Austin, TX

Guest AH_MA

I just got an acceptance to UT for next fall, and I'm interested in the co-op housing scene. I've seen the website online, but was wondering if anyone on here is a resident/has any experience with it.

Also, I love cool/cold weather--I know that Austin is far enough south that it's silly to expect snow more than once in a blue moon (although I guess it just got some snow recently)...but how cold does it get in the winter?

Thanks!

I just got an acceptance to UT for next fall, and I'm interested in the co-op housing scene. I've seen the website online, but was wondering if anyone on here is a resident/has any experience with it.

Also, I love cool/cold weather--I know that Austin is far enough south that it's silly to expect snow more than once in a blue moon (although I guess it just got some snow recently)...but how cold does it get in the winter?

Thanks!

I've been checking out the weather for each city I applied in and the lowest temps during the day have been around 2 C degrees (36F). I've seen it as minus 2ish C (28F) before. According to google, today they are at 18 degrees. So needless to say, they are not cold for an extended period of time. The summer can be brutal. I was there during a hot streak last year and it was 46 degrees (114 F) with humidity. I don't think I ever sweat so much in my life. I was outside checking out the sites so I couldn't hide in the airconditiong!! I loved it there though. Greener than I expected for the immense heat. By the end of my stay I had gotten used to it to the point where I hiked up to a look out point and wasn't even sweating!! hahaha I come from basically zero humidity, so that was also a big change. People are super nice there though!

Thanks!

I lived in Austin for about 6 years. The last two years have been a lot colder than usual. Typically it will get below freezing around 5 days a year, overnight. It's fairly common to have daytime highs in the mid 60's even midwinter. Occasionally it will even jump up into the 70s.

Winter is honestly the best time of year in Austin, because summers are pretty brutal. Expect 20 or so days above 100 degrees (sometimes well above 100 degrees) with high humidity. It's usually above 90 between early June and early September and it's rare that the high temperature is below that in that period.

• 2 weeks later...

How is there already not a thread for Austin?? Well, I'm looking for general info/do's & don'ts/suggestions/remarks on living in Austin. I have an average funding offer (TA), and I'll be bringing with me my dog and my wife :) She happens to be a nurse, and thus does pretty well financially- we'll probably net $50k/year, so keep that in mind if suggesting housing options. Any info is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm considering moving to Austin for grad studies on a $25500 fellowship(apart from the summer). I am an international student and I had no idea what to make of this number till I saw a couple of posts here on this forum. I guess Austin's cost of living should let me live comfortably on this amount? I'd also want to save up to go home to India once in a while, maybe twice in three years..and each trip will cost me about 4 grand, if information I just found on the internet is right.

And when, where and how should I start looking for housing? I wouldn't want to be in Austin any earlier than a fortnight before start of term, considering it'll be my last summer at home for a while! So I'll just have to scout on the internet, I suppose..

Thanks in advance!

Edited by J.D.

Hi,

I'm considering moving to Austin for grad studies on a $25500 fellowship(apart from the summer). I am an international student and I had no idea what to make of this number till I saw a couple of posts here on this forum. I guess Austin's cost of living should let me live comfortably on this amount? I'd also want to save up to go home to India once in a while, maybe twice in three years..and each trip will cost me about 4 grand, if information I just found on the internet is right.

And when, where and how should I start looking for housing? I wouldn't want to be in Austin any earlier than a fortnight before start of term, considering it'll be my last summer at home for a while! So I'll just have to scout on the internet, I suppose..

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the fellowship! Yes, cost of living is reasonable in Austin so you should be fine with that amount, but you will need to watch the finances if you're going to be dropping 4 grand on trips home each year. ;)

You're going to have a hell of a time if you're looking for housing at the same time as the other ~49,999 students @ UT. If you won't be coming until mid-late August, I'd start looking in the summer and figure out a way to lock something down, especially if you want to be close to campus. There are tons of free locator services in Austin (they get commission from the apartment they rent you) who can be super helpful, if you use the right service. They'll help make sure you don't end up somewhere you hate..."scouting the internet" in August is going to leave you frustrated.

