Help finding Security Studies Programs

LowAchiever

Hello all,

I've just finished up my GRE and looking to apply to some masters programs related to security studies. I was looking for advice on what schools to apply to. I am fortunate enough to be in the McNair Scholars program and all related fees are waved, so I want to be sure I apply to a multitude of schools. I was unable to find a good source for the ranking of security study programs.

So far I plan on applying at Georgetown, sais, american , GWU, and korbel. 

Just looking for schools that have established security studies programs, locations DC > NY > CA > elsewhere ( in the US)   

Thanks for any help. 

How many total schools do you want to apply to? If you still haven't found any good resources, I would just use a spreadsheet and google to research whether the top 30 or so programs have the focus area you're looking for. It's tedious, I know. But if you visit the schools' websites you can start to track other data points that interest you.

@LowAchiever patient use of the search function in this forum will lead you to many threads centered around security studies. Some of the information may have a limited shelf life.

Also, Foreign Policy maintains an online guide that may be helpful. https://fpguide.foreignpolicy.com/

I would put Fletcher's MALD program with a security focus as #2 in the world (after Georgetown) so would definitely add them to your list.  You might also add SIPA to your list.

Just remember, having a clearance, veteran's preference, cyber skills, and industry experience are all factors that matter far, far more than any MA in Security Studies. 

Whoa....Fletcher is certainly not known for Security Studies and would barely be in the top ten. It is certainly below SAIS, Georgetown, Korbel, SIPA, and GWU. Even GSPIA in Pittsburgh has a stronger reputation for Security Studies than Fletcher. If you want to switch to Public Policy, Fletcher would be a strong choice. Security Studies? Maybe if you are applying widely and need a backup.

20 hours ago, DevinMiles said:

Whoa....Fletcher is certainly not known for Security Studies and would barely be in the top ten. It is certainly below SAIS, Georgetown, Korbel, SIPA, and GWU. Even GSPIA in Pittsburgh has a stronger reputation for Security Studies than Fletcher. If you want to switch to Public Policy, Fletcher would be a strong choice. Security Studies? Maybe if you are applying widely and need a backup.

That has not been my experience as an established professional in this field. I would be curious what research or experience you have that brought you to that conclusion. 

It is great that you went there and liked the program, but you should try to be more objective. I read your post again and get it that you want to promote the school, but you went a bit overboard. I'm not ripping on the school. Fletcher is good for some areas, but it has almost no recognition for security studies.

Also, I second what Concordia said about King's College. St. Andrews has a good program too. One other nice thing about many European programs is that they can be completed in one year. And if you want something in DC as a backup, check out GMU. Since it's in DC, they get a lot of people with real world experience like Michael Hayden. Good luck.

17 hours ago, DevinMiles said:

It is great that you went there and liked the program, but you should try to be more objective. I read your post again and get it that you want to promote the school, but you went a bit overboard. I'm not ripping on the school. Fletcher is good for some areas, but it has almost no recognition for security studies.

Also, I second what Concordia said about King's College. St. Andrews has a good program too. One other nice thing about many European programs is that they can be completed in one year. And if you want something in DC as a backup, check out GMU. Since it's in DC, they get a lot of people with real world experience like Michael Hayden. Good luck.

A quick read of my post history will confirm that's not the case. You appear to know little to nothing about this field. 

• 2 months later...

Any specific concentration you wish to focus on? Topics like Eurasia, East Europe, Russia; China;  Terrorism/Counterrorism; and defense/military strategy seem to very popular in the GWU Security Policy Studies program.

But, if you're into things like cyber, then avoid at costs. It's very poorly developed in my opinion (eg: lack of available classes, having to go to the Computer Science; lack of focus on the technical components). I'm taking a few outside online courses and earning professional IT certifications to make up for it. Thankfully, I don't graduate until 6 more months as well.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:53 AM, OneLove21 said:

Any specific concentration you wish to focus on? Topics like Eurasia, East Europe, Russia; China;  Terrorism/Counterrorism; and defense/military strategy seem to very popular in the GWU Security Policy Studies program.

But, if you're into things like cyber, then avoid at costs. It's very poorly developed in my opinion (eg: lack of available classes, having to go to the Computer Science; lack of focus on the technical components). I'm taking a few outside online courses and earning professional IT certifications to make up for it. Thankfully, I don't graduate until 6 more months as well.

Can you talk a little about your experience at GW?

