Info on UNC, UVA

wbts historian

I've been trolling around this forum and the results page for months but finally decided to post, as I just received some news. At the advice of one of my undergrad professors, I gave in and called the graduate secretaries at UNC and UVA. Both very nice ladies, the UNC person told me that they're "in the process" of admitting students, so perhaps all hope is not lost for those who haven't been admitted yet.

The news comes from UVA, where I was informed that decisions have been made and notifications will be sent out very soon, "within a few days." Hopefully that means tomorrow because I really don't want to wait over the weekend to find out.

Where on the website?

Nevermind, I figured it out. "There are currently no messages in your Message Center." I guess that is as good as a rejection.

There should be a link on the bottom of the application page to see your decision. I also just got an email (sent at 3:55 Am, but I don't get up THAT early) to check my application page to see a decision.

FYI, I spoke to UVA's secretary on Friday afternoon, and she advised that the history department was attempting to notify students about acceptances between Friday and Monday, so it's possible that those who haven't heard may still get positive news early next week.

On a different note, I received an email very early Saturday morning directing me to check my AY page for a link to my decision, but the link wasn't there! Anyone else have this problem? This is making me crazy!

I can answer a little as far as UNC goes...

Earlier today I received an email from the grad. director that I am on their wait-list. After looking at the results page a few others also were notified today as well. Since they have notified the wait-listed applicants, I'm sure that they have already contacted the accepted applicants as well.

I would guess, and sorry if this is bad news, that if you have yet to hear any word, then most likely it doesn't look too good.

I spoke to the UVA grad secretary yesterday and it sounds like they're going to wait a while before sending out funding information. They said they're going to catch a breather because they rushed to get out all of the decisions. One thing she said was that they also wanted to wait to see how many acceptances they would have. This is kind of frustrating because finding out about funding is a key piece of info in my decision making process. Anyone else contact UVA about funding or have an insights to share?

I spoke to the UVA grad secretary yesterday and it sounds like they're going to wait a while before sending out funding information. They said they're going to catch a breather because they rushed to get out all of the decisions. One thing she said was that they also wanted to wait to see how many acceptances they would have. This is kind of frustrating because finding out about funding is a key piece of info in my decision making process. Anyone else contact UVA about funding or have an insights to share?

I wrote to the DGS and he said he hopes to be in a position to report on "potential financial aid" in "a day or two." Not really sure what to make of that. He also said that they would wait to send out a full intro to the program until the class is set. Given my correspondence with other programs, this is a bit frustrating.

Edited by AmHist2010

I wrote to the DGS and he said he hopes to be in a position to report on "potential financial aid" in "a day or two." Not really sure what to make of that. He also said that they would wait to send out a full intro to the program until the class is set. Given my correspondence with other programs, this is a bit frustrating.

Apparently they are just finishing up fellowship and financial aid decisions at UVA, so for those who haven't heard, you should hear something early-ish next week.

Do you know how they'll be letting us know - letter or email? Thanks!

Sorry, no idea! Though I got the impression it would be through email for those not yet notified. It seems they do it on a rolling basis of sorts. Not the most helpful system..

Odd, I didn't get anything, hope this isn't a bad sign. Are you guys Americanists?

I am an Americanist (posted earlier that I received my funding package yesterday/Friday). I study early 19th century cultural--capitalism and religion.

I'd actually be interested in chatting with other UVA admits, particularly Americanists. Can we convert this "Info on UNC, UVA" forum to a UVA forum? One of my reasons is that I'm actually deciding between the two schools, and would be interested in learning more about what attracts people to UVA and how people feel about the program and faculty in general.

Incidentally, I'm from Charlottesville, so if anyone wants info on the town, I'm happy to provide.

I am an Americanist (posted earlier that I received my funding package yesterday/Friday). I study early 19th century cultural--capitalism and religion.

I'd actually be interested in chatting with other UVA admits, particularly Americanists. Can we convert this "Info on UNC, UVA" forum to a UVA forum? One of my reasons is that I'm actually deciding between the two schools, and would be interested in learning more about what attracts people to UVA and how people feel about the program and faculty in general.

Incidentally, I'm from Charlottesville, so if anyone wants info on the town, I'm happy to provide.

I'm all for that. Interestingly, I'm doing capitalism and American culture (centered around the major depressions/ stock market crashes between say 1872 and the 1930s- feelings of anti-banking, things like that), so you're more or less my doppelganger to a certain extent.

I have to say that I'm from the Northeast and everyone around me would much prefer if I stayed in the east, as oppossed to the other school I'm vacillating on, Wisconsin. I really like my advisor at UVA too, especially after we have had some very constructive conversations. I've already found everyone at UVA very friendly and easy to communicate with, so they haven't had to do much to win me over.

That works for me. My interest is in very early colonial legal history with a transatlantic perspective (I have a J.D. and worked as a lawyer prior to entering the M.A. program in which I'm currently enrolled). For what I'm interested in studying, UVA has one of the best programs outside of the Ivies and William and Mary/Hopkins. All of the contact I've had with the faculty thus far has been overwhelmingly positive, and my understanding is that job placement for UVA PhDs, particularly in the south, is very good (considering how difficult it is to find a tenure track position, blah, blah blah). On top of all that, both my spouse and I are interested in moving back down south to be closer to family. That being said, I have a funded offer at my MA institution, so my decision will probably be determined by UVA's funding package. I'm also still waiting to hear from GTown.