I'd recommend talking to Green Light Locator Services...they're very helpful and have an awesome reputation on Yelp. Also a sidenote: I notice on your list of schools to which you applied to put "UTA"...in Texas vernacular UTA refers to UT-Arlington....the one in Austin is just UT :P

Best of luck!

Edited by Gunner24

Congrats on the fellowship! Yes, cost of living is reasonable in Austin so you should be fine with that amount, but you will need to watch the finances if you're going to be dropping 4 grand on trips home each year. ;)

You're going to have a hell of a time if you're looking for housing at the same time as the other ~49,999 students @ UT. If you won't be coming until mid-late August, I'd start looking in the summer and figure out a way to lock something down, especially if you want to be close to campus. There are tons of free locator services in Austin (they get commission from the apartment they rent you) who can be super helpful, if you use the right service. They'll help make sure you don't end up somewhere you hate..."scouting the internet" in August is going to leave you frustrated.

I'd recommend talking to Green Light Locator Services...they're very helpful and have an awesome reputation on Yelp. Also a sidenote: I notice on your list of schools to which you applied to put "UTA"...in Texas vernacular UTA refers to UT-Arlington....the one in Austin is just UT :P

Best of luck!

Gunner 24, thanks a ton. I just took at the look at the greenlight site, and I could definitely use something like that. I'll have to wait till I hear from other schools before I actually contact them, which could be as late as the middle of April. Which wouldn't be too late or anything for a service like this, would it?

Ah, I did have a hunch that something was wrong when I kept saying UTA and my professor kept saying UT during my phone interview. Anyway, I've changed that on my signature now, thanks!

You bet. No, April is definitely not too late to use a locator service like this- they operate year round...Late spring semester you're going to have an outflux of students, which naturally makes it an easier time to find favorable housing than August, so I'd suggest as soon as you have the green light (pun intended) get started on locking down a place to live. Best of luck to you!

I have housing available if anyone is interested, its 800 a month per room, 3 bedrooms available, I live downstairs, my current roommates are moving out, its hyde park area, the # 7 capital metro bus runs right next to it, 10 minute bus ride, free for UT students, im 21 and an undergrad at UT-Austin, utilities not included, its a 2-story house, fireplace downstairs, backyard, garage

Let me know if theres interest

email at thabit.jawdat@gmail.com

Hey everybody,

Headed to Austin soon to look for housing. I know I'll get a better sense of all of this once I'm in the area but just out sheer excitement I feel like I want to know as soon as possible! I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the UT Shuttles, specifically which areas they travel to or if I can find a map somewhere online. I'm trying to get a sense of the layout of the area and want an apartment that has shuttle service very close by. If you could provide some specific names of areas to look at, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey everybody,

Headed to Austin soon to look for housing. I know I'll get a better sense of all of this once I'm in the area but just out sheer excitement I feel like I want to know as soon as possible! I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the UT Shuttles, specifically which areas they travel to or if I can find a map somewhere online. I'm trying to get a sense of the layout of the area and want an apartment that has shuttle service very close by. If you could provide some specific names of areas to look at, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

It's been a few years, but I'm guessing it hasn't changed much. I'd suggest looking for housing around Far West Blvd (there is a UT shuttle there). Housing in that area is relatively inexpensive and it's not a bad bus ride. I would avoid -at all costs- any housing near Riverside Drive. That's where a lot of undergraduates live, and most of the complexes are terribly managed and very noisy. The area is also one of the most sketchy in Austin (although, tbh, Austin is pretty safe).

Also, keep in mind that as a student there is a city bus pass included in your tuition and fees, so you can use these bus routes as well.

Shuttle bus website: http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/

Edited by was1984

Does anyone think a 13k stipend for the fall and spring is enough to get by on? I'm visiting in a couple weeks, so I'll obviously ask some graduate students already in the program, but anyone living in Austin now - do you (or do you think) one can live off of 13k during the fall & spring semester (combined).

Does anyone think a 13k stipend for the fall and spring is enough to get by on? I'm visiting in a couple weeks, so I'll obviously ask some graduate students already in the program, but anyone living in Austin now - do you (or do you think) one can live off of 13k during the fall & spring semester (combined).

