Austin, TX

Guest AH_MA

Hello all,

It looks like most people are focusing in on the Hyde Park/North Loop/ Rosedale areas which makes sense given how close they are to campus.  But has anyone lived in or know anything about the Far North or North west areas?  I'm finding reasonably priced places with more room outside the little highway rectangle that encircles Austin, but I'm worried it'll be too far away not only from classes, but other aspects of social life.  Do grad students live out there?  Or is it a much better idea to settle for less space in a better location?

Also, when are you all moving down?  Are you going down to find a place first?  I was planning on moving in August, and wasn't sure how to go about the visit and setting up an apartment from afar.

Sorry, many questions.  The internet is just so vague!  Hope you have some insights for me.

Thanks!

Hello all,

It looks like most people are focusing in on the Hyde Park/North Loop/ Rosedale areas which makes sense given how close they are to campus.  But has anyone lived in or know anything about the Far North or North west areas?  I'm finding reasonably priced places with more room outside the little highway rectangle that encircles Austin, but I'm worried it'll be too far away not only from classes, but other aspects of social life.  Do grad students live out there?  Or is it a much better idea to settle for less space in a better location?

Also, when are you all moving down?  Are you going down to find a place first?  I was planning on moving in August, and wasn't sure how to go about the visit and setting up an apartment from afar.

Sorry, many questions.  The internet is just so vague!  Hope you have some insights for me.

Thanks!

When I visited, I met one person who lived in North Austin.  He was married with kids, so it was the only way he could find something affordable; he said he took the bus, and it was fine.  Everyone else I talked to lived close to campus, but, that said... my husband and I are planning to buy a place farther out after renting for the first year.  I think the social aspect won't be bad, especially since you'll be at school so much anyway and can always go out "in the city" instead of close to where you live.  If you are worried about affordability, I'd maybe look for a room in a house with other students or sharing an apartment - you can get a lot more bang for your buck that way!

We are looking closer to campus for the first year, and we are using an apartment locator whose name we got from a friend.  I am moving at the beginning of July because I'm starting my assistantship early, and we are planning to make a trip down to look at apartments with our agent in a few weeks.  

I'm moving mid-August, and I'm going down in July to look at places with a locator's help. I've already contacted the locator and they'll start sending me lists of available places when my trip gets closer.

The only people I met living in the far west area were married. That's where I'm looking too, but I'm also married with children and dogs. It seems that it is much cheaper there, but there is shopping, bars, and resteraunts in that area too. There are buses, but I think my plan is to mostly bike into campus, when weather permits. I too am lookin to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info!  Thanks everyone.  I've found an apartment finder and am trying to get some more info on the Tanglewood North complex on 45th street.  Is this too close to undergrads?  Or should I be looking a little further north.  I love being close to UT but I'm afraid of noise!

Thanks for all your help.

Tangle wood is far enough from the action that the area is not crawling with undergrads, but I cant say what the demographics of the complex are.There may be a lot of undergrads there.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live down the street from Tanglewood Apartments - for years, actually. I don't know how many undergrads are in the complex, but it's a nice area to live and not in the thick of undergrad parties and whatnot. You can take the RR bus to campus; it has a stop right there.

There are several places I love on that stretch of Aiport Blvd.: House Pizza, Quality Seafood (esp. Taco Tuesdays!), Kome (truly excellent sushi at a decent price point), and Tamale House. Additionally, Barfly's has cheap drinks, Burger Tex has decent burgers, and Mrs. Johnson's has donuts from 8 pm - 11 am (yes, you read that right).

Over in Hyde Park proper at 43rd and Duval, Mother's has amazing vegetarian food, the soup at Julio's is soul-soothing in the winter, and Quack's is a great bakery/coffeeshop for studying (Flightpath at 51st and Duval is another coffeeshop option in the area). I really like dinner at Hyde Park Bar and Grill for comfort food.

You also have an HEB close by, which is handy. Although that HEB always looks like it's been sacked by the Visigoths.

Edited by Tuck

I have a bit of a random question for Austinites. When I was there about two weeks ago looking for a place to live, I heard that Sprint cellphone service is particularly bad in Austin. I have Sprint and my contract is ending around the time I'll be moving to Texas. I didn't really notice that it was that bad, maybe a little slow on data sometimes, but I wasn't there very long. Is it that bad there? Should I consider switching carriers?

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

I am attending UT Austin as well. I moved to Austin the 30th of July and am staying in the Hyde Park area, near Black Swan Lagoon (Yoga!!). Joined a few meetup groups, but if anyone wants to walk around UT's campus without taking the official campus tour (OR, if you want to take the official campus tour!!!) please let me know. 

Also, safety of Hyde Park: I wouldn't walk around after 11PM anywhere, in Boston, Atlanta, or here. Everything's easier with a dog, but we don't want to put their lives in jeopardy for sake of nightwalking, yes? People are nice, but I'm not used to traditional residential areas, so I'd say it doesn't have as much light as I'd want. Where I'm staying, I'm about 8 minutes biking from campus. It's great. 

