Application. IChO winner

OrgChemFan

Hey everyone!

I'd already posted this question in Q&A section of the forum, but didn't get a single response. So, I decided to ask it in a subject specific thread. 

Here it is:

I won an International Chemistry Olympiad medal and was wondering, does this achievement make my application more "shiny" and change my chances of getting somewhere I want?

4 hours ago, Disselkyle said:

Given that it is a high school competition and not a college-level one I would say the achievement would only have a small effect on your chances. It can't hurt, though.

Thanks for the answer. I kind of thought the same myself.

I actually was thinking that maybe it can be a sign for adcoms of qualities that are essential for grad student, like ability to gain knowledge by yourself, without classes or help,  and persistence in achieving goals that have been set.

Edited by OrgChemFan

20 hours ago, OrgChemFan said:

Thanks for the answer. I kind of thought the same myself.

I actually was thinking that maybe it can be a sign for adcoms of qualities that are essential for grad student, like ability to gain knowledge by yourself, without classes or help,  and persistence in achieving goals that have been set.

If you can work that into your essay, go for it. But I would caution against focusing on it too much because then it may seem like you didn't do anything impressive or interesting in college.