]

It's going to be pretty tight, but I think you can do it. You'll probably want a roommate. Expect to pay around $400 for a shared rent situation. I had a friend that was working with about that much last year, and things were definitely tight for him financially.

I was just admitted for the LBJ school for the fall with a really attractive financing package, so UT is currently very high on my list. However, I've never been to Texas in my life, so when I go visit in 2 weeks I'm going to have to really get a feel for the city and the school in a very short amount of time (2.5 days). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should make sure to see to get a good feel for Austin? I'm open to renting a car, since this is a very important decision, so anything close to UT or driving distance that you think is important to see to understand the city. (I'm not sure if it helps, but I'm originally from CA, and have lived in Philly, Charlotte and currently NYC. In my head, Austin in like Charlotte, which I liked a lot, but not sure if that's true.)

Thanks!

I know it helps to compare cities, but Austin is like Austin. There's just no other way to describe it. It has it's own unique vibe, for sure! As far as what to see, what kind of things do you like? Do you like dive bars? Clubs? Are you outdoorsy? Are you looking for more practical things to see? There's a lot to see, and no way can you do it in a couple days, so if you are a little more specific about what you want to make sure and see while in Austin. I'm sure folks can offer up suggestions.

Austin is pretty multifaceted, so whatever your looking for in you can likely find (with the exception of an ocean!) There's a lot of old hippy country austin still hanging around, and there's a lot of new-austin-for-california-transplants-fancyland. Also, good food. If I could send visitors to one place, it would be here on a sunday afternoon. If you like it, there's a good chance you'll like austin!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ginnys-little-longhorn-saloon-austin

I know it helps to compare cities, but Austin is like Austin. There's just no other way to describe it. It has it's own unique vibe, for sure! As far as what to see, what kind of things do you like? Do you like dive bars? Clubs? Are you outdoorsy? Are you looking for more practical things to see? There's a lot to see, and no way can you do it in a couple days, so if you are a little more specific about what you want to make sure and see while in Austin. I'm sure folks can offer up suggestions.

I love live music (especially country), outdoorsy stuff, being on the water, and sports (the no ocean thing is probably my biggest hang-up about Austin...). I'd love to see any spots or neighborhoods that are quintessentially Austin. Since there seem to be a lot of sides to Austin, it would be great to get exposure to as many as I can in the few days.

Nogone- thank you! I will indeed be there for a Sunday, and both those ideas sound great!

I love live music (especially country), outdoorsy stuff, being on the water, and sports (the no ocean thing is probably my biggest hang-up about Austin...). I'd love to see any spots or neighborhoods that are quintessentially Austin. Since there seem to be a lot of sides to Austin, it would be great to get exposure to as many as I can in the few days.

Nogone- thank you! I will indeed be there for a Sunday, and both those ideas sound great!

All the things you love, Austin is known for. Sounds like a perfect fit! There are too many live music venues to name in one post, but you'll find no shortage of country, alt-country, and folk music in Austin. One of my favorite low-key places for that kind of stuff when I lived there was The Saxon Pub. But like I said, Austin is well-known for good music and boasts a variety of clubs and musical styles. I would, however, advise you *not* to visit Sixth Street. Though it's historically famous, it's about the least interesting place to go in the whole city unless you like college bars with bad music and cheap, lousy well drinks. For an interesting bar scene, you might visit Rainey Street, south of downtown instead. Lots of little houses converted into theme bars. As for sports and outdoors stuff, again the city is known for both. My favorite outdoorsy area was the Barton Creek Greenbelt...great for biking, hiking, and rock climbing and pretty close to the heart of the city. The Hill Country features lots of outdoorsy places though...far too many for one visit.