Maybe bump into you guys randomly or never. 

Edit* I am in Hyde Park, fyi.

Edited by Herbie

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me about the residence halls available? Which halls have the most graduate students living in the area..since living with undergraduates might come with conflicting priorities.

Would it be better to just get an apartment instead? I don't think I will be able to afford living in such a space, since I would have to worry about bills and other expenses.

Thanks.

On 1/6/2014 at 10:48 PM, christine16 said:

Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me about the residence halls available? Which halls have the most graduate students living in the area..since living with undergraduates might come with conflicting priorities.

Would it be better to just get an apartment instead? I don't think I will be able to afford living in such a space, since I would have to worry about bills and other expenses.

Thanks.

Hi!  I'm currently an undergrad at UT.  The residence halls on the UT campus are designed for undergraduate students -- especially freshmen and sophomores.  The university does have off-campus housing available for grad students, but I think you'd be better off finding an apartment on your own.

Edited by carrot_flowers

• 1 month later...

I've seen a number of UT Austin acceptances in the results search, so here's to bumping this up. I'm waiting on funding, but I'm pretty much set on UT. I currently live in North Carolina, and I am debating the idea of driving my car down or just selling it and finding a clunker once I (hopefully) move down. I haven't had a car through undergrad, so I've either borrowed a car to go to the grocery store or found other ways. I'm definitely open to not having a car and just getting by with an hourly rental car/similar service when the need arises. Is this feasible for life in Austin?

Reading through all 12 pages has left me excited to move down, and I've only heard good things from people here that I've told about my acceptance. My only woe is the idea of the heat. NC has some ridiculous fluctuations with some 100+ days, but I'm mentally preparing for the punch in the gut that are Texas summers. 

For people who are in Austin already, how did you find a roommate?

Hi!  I'm currently an undergrad at UT.  The residence halls on the UT campus are designed for undergraduate students -- especially freshmen and sophomores.  The university does have off-campus housing available for grad students, but I think you'd be better off finding an apartment on your own.  

Hey Carrot flowers, I am going for French ling. Since you are in the dept of French and Italian, do you know how the faculty and students in the grad program in French ling are?

Hey likemythesis,

I live in Austin now and I can tell you that you can get away without having a car. The biggest issue is really getting to the grocery store. Also getting to a Walmart/Target since there are not any actually located in Austin proper. Without a car I would suggest living biking or walking distance tom campus- there is a ton of bus routes through the city and through UT as a student everything is free of course. We also use the ZipCar here in Austin I've never used it but I have friends who love it. With a car you could live further from campus which can be a huge drop in rent, however parking is not only extremely expensive but UT actually sells more passes than spots so be warned. If you are used to not having a car you would probably be fine, but I know I wish I had one so I could spend less time getting to and from the lake/park/southcongress really anything over 2 miles from my apartment. 

As far as the summers go - Austin is not that bad. We are not as humid as Houston but we tend to get more rain than Dallas which is great. Due to the whole urban bubble effect we are usually 5-10 degrees warmer than the suburbs but you get used to it, plus other than this year the winters maybe get below freezing 8 -10 days. :)

Hey likemythesis,

I live in Austin now and I can tell you that you can get away without having a car. The biggest issue is really getting to the grocery store. Also getting to a Walmart/Target since there are not any actually located in Austin proper. Without a car I would suggest living biking or walking distance tom campus- there is a ton of bus routes through the city and through UT as a student everything is free of course. We also use the ZipCar here in Austin I've never used it but I have friends who love it. With a car you could live further from campus which can be a huge drop in rent, however parking is not only extremely expensive but UT actually sells more passes than spots so be warned. If you are used to not having a car you would probably be fine, but I know I wish I had one so I could spend less time getting to and from the lake/park/southcongress really anything over 2 miles from my apartment. 

As far as the summers go - Austin is not that bad. We are not as humid as Houston but we tend to get more rain than Dallas which is great. Due to the whole urban bubble effect we are usually 5-10 degrees warmer than the suburbs but you get used to it, plus other than this year the winters maybe get below freezing 8 -10 days. :)

Thank you very much! That's a big comfort. If you have any secret info or advice for newbies to Austin, please share. :)

Make sure you do at least one Music/Film/Food festival at one point. This city loves to throw parties so make sure you let yourself relax enough to enjoy it. The food is incredible, Hopdoddy's is the best burger joint (it is well worth the wait), anything Tex-Mex or barbecue is also awesome. Austin is also super fit. It seems like someone is always out biking, running, walking dogs, going to yoga classes, kayaking. I would suggest finding joining a club or finding an activity you are interested in. The bad thing about a large school is that you can feel lost in a crowd, the good thing is there is something for everyone.