Can anyone comment on how GW, Georgetown, SAIS, SIPA, or Korbel compare to AU's SIS US Foreign Policy and National Security concentration?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 6:00 PM, Frosty_McGee said:

Can you talk a little about your experience at GW?

Can anyone comment on how GW, Georgetown, SAIS, SIPA, or Korbel compare to AU's SIS US Foreign Policy and National Security concentration?

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. This is my first time logging on since that post.

For one, they've totally changed their curriculum for the Security Policy Studies program since your post. This curriculum change will apply for those who enter GW ESIA from Fall 2018 to beyond. Although the new curriculum change does not apply to me, I'm personally not a fan of it. I find it too restricting. They originally offered  a variety of concentrations (Cyber, defense, development, national security, conflict/conflict resolution, human security, regional security, Nuclear-Energy policy, Customized option, etc). Now, you can only pick one out of four concentrations.

Anyway here's some good and bad:

Good: 
-Many international opportunities. My exchange program to Singapore was the best decision that I ever made. 

-Several challenging courses with high expectations

-Evening classes that start at 5PM or 7PM (great for those who work)

-No thesis. Just a 1-year capstone option.

-Dedicated career counselors

The Bad
-Language is not heavily emphasized. There's a language requirement, sure. But, there's not much for those who want to enhance or are willing to learn/level-up on a language.

-Program Directors tend to be unavailable,busy, and even unresponsive at times when needed (both via email& in-person, in my experience). The Security program is currently seeking a new Program Director, though. So, hopefully this will no longer be a problem.

-Strong emphasis on being a reputable program and hurrying up to getting your degree for a 'government job'.  Less emphasis on getting to know or further students' career goals. I'm currently in a semester exchange at George Mason University, and for the first time, I actually have a professor who encourages students to approach him for advice when needed. (I remember this one member on here who said that he got this vibe from a GW orientation..he said that he chose SIS over GW because that there was too much emphasis on brand name and less emphasis on personal connections).

Edited by Guest

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, OneLove21 said:

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. This is my first time logging on since that post.

For one, they've totally changed their curriculum for the Security Policy Studies program since your post. This curriculum change will apply for those who enter GW ESIA from Fall 2018 to beyond. Although the new curriculum change does not apply to me, I'm personally not a fan of it. I find it too restricting. They originally offered  a variety of concentrations (Cyber, defense, development, national security, conflict/conflict resolution, human security, regional security, Nuclear-Energy policy, Customized option, etc). Now, you can only pick one out of four concentrations.

I completely agree. I am choosing not to attend GW for a few reasons, and the new curriculum is one of them.

You may want to consider Duke Sanford. They offer a National Security concentration within the MPP program, so you get the basic MPP skills (econ, statistical analysis, etc.), but can focus your electives on foreign affairs and security studies. They have some awesome course offerings that I have taken, which are accompanied by a remarkable lecture series. I've been to lectures and dinners with four star generals (Chairman JCS, NORTHCOMM, and SOUTHCOMM commanders), James Clapper, Lisa Monaco, Elliot Abrams, asst. secretaries of state, and more that I can't even remember. In the next four weeks Gen. Dunford, Coni Rice, and Nikki Haley will also be coming. It makes for an excellent in/out of classroom environment. The "American Grand Strategy" program also hosts staff rides. A big group just got back from an almost fully funded trip to France for Spring Break for a 100th anniversary WWI staff ride. Sanford isn't widely on the map as a security program, but I think it will be soon. You can also cross enroll in UNC- Chapel Hill and NC State courses. There are also mulitple terrorism and security research institutes in the Research Triangle and a Duke professor directs an IC-CAE program for the triangle area. If you receive IC-CAE scholar designation (as I have) you receive priority consideration for jobs in the IC. Last week, the ICCAE program took a group of students to DC to visit and tour and handful of the IC agencies like CIA, DIA and NGA. Lastly, a handful of military fellows for the Triangle Institute for Terrorism Studies (TISS) enroll for a non-degree one year program each year at Duke. There are four fellows this year that I have taken multiple classes with. They are all the Lt. Colonel or Colonel level and bring excellent first hand experience to class discussions. 

Edited by SanfordMPPCandidate2018

On 3/20/2018 at 1:38 PM, Frosty_McGee said:

I completely agree. I am choosing not to attend GW for a few reasons, and the new curriculum is one of them.

Good to know that someone else feels the same. The original curriculum was one of the main reasons for why I chose GW over the other programs in which I was accepted.

Edited by Guest