding, I'd aim for 310+ if at all possible. 

Writing sample, SOP, and letters of recommendation are far more important. What are your research interests, and which languages will you be working in? Do you have a literary writing sample that shows your ability to read and analyze literature in your areas of interest? In your SOP, you should be able to write about why you are transitioning from creative writing to comparative literature and how you currently envision your research moving forward.

Also, I'd try to identify the professors who will write your letters of recommendation ASAP and arrange to meet with them. They will be able to give you better advice about which programs to apply to and perhaps connect you with POIs at other institutions. 

Good luck!

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, jshaarawi said:

Ok so, I'm starting to very seriously consider applying to PhD programs in comparative literature. However, I'm terrified of the whole application process. I just finished an MFA in Creative Writing at Columbia and remember how intense and nerve-wracking that whole application process was. One of my most irrational fears is of the GRE. I took the GRE a few years ago and my scores were not all that. So, what score should I be aiming to get? Also, what--in your opinion--are the most important things that I should focus on in the app. Should I email professors at the schools I'll be applying to? If so, what's the etiquette of those emails? Basically, I just need to know what I'm doing because I'm very confused and irrationally nervous to even start the process.

You're going to need in the 90+ percentile range. I agree with HJ that while GRE scores are not the most important, but you want to be competitive and most literature people are scoring in the 90s because there are so few openings. (Just my opinion.) You don't say what your BA was in, but if you want comp lit departments to take you seriously, you are going to need a serious WS that shows your ability to analyze and write about a text in a clear and unique way (your MFA will help here). I believe that because comp lit looks at literature in a global way, you will need a strong foreign language component. While you can gain that knowledge during your PhD, if you have the ability to do research in foreign languages right away that might be a swaying point. I did not contact any POIs as I like to meet people in person and because people leave universities for various reasons. I chose universities that had strong general American components within their English departments, with a Southern lit influence. The SOP is also very important, as this is where you get to discuss what you hope to do at their university (sell yourself). Although you are not starting the process late, you are going to have to work really hard to find programs that fit what you are looking for. You should aim for applying to 9-10 programs.

Thanks for your responses! I was a double major in undergrad and one of my degrees was in English and Comparative Literature from The American University in Cairo. My native language is Arabic and I'm also fluent in Italian so I think I have that on my side for sure. I'm thinking of focusing my research on contemporary North African literature since I'll be able to delve into that immediately. I guess I just need to get over my fear of standardized tests.