Job has become unbearable

herself the elf

Since about mid-January, I can barely concentrate at work because I am so excited to go back to school and ditch my current profession. Thank goodness I work at a big company where no one checks what websites I go to, they would be like, "Gradcafe-- are you planning on leaving us?" It's bad that I can't concentrate, I actually have a lot of responsibility. . . I'm hoping that post-April 15, my focus will improve.

Anyone else in the same boat? or anyone else have coping tactics/suggestions?

Edited by herself the elf

I have no suggestions but I'm definitely in the same boat. I still haven't heard from ANY of my schools, and last year at this time all the schools had begun notifying. I applied last year, and all that got me through my horrible job was thinking "this time next year I will be studying what I love and not at this stupid job." Well, here I am a year later and still doing the same stupid job. All I want to do is go back to researching and writing, and doing what I love instead of helping some big corporation steal more money from people.

eeps ok I don't want to give off any more negative energy so I should end this rant before it turns into an essay

I am right there with you two.

My job SUCKS--not because it's hard or in the elements or cleaning horse stalls, but it feels so belittling. Yesterday the most important task I was given was to remove all of the colored push pins from the office bulletin board and put up only white ones.

I couldn't decide if it was completely hillarious I got paid to ensure we were racist in our push pins, or just completely horrible that I have a bachelors degree and this is practicaly the only job I could get in my area (Alabama isn't a hotbed for social science work).

At least I already have two acceptances......

I am right there with you two.

My job SUCKS--not because it's hard or in the elements or cleaning horse stalls, but it feels so belittling. Yesterday the most important task I was given was to remove all of the colored push pins from the office bulletin board and put up only white ones.

I couldn't decide if it was completely hillarious I got paid to ensure we were racist in our push pins, or just completely horrible that I have a bachelors degree and this is practicaly the only job I could get in my area (Alabama isn't a hotbed for social science work).

At least I already have two acceptances......

I just snorted and got coffee all over my keyboard. (sorry to laugh at your expense!)

My job SUCKS--not because it's hard or in the elements or cleaning horse stalls, but it feels so belittling.

I had a second job cleaning horse stalls last summer. It was awesome--I was totally buff from the physical labor, and there's nothing corporate about it. No pushpins, either. :)

On the thread topic, I'm lucky in that I work in academia, so I'm fine with what I'm doing until fall. I'm probably a bit more slackerish as of late, though.

I would rather be cleaning horse stalls than performing my current corporate job. Cleaning stalls is actually really great cardio!:-) Plus, I'd much rather spend my day around horse manure - it doesn't smell half as bad as greed. I've only kept my job because I have an exorbitant amount of undergraduate loan debt, and unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pay such loans with the salary from cleaning stalls.

But to be fair, in the two years I've had this job, I've really learned a lot about myself, my values, and how I want to live my life in the future. It reinforced my preference for academia and sociology, in particular. It made me realize that life is both too short and too long to drudge through solely for wealth. So in that way, it's ironically been an invaluable experience.

I would rather be cleaning horse stalls than performing my current corporate job. Cleaning stalls is actually really great cardio!:-) Plus, I'd much rather spend my day around horse manure - it doesn't smell half as bad as greed. I've only kept my job because I have an exorbitant amount of undergraduate loan debt, and unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pay such loans with the salary from cleaning stalls.

But to be fair, in the two years I've had this job, I've really learned a lot about myself, my values, and how I want to live my life in the future. It reinforced my preference for academia and sociology, in particular. It made me realize that life is both too short and too long to drudge through solely for wealth. So in that way, it's ironically been an invaluable experience.

well spoken, focused.

I only took my menial corporate job because it's super close to home.

I feel very similar. I used to love my job as a study coordinator/research assistant at the university.. but since a few months ago, it became a lot less challenging. Now everything is repetitive, involves a lot of waiting, and doesn't really require any brain power :/ I love my colleagues and the professor I work for.. but I feel like I'm wasting away in this miserably cold state!!

I'm actually about to start a temporary job teaching English to Chinese preschoolers. I have a feeling grad school is going to come as a shock after 6 months of nothing but ABC's.

At least this job should be slightly better than the internship I just got off of. I was only there 1 1/2 weeks, but it confirmed my hatred for corporate life. Every day it felt like I was seconds away from metamorphosing into some insane clerk from a Dostoevsky novel. My Russian Lit professor would have been proud . . .

It's weird, I actually really like my job but that doesn't mean I'm not ready to start hearing from schools and get accepted into a PhD program (in Public Health or Soc). And I'm still refreshing my email inbox about every 10 minutes. Makes me feel a little crazy but that's just how it goes I guess.

I feel like I have been getting paid for checking thegradcafe.com. For the past 2 months I have spent a significant amount of my work time here. At least I have an acceptance right now, still... all I do is think about grad school, read about grad shool, and check this forum. I feel like this is now an integral part of my job.

I feel like I have been getting paid for checking thegradcafe.com. For the past 2 months I have spent a significant amount of my work time here. At least I have an acceptance right now, still... all I do is think about grad school, read about grad shool, and check this forum. I feel like this is now an integral part of my job.

Same here. Same here.

It's weird, I actually really like my job but that doesn't mean I'm not ready to start hearing from schools and get accepted into a PhD program (in Public Health or Soc). And I'm still refreshing my email inbox about every 10 minutes. Makes me feel a little crazy but that's just how it goes I guess.

You should download mozilla thunderbird! Or use outlook express.. you can set them to check your email EVERY minute :D hahaha.

Me too! Luckily, my job allows plenty of time for GradCafe.

You should download mozilla thunderbird! Or use outlook express.. you can set them to check your email EVERY minute :D hahaha.

Already thought about that -- one step ahead of you. But I can't bring myself to do it. Every 10 minutes seems to keep me slightly saner.