Guest AH_MA

Austin, TX

Austin is pretty multifaceted, so whatever your looking for in you can likely find (with the exception of an ocean!) There's a lot of old hippy country austin still hanging around, and there's a lot of new-austin-for-california-transplants-fancyland. Also, good food. If I could send visitors to one place, it would be here on a sunday afternoon. If you like it, there's a good chance you'll like austin!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ginnys-little-longhorn-saloon-austin

I know it helps to compare cities, but Austin is like Austin. There's just no other way to describe it. It has it's own unique vibe, for sure! As far as what to see, what kind of things do you like? Do you like dive bars? Clubs? Are you outdoorsy? Are you looking for more practical things to see? There's a lot to see, and no way can you do it in a couple days, so if you are a little more specific about what you want to make sure and see while in Austin. I'm sure folks can offer up suggestions.

I love live music (especially country), outdoorsy stuff, being on the water, and sports (the no ocean thing is probably my biggest hang-up about Austin...). I'd love to see any spots or neighborhoods that are quintessentially Austin. Since there seem to be a lot of sides to Austin, it would be great to get exposure to as many as I can in the few days.

Nogone- thank you! I will indeed be there for a Sunday, and both those ideas sound great!

I love live music (especially country), outdoorsy stuff, being on the water, and sports (the no ocean thing is probably my biggest hang-up about Austin...). I'd love to see any spots or neighborhoods that are quintessentially Austin. Since there seem to be a lot of sides to Austin, it would be great to get exposure to as many as I can in the few days.

Nogone- thank you! I will indeed be there for a Sunday, and both those ideas sound great!

All the things you love, Austin is known for. Sounds like a perfect fit! There are too many live music venues to name in one post, but you'll find no shortage of country, alt-country, and folk music in Austin. One of my favorite low-key places for that kind of stuff when I lived there was The Saxon Pub. But like I said, Austin is well-known for good music and boasts a variety of clubs and musical styles. I would, however, advise you *not* to visit Sixth Street. Though it's historically famous, it's about the least interesting place to go in the whole city unless you like college bars with bad music and cheap, lousy well drinks. For an interesting bar scene, you might visit Rainey Street, south of downtown instead. Lots of little houses converted into theme bars. As for sports and outdoors stuff, again the city is known for both. My favorite outdoorsy area was the Barton Creek Greenbelt...great for biking, hiking, and rock climbing and pretty close to the heart of the city. The Hill Country features lots of outdoorsy places though...far too many for one visit.

My final two cents (and this goes for all the people with any concerns about going to UT) is that Austin is flatly one of the best cities in the United States. Everyone I know who used to live there wants to move back. Everyone I know who has visited, loved their time there and were amazed at such a hip city in the heart of Texas (though Texas as a whole is far more interesting than people give it credit for!). Whenever I tell people I did my undergrad at UT-Austin, 99% of the time the next words out of their mouths are "Austin is a great city!" And for those of you who are worried about living in a city in Texas, ease your minds. Austin is about the weirdest, easy-goingest, most heterogeneous, and most interesting city you'll find. Great food, great music, beautiful weather 75% of the year, and a really good university to boot! For those of you who choose UT, you'll have a fantastic experience in Austin, no doubt about it.

I haven't committed to UT yet, but I'll probably be going. I've been looking into co-op housing as a cheap alternative and a way to avoid eating fast food everyday - I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or had any experience with it. I'm mostly looking at upper-division/grad student co-ops. Thanks!