My final two cents (and this goes for all the people with any concerns about going to UT) is that Austin is flatly one of the best cities in the United States. Everyone I know who used to live there wants to move back. Everyone I know who has visited, loved their time there and were amazed at such a hip city in the heart of Texas (though Texas as a whole is far more interesting than people give it credit for!). Whenever I tell people I did my undergrad at UT-Austin, 99% of the time the next words out of their mouths are "Austin is a great city!" And for those of you who are worried about living in a city in Texas, ease your minds. Austin is about the weirdest, easy-goingest, most heterogeneous, and most interesting city you'll find. Great food, great music, beautiful weather 75% of the year, and a really good university to boot! For those of you who choose UT, you'll have a fantastic experience in Austin, no doubt about it.

I haven't committed to UT yet, but I'll probably be going. I've been looking into co-op housing as a cheap alternative and a way to avoid eating fast food everyday - I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or had any experience with it. I'm mostly looking at upper-division/grad student co-ops. Thanks!

All the things you love, Austin is known for. Sounds like a perfect fit! There are too many live music venues to name in one post, but you'll find no shortage of country, alt-country, and folk music in Austin. One of my favorite low-key places for that kind of stuff when I lived there was The Saxon Pub. But like I said, Austin is well-known for good music and boasts a variety of clubs and musical styles. I would, however, advise you *not* to visit Sixth Street. Though it's historically famous, it's about the least interesting place to go in the whole city unless you like college bars with bad music and cheap, lousy well drinks. For an interesting bar scene, you might visit Rainey Street, south of downtown instead. Lots of little houses converted into theme bars. As for sports and outdoors stuff, again the city is known for both. My favorite outdoorsy area was the Barton Creek Greenbelt...great for biking, hiking, and rock climbing and pretty close to the heart of the city. The Hill Country features lots of outdoorsy places though...far too many for one visit.

My final two cents (and this goes for all the people with any concerns about going to UT) is that Austin is flatly one of the best cities in the United States. Everyone I know who used to live there wants to move back. Everyone I know who has visited, loved their time there and were amazed at such a hip city in the heart of Texas (though Texas as a whole is far more interesting than people give it credit for!). Whenever I tell people I did my undergrad at UT-Austin, 99% of the time the next words out of their mouths are "Austin is a great city!" And for those of you who are worried about living in a city in Texas, ease your minds. Austin is about the weirdest, easy-goingest, most heterogeneous, and most interesting city you'll find. Great food, great music, beautiful weather 75% of the year, and a really good university to boot! For those of you who choose UT, you'll have a fantastic experience in Austin, no doubt about it.

You're not the first person to tell me that Austin is the perfect spot for all the things I love, well before I was applying to schools. I'm less worried about the whole "Texas" thing, actually, then about Austin being too "hippie". I grew up in Northern California, so I know that side of things all too well, and it's not really my vibe. But it sounds like there are a lot of different sides of Austin, and like most things I'm just going to have to check it out for myself. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Echoing a lot of the posters above, I feel like just about every personality can find their place in Austin. I have a good friend who is the epitome of a hippie who loves it. My younger sister is doing her undergrad there, and she is a preppy/sorority type, and she LOVES it. All of my best friends from high school who are fun, smart, slightly nerdy types did their undergrad there, and they all loved it. It's just a really great, cool city to live in. My husband and I are both looking to get out of Texas and experience different areas of the US, but we if we ever move back, then we will definitely try to make Austin home.

Hey!

So I'm likely going to UT in the fall too. Does anyone have any insight into the living situation there? I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is better to spend $900/month (includes all utilities except for internet and tv) for an apartment right next to campus with parking and a w/d or live out further towards Far West and spend less for the same amenities? Is the UT shuttle reliable? I will have a motor scooter there too that I would register to park on campus -- if I live in Far West or not right next to campus.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Hey!

So I'm likely going to UT in the fall too. Does anyone have any insight into the living situation there? I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is better to spend $900/month (includes all utilities except for internet and tv) for an apartment right next to campus with parking and a w/d or live out further towards Far West and spend less for the same amenities? Is the UT shuttle reliable? I will have a motor scooter there too that I would register to park on campus -- if I live in Far West or not right next to campus.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Far West is the way to go. Alternatively, look further up Speedway around 38th 1/2 or 45th. There's a bus that goes up there too, and some less pricy apartments.