Is this a good or bad idea?

solairne

Yes, I'm aware that if I have to ask that question it is a good indicator that it is, in fact, a bad idea... but(!) here goes anyway.

So after having been turned down by 3 of my 4 schools that I applied to, I'm considering sending an email to a professor at the one remaining school. The one that remains is my top choice. I applied to the other 3 more out of a sense of not wanting to apply to only one school and was aware that they would most likely be rejections as I was not a very good fit. However, having 3 rejections come in before an acceptance has sort of put this sense of panic in me. I'm a wonderful fit at my top choice and I've spoken with 3 professors there who seem genuinely interested in me, but one in particular I had a pretty good conversation with.

So what I am thinking of is sending this professor an email (mind you, not disclosing the other rejections) and saying something along the lines of if I were offered admissions I would definitely take it. I figure that has to be something they consider when they send out admissions - considering who may actually take them up on it. Is this a good idea, bad idea, meddling, me being neurotic? The school guarantees funding, so I'm not worried that they'd use this information to accept me but offer me less of a funding package.

Should I just wait it out or does this sound like a good plan?

i recommend waiting it out. if you're really curious, contact the department office to see if you can get a sense of when notifications will be sent out.

if you've done the leg work and talked with several faculty members before submitting your app, then they will remember you and know that you are very interested.

patience! and good luck! :rolleyes:

Bad idea, in my opinion. It's not a matter of them worried that you'll accept the offer, rather if they want you there. It's kind of me like telling MIT that I'd accept their offer if they gave it to me. Just remember, they're not in the business of doing applicants favors. But I'm sure that you'll get accepted if you are indeed a fit and they are aware of you. I agree with the above poster that you could contact them to see when decisions might be made, but I'd omit anything that sounds like "I need this, please, please, pretty please". Find out a time frame, and be confident. Heck, they might give you a preliminary decision.

Good luck!

Agreed! Saying something of that nature makes you seem desperate to the adcomms or profs at that school. Most adcomms are looking for students who are 100% confident in there abilities/chances. Also, the faculty sitting on the adcomms are not stupid (although I like to think so sometimes :D), so they know what you are getting at even if you don't tell them about your rejections from other schools.

Wait it out, and you'll be fine!

Thank you all for the opinions. I'd rep all of you up, but I've apparently hit the limit. I'll try to remember to come back tomorrow to do so.

I will wait it out. I didn't think of it from that angle of coming off desperate and that is the last thing I'd want.

Thanks again

Thank you all for the opinions. I'd rep all of you up, but I've apparently hit the limit. I'll try to remember to come back tomorrow to do so.

I will wait it out. I didn't think of it from that angle of coming off desperate and that is the last thing I'd want.

Thanks again

Man, I've also done that before! Usually on days I'm in a really good mood, giving everyone pluses. And then suddenly I hit a limit and it's like, "Nooo! But I have so much more love to give... Damn it, this new person is way more deserving than the last person, IF ONLY I'D KNOWN!"

It's one of them, you know, ant and grosshopper kinda things.

I would suggest other ways to show your enthusiasm. If the program does not have official interviews/visit and you have the means, you could contact the graduate coordinator and say you'd like to visit. Where the department was receptive, I had very good luck with this method. If they blow you off, no biggie.