All the things you love, Austin is known for. Sounds like a perfect fit! There are too many live music venues to name in one post, but you'll find no shortage of country, alt-country, and folk music in Austin. One of my favorite low-key places for that kind of stuff when I lived there was The Saxon Pub. But like I said, Austin is well-known for good music and boasts a variety of clubs and musical styles. I would, however, advise you *not* to visit Sixth Street. Though it's historically famous, it's about the least interesting place to go in the whole city unless you like college bars with bad music and cheap, lousy well drinks. For an interesting bar scene, you might visit Rainey Street, south of downtown instead. Lots of little houses converted into theme bars. As for sports and outdoors stuff, again the city is known for both. My favorite outdoorsy area was the Barton Creek Greenbelt...great for biking, hiking, and rock climbing and pretty close to the heart of the city. The Hill Country features lots of outdoorsy places though...far too many for one visit.

My final two cents (and this goes for all the people with any concerns about going to UT) is that Austin is flatly one of the best cities in the United States. Everyone I know who used to live there wants to move back. Everyone I know who has visited, loved their time there and were amazed at such a hip city in the heart of Texas (though Texas as a whole is far more interesting than people give it credit for!). Whenever I tell people I did my undergrad at UT-Austin, 99% of the time the next words out of their mouths are "Austin is a great city!" And for those of you who are worried about living in a city in Texas, ease your minds. Austin is about the weirdest, easy-goingest, most heterogeneous, and most interesting city you'll find. Great food, great music, beautiful weather 75% of the year, and a really good university to boot! For those of you who choose UT, you'll have a fantastic experience in Austin, no doubt about it.

You're not the first person to tell me that Austin is the perfect spot for all the things I love, well before I was applying to schools. I'm less worried about the whole "Texas" thing, actually, then about Austin being too "hippie". I grew up in Northern California, so I know that side of things all too well, and it's not really my vibe. But it sounds like there are a lot of different sides of Austin, and like most things I'm just going to have to check it out for myself. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Echoing a lot of the posters above, I feel like just about every personality can find their place in Austin. I have a good friend who is the epitome of a hippie who loves it. My younger sister is doing her undergrad there, and she is a preppy/sorority type, and she LOVES it. All of my best friends from high school who are fun, smart, slightly nerdy types did their undergrad there, and they all loved it. It's just a really great, cool city to live in. My husband and I are both looking to get out of Texas and experience different areas of the US, but we if we ever move back, then we will definitely try to make Austin home.

Hey!

So I'm likely going to UT in the fall too. Does anyone have any insight into the living situation there? I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is better to spend $900/month (includes all utilities except for internet and tv) for an apartment right next to campus with parking and a w/d or live out further towards Far West and spend less for the same amenities? Is the UT shuttle reliable? I will have a motor scooter there too that I would register to park on campus -- if I live in Far West or not right next to campus.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Hey!

So I'm likely going to UT in the fall too. Does anyone have any insight into the living situation there? I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is better to spend $900/month (includes all utilities except for internet and tv) for an apartment right next to campus with parking and a w/d or live out further towards Far West and spend less for the same amenities? Is the UT shuttle reliable? I will have a motor scooter there too that I would register to park on campus -- if I live in Far West or not right next to campus.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Far West is the way to go. Alternatively, look further up Speedway around 38th 1/2 or 45th. There's a bus that goes up there too, and some less pricy apartments.

Far West is the way to go. Alternatively, look further up Speedway around 38th 1/2 or 45th. There's a bus that goes up there too, and some less pricy apartments.

Any suggestions as to which apartment complexes? Craigslist is a mess with all the apartment hunters :D

Thanks!!

Any suggestions as to which apartment complexes? Craigslist is a mess with all the apartment hunters :D

Thanks!!

