History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm applying to the MA at the University of Delaware as sort of a backup if I end last minute wanting to go into Art History instead of Romance Languages (the other programs I applied to).

The percentage of acceptance to the program, though, is quite small so I don't know how much of a 'backup' it really is..haha

What about you?/What area of specialization?

Ah very cool. I actually interned at Penn's Museum this past summer which first interested me in their graduate programs.

If I do go with Art History, I want to study the Renaissance and Baroque in Spain. I'm mostly interested in the role of patronage in Spanish Art (Mendoza), as well as the role that Italy has played in the artistic formations of Spain's greatest masters in those periods (El Greco, Ribera, Vel

I'm actually not so sure what I'll end up doing. Right now I'm working as a research assistant at an art museum and really love it, but who knows what will change in the next five or so years. What's your master plan? What other non-art history programs did you apply to?

If I go with Art History, I'd love to work in a museum (I live in Philly so the Philadelphia Art Museum would be like the dream job, haha), dealing with Renaissance/Baroque painting, etc. etc. They actually do a yearly internship for grad students so I might look into that if I go that route. Delaware's program is pretty helpful in that respect because while getting the MA (or PhD) in Art History you can also work towards a certificate in Museum Studies which seems like it would be a great first step into curatorial work.

I also applied to Romance Language Depts (almost all MAs, one PhD at Penn). Most are in Spanish, although the one I really want to attend is a Dual MA at UDelaware in Spanish & French. I'd like to do some work in translating before I go back to school for a PhD in History/Medieval-Renaissance Studies. Either way I would love to do work as a professor, while also working in the museum world. I was an intern the archives at the Penn Museum and even though it was just the archives I loved it - very cool experience. I love the interdisciplinary nature of the humanities because in reality I think it would be hard for me to pick just one aspect of Romance/European culture to study for the rest of my life - I love the art, culture, history, language, etc. Either way I think the MA in languages or art history would be one step in the right direction in terms of what I ultimately want to do.

What specific area of 19th century German art are you interested in? I'm not familiar at all with that period so I'm sure whatever it is must be quite interesting.

Equal preparation in the backgrounds of Romance Languages and Art History (intertwined quite well especially during my 4 months studying Spanish and Art History at the University of Seville, in Spain) has prepped me for graduate work in a variety of closely related fields.

If you're trying to make it sound like I wouldn't be prepared if I were to go into Art History, then you are extremely mistaken - and a few of my publications would make you think otherwise...

If you are just trying to make a joke through sarcasm -which is