North campus tends to house older students and families, you can rent houses, duplexes and apartment. West campus is mostly undergraduates, fraternities and sororities. There is more places to eat and drink but it is significantly more noisy. Where ever you end up, car or no car, ask about the nearest bus stops.

There are a ton of "hippies" here. At one point you will be harassed by peta or greenpeace. Consider it a right of passage.

Austin Bucket List (in my opinion)

ACL or South by Southwest

Austin Film Festival

Run in or Cheer on the Livestrong Marathon

Walk a dog at Austin Pets Alive

Barton Creek, hang out on Lake Austin

Order one of Austin's Local Brew

See at least one person who comes in UT's Speaker Series

Food: Hopdoddys, Mozarts, Kirby's, Home Slice, Uchi, Chuy's

Visit the top of the tower

Go to a sporting event

** On campus there is an old school (1920?) telescope, you have to climb up this creepy ladder into this tiny room in Painter Hall, it is usually open to the public, most of the times you catch a grad student working. Many of the old building have "hidden gems" that are not really advertised. 

Apologies for the longest post.

• 2 weeks later...

For people who are in Austin already, how did you find a roommate?

Hey Carrot flowers, I am going for French ling. Since you are in the dept of French and Italian, do you know how the faculty and students in the grad program in French ling are?

I haven't had much interaction with the graduate students, but from what I've gleaned they seem to be very supportive of one another and genuinely friendly.  The faculty members here are very down to earth and personable as well.  I always feel at ease attending office hours because I can tell that they're interested in my growth as a student.  Sounds like I'm paid to say that, but my experiences in this department have been positive for the most part.  

The easiest way it to email your department and ask them to pass along your message. Most people tend to find roomates that way at least in my school.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Thanks.

I am currently a grad student at UT.

I have heard that the graduate apartments are pretty depressing - they look like prison dorms from the outside, and have very few windows. There are a ton of apartment complexes that are affordable if you are willing to live a little further away (but still on the shuttle) with a roommate in a 2-bedroom. I live in the Far West neighborhood in just that. Hyde Park is where most grad students (and their PI's!) live; it is closer to campus and on convenient shuttle routes, but it is much more expensive. Many students rent houses together in order to afford it, or have to search a little harder to find an apartment. Also don't be afraid to look on Craigs List - the town is mostly students and young grads, so you will likely find like-minded people.

Feel free to ask me more!

On having a car: I respectfully disagree. Texas is not very walking friendly, especially if you are used to an area that is (I am from Chicago and like to walk everywhere!). I like to explore the area around (lots of State parks, craft breweries, etc) which would be very difficult without a car. Additionally, walking even a block (a Texas block, which can often be 1/2 mile) can be unbearable in the summer. Parking is actually relatively cheap - about $10 a month for a student permit! The downside is that you are limited in where you can park, but definitely more convenient than where I went to undergrad (>$400 per year and you were only allowed to park in 1 assigned lot!).

In addition to Zipcar, many students use Car to Go (<https://www.car2go.com/en/austin/>), where you pay by the minute for a smartcar. There are a ton of these all over town; the downsides are that they are not well maintained (especially due to students driving like maniacs to minimize their minutes) and while you might be able to find one to get somewhere, you most likely will not find one when you are trying to go back home.

Austin is a really fun place to be a grad student! Great specials everywhere and lots of inexpensive activities to do in your limited spare time. However, it took me a while to get used to the heat in the summer and having to drive everywhere.

Edited by arpestine

• 1 month later...

Far West is farther from campus than Hyde Park.  From what I've heard, it's a fairly residential area with the works: grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

I recommend Hyde Park, especially the area around 45th and Duval.  It's a charming neighborhood with a bus route (the 7) that runs through it along Duval with a few stops on campus.  

Other areas to consider (I know I mention buses, but you could also bike to campus if you live around these areas):

• Apartments/houses along Red River Street:  A good portion of this street is serviced by the RR Shuttle as well as the 10.  Around 42nd and Red River is the Hancock Center.  There you can find an HEB grocery store and some restaurants.  Super convenient.  Plenty of grad students, fine arts students, and law school students live along Red River.
  • The Cherrywood neighborhood east of campus along/near Manor Road: This area is very charming.  There are some hip and interesting restaurants awaiting you.  I've spent wayyy too much money here...  I believe there is a bus line that services this area with a few stops along campus. 

I definitely recommend thinking about if campus is bus-able from your residence.  Commuting to campus via bus is so convenient.  I would only use a car for trips to the grocery store or for leisure.  Parking around campus can be a nightmare.  This website might aid you in figuring out the commute: http://www.capmetro.org/schedulemap-ut.aspx

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all! I was just accepted to UT Austin and couldn't find a city guide here! Could anyone share some information with me about Austin? How is transportation? Any ideas on neighborhoods or areas to live in? Any other tips? How did you like living there, generally?

Edited by fuzzylogician
Merged with existing thread.