Hi Spade20k,

I know you were asking someone else, but I'm currently an undergrad at UT (and waiting for a decision here as well) living in Far West and I thought I'd chime in. I think just about any place in Far West is good (though I've heard both very good and very bad about Acacia Cliffs), but I do have two places I'd like to highlight. First: absolutely do not live in Oak Hollow. The space is tempting for the price, but my girlfriend lived there last year and we can let you know firsthand this is a terrible choice; as I write this she chimes in: "it's dirty, has bad management, is falling apart...[expletive deleted], [expletive deleted]". The second, Westdale Pointe, is where I live now, where I plan to continue living if I get into UT, and where I tell everyone to live when they are looking for apartments. The rent is cheap (though going up a bit next semester); the apartments are nice with good layouts, the management is friendly and responsive; girlfriend: "it's safe, quiet..."; the bus stop for the bus to campus is right across the street from the apartment entrance (and during the day the bus runs about every 15 minutes, and is a 10-20 minute ride to campus depending on traffic; i've never been late due to the bus system); there is a major grocery store down the street, possibly visible from your apartment depending on which you get; and, if it matters to you, it's very dog friendly. All in all, it's fantastic.

Good luck apartment hunting!

Thanks!!

I haven't lived in Austin for a couple of years, so I'm a little out of date. Someone else will have to address this. :)

I recently got back from apartment hunting in Austin. I met with a few different realtors to make sure that I could see a lot of options and compare prices, location, etc. I also did a lot of reading online to hear what other folks were saying about the places I had seen. (People post good reviews online about different apartment complexes. But you have to read all of these with a grain of salt because if you took 'em all seriously, you'd never find a place to live!) But I did see some nice places.

Someone above mentioned Acacia Cliffs. It's a nice place, it's definitely on the older side, though they are offering apartments with upgraded kitchens. But when I toured the apartments, it was clear that some things were falling into disrepair (the tub, the windows, the patios). That said, their amenities are nice (basketball court, pool, club house) so it depends on what your necessities are. But after seeing all the different areas of Austin, my opinion is that the Far West area is really the best for most graduate students.

I personally don't like to be around a ton of undergrads, mainly those that are into having big ragers, so I opted for a more family-oriented apartment complex about 5 minutes walking distance from a UT Shuttle stop. If you're interested, you can check it out: Terracina Apartments. It was built in 2008 and the management is really great, customer service is solid, and the amenities and location are really terrific. If you want to take a shuttle, it's really nearby. But if you want to drive, you can hop on Mo-Pac and get to campus in about 10 minutes (considering there's not heavy traffic). And it's also close to grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. Also the rent is relatively cheap for a really nice, newly built place.

But there were some other places in Far West that I'd recommend looking into. The Ridge & Northwest Hills (if you end up here, try to score a 1st floor apartment near the pool, you can use their wifi for free in your apartment so no internet bill to pay!). A buddy of mine was also telling me that some apartments in North Austin are really nice and affordable but only lease from August to August. And beware of some of the complexes on Red River near campus, from what folks were telling me, some of them have rodent problems and poor management. But that could be anywhere.

But one main thing I realized when I was there: rent is going up & apartments get snatched off the market really quickly. So once you find a place that fits all your needs, don't take too long to mull it over. Also, if you need help, e-mail a few different apartment locators. I HIGHLY recommend Grant Richardson and Urban Squared Realty. He does a great job and is not fixated on getting you to rent at places where he makes a high commission. Best of luck!

I am moving to Austin for June and July before classes start. I want to get to know Austin, maybe meet some people ahead of time. Is it pretty hard to get a job down there? I'm thinking of just doing the food and bev thing. I don't know a soul, so I will just be walking up to restaurants and applying.

I am a first year Masters in Architecture student here at UT. I'm looking for students to take over my 3 bedroom/1 bath apartment starting June 1 (or a few days earlier). I live in North Campus. It's only about a 10 minute walk to campus (to the Law School, Music School, etc). It's two blocks from the UT Red River Bus Line (and other city bus routes. Only about a 10 minute ride to downtown). It's really a great place but my roommates and I are all leaving for the summer which makes it hard to sublet all 3 rooms. We are willing to throw in some furniture to sweeten the deal so new admits can actually move into a place partially furnished (sofa, dining set, basic kitchen essentials).

