retaking comp exams

serenade

Hi Everyone, 

I started this thread in the "coursework, advising, and exams" section but per another poster's suggestion, am moving it over to the history forum. Tl; dr: I passed the written portion of comps but failed the oral. My committee is letting me retake exams, but I have questions regarding which portion to retake; when to retake them; and how much contact with my committee is the norm - the details of which are included in my most recent post in the thread. Any advice is welcome. Thanks. 

Ah, yes, good idea, Sigaba. My primary field is Early Modern Europe (1500-1648) with secondary fields in High and Late Middle Ages (1000-1500) as well as Anglo-American Transatlantic History (1558-1763). 

And thanks for the pdf from the AHA! 

1 hour ago, serenade said:

Ah, yes, good idea, Sigaba. My primary field is Early Modern Europe (1500-1648) with secondary fields in High and Late Middle Ages (1000-1500) as well as Anglo-American Transatlantic History (1558-1763). 

And thanks for the pdf from the AHA! 

Please see the attached.

guideoralsshort_compressed.pdf

I responded to your question in the other section of the fora.  Y

You'd do very, very well to read this then.  I used it to help me brush up the early modern period and overall preparation:  worked like a charm for me-- really impressed my European history committee members.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~icon/teach/index.html

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I responded to your question in the other section of the fora.  Y

You'd do very, very well to read this then.  I used it to help me brush up the early modern period and overall preparation:  worked like a charm for me-- really impressed my European history committee members.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~icon/teach/index.html

With things where they are, should @serenade use the longer version or the short version of Fasolt's guide?

Edited by Sigaba

Ah, yes, I remember an older grad student in my dept giving me this during my first semester (but admittedly, I never made use of it). It is sitting on my desk under a pile of papers. Definitely will pull it for this next go round! Thanks.