Transferring to different PhD program-- bad idea?

freuduccino

Hi all,

I've lurked around this site for a few years, but have never really participated. I'd like to see if anyone has insight re: transferring psych PhD programs.

I have been out of undergrad for a few years and worked as a volunteer research assistant before applying to grad school this past Fall. I applied to twelve schools (including two dual PhD programs in social psych/women's studies), and was only extended one offer to a social psych program at a small university. The program and adviser fit is poor, but I ultimately accepted (the prof who took me in is a former student of a close mentor, which is the main reason I said yes). However, as time has gone by, I've realized that I really want the dual degree in women's studies/social psych-- and it is only offered at two schools in the country, both of which are highly ranked.

I took the GRE in 2013 and earned not-so-great, but serviceable, scores (they meet the standard 1250 cutoff, if anyone is familiar with that criterion). I also did not have any publications during my application cycle last year, but now have a few first-author pubs in the works as well as upcoming conference presentations and involvement in professional societies. 

My question is: Would it be a horrible idea to re-apply to the two dual PhD programs only a few months into my first year of this program? And how would I go about discussing this with my adviser/asking him for a letter of rec? I was advised to at least stay in this program long enough to earn a master's degree, but my GRE scores will have reached their expiration date by that point (and I will not have time to study for them again while trying to do research and take classes). Also, for multiple reasons (e.g., financial), I cannot take a year off to study. 

Any advice or insight is highly appreciated! Thanks!

@Concordia - I've heard that schools put the most weight on applicants' publication history and research experience. GRE scores don't necessarily take center stage. I'm not sure I understand your second comment... do you mean that I shouldn't let my lackluster scores force me out of applying to other programs? Or do you mean that I should not force myself out of my current program because, even with an improved CV, my GRE scores will prevent me from gaining acceptance elsewhere?

@rising_star - That is a viable option that I have mulled over! :) However, I'm not sure if it would be helpful career-wise... my current program has an extremely poor track record of placing students into tenure-track positions, whereas the two dual programs have launched basically every graduate onto that path. The research I am doing here would also not translate well to feminist research, so I'm not sure that a certificate in women's studies would necessarily make sense. 

22 hours ago, freuduccino said:

Also, for multiple reasons (e.g., financial), I cannot take a year off to study. 

Why would you need to take a year off to study for the GRE? If you use an online program, you can work on it as much or as little as you need to. While I do not believe GREs are the final choice makers in choosing prospective students to offer admissions to, I do think that because of high competition, committees use the GREs in some fashion to weed out students. Obviously, it's then important to have better than lackluster scores, if you want a top program. You must have it all. There is also no guarantee that you will be admitted anywhere else either.

3 hours ago, freuduccino said:

@Concordia - I've heard that schools put the most weight on applicants' publication history and research experience. GRE scores don't necessarily take center stage. I'm not sure I understand your second comment... do you mean that I shouldn't let my lackluster scores force me out of applying to other programs? Or do you mean that I should not force myself out of my current program because, even with an improved CV, my GRE scores will prevent me from gaining acceptance elsewhere?

Just consider whether your scores will keep you out of a good program.  If no, then by all means hurry up and use them.  If yes, then why cut corners elsewhere in your application?  Do what you need to do.

I'm curious about the other end of things... Let's say you apply to those programs and are able to get a LOR from your professor. What if you don't get in? Will you be staying in your current program? What kind of tension might exist between you and the faculty at your current institution? Or even if you do get in, once your current department knows you've applied elsewhere there is the possibility for tension leading up to your acceptance/departure. Of course you can't possibly have answers to these questions just yet, but take them into consideration as you get to the know the faculty and be strategic in your decisions.

That being said, I think if you're not happy where you are and it is a poor fit with poor placements, then it might be a good idea to apply elsewhere now. But I'd suggest applying widely to ensure you do get an offer to another department with a better fit. Include the 2 programs you want, but also include programs where there are faculty members doing research on topics pertaining to your interests; they need not offer concentrations or dual degrees.

Others have provided some advice for your GREs; make time to study and try again, or apply to programs that are realistic for your qualifications. Keep in mind that some schools do not view transfers/current PhD applicants favorably, which is why applying widely to several programs is important - you need to find a program that is 1) okay with transfers, 2) satisfied with your GRE scores, 3) impressed by your research experience or goals, and 4) believe your overall package is a great match for the department. People interpret things differently. That's why some people say PhD admissions are (at least partially) based on luck.

One more thing - If the dual degree programs are placing well, it isn't necessarily because of the dual degree. You said they're both highly ranked, which probably means they have excellent resources and networks to place students well. But plenty of other programs do, too. Look for or ask about placements if you do decide to apply elsewhere. Only apply to schools you'd be happy attending if they're the only one that accepts you. Find programs with a strong research fit, good placements that align with your goals, and productive (and happy) students. Good luck!