Here's a craigslist posting we have... although the photos aren't too great. Feel free to send any questions to nsramirez07@gmail.com.

http://austin.craigs...2259037460.html

Hey all! I'm a recent UT MA grad, and my landlords are looking for someone or someones to rent our TOTALLY FURNISHED 2br/2ba condo. The landlords have a UT grad daughter and are excellent people, I will really miss them. The apartment is perfect for roommates, and has lots of really great features. Like a washer/dryer in the apartment. Seriously. It's exciting.

Here's our craigslist ad, check it out!

http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2347815835.html

Has anyone heard anything about co-op housing options (like ICC or College Houses)? yes? no? maybe?

I spent the last few days, getting more information about ICC and Collage Houses. It is a bigs issue not only because it has its advantages and disadvantages but also because being accepted into these houses is a bit hard due to availability, votes etc... I can share more of my perspective if you want so. but hey, check each house on facebook. nearly every house has a group and ı have already contacted some of the guys from both ICC and Collage Houses. It may help for decision and pre-application.

hi guys!

I have a question, not even mentioned in the forum before :(

What about the second hand furniture trade in Austin? In case ended up with an unfurnished house, what is the average cost of second hand goods for a bacis home layout, I mean a bed, couch, a desk, chairs etc.

hi guys!

I have a question, not even mentioned in the forum before :(

What about the second hand furniture trade in Austin? In case ended up with an unfurnished house, what is the average cost of second hand goods for a bacis home layout, I mean a bed, couch, a desk, chairs etc.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/1265406-recommendation-good-used-furnitrure-stores.html

Hi guys! I am coming to Austin from 10000 miles away for Phd. I am pretty excited about both the city and the school. However, I would be much pleased if the whole housing problem was solved.

Here's my situation: I will be a TA until June 2012 thus I dont wanna exceed 600-650$ per month for rent. I had the impression that Hyde Park is a lovely area but as far as craiglist posts show, it is not cheap(at least for now).

Since I dont know if my budget will be tight or not, I would like to live in a furnished place in which rent includes electric/gas etc.

Unfortunately, I can not arrive earlier than august 10. Would you suggest that I find a temporary place to stay and search for apartments Or find a place before arriving to Austin? Is it still soon to find a place for August?

Another issue, I may share an apartment with roommates. So if any of you guys search for a roommate, maybe we can team up and find better places?

Thank you very much for suggestions

Hi guys! I am coming to Austin from 10000 miles away for Phd. I am pretty excited about both the city and the school. However, I would be much pleased if the whole housing problem was solved.

Here's my situation: I will be a TA until June 2012 thus I dont wanna exceed 600-650$ per month for rent. I had the impression that Hyde Park is a lovely area but as far as craiglist posts show, it is not cheap(at least for now).

Since I dont know if my budget will be tight or not, I would like to live in a furnished place in which rent includes electric/gas etc.

Unfortunately, I can not arrive earlier than august 10. Would you suggest that I find a temporary place to stay and search for apartments Or find a place before arriving to Austin? Is it still soon to find a place for August?

Another issue, I may share an apartment with roommates. So if any of you guys search for a roommate, maybe we can team up and find better places?

Thank you very much for suggestions

You might try one of the apartment search services in Austin. I used one to help me find a place and they were helpful.

For anyone living in Austin or for those who are knowledgable -

What is the cost of living? I enjoyed my time there and was surprised by how many businesses seemed to be thriving (in the central downtown area, at least). Specifically, what is the cost of living in the central area (residential, but close to downtown). I understand that the condos in the downtown area are quite pricey.

Janusnor, I spent two years on Riverside (east Austin) and that was extremely dangerous. I would never ever recommend an out-of-town person to live there, especially if you are international. My french friend got assaulted in his own apartment on Riverside!!!He was so freaked out!As an international student, I would strongly recommend to stay away from Riverside and get an apartment somewhere around West Campus. Plus, you can always live in the Co-ops, there are plenty of them and they are a lot of fun!!And there is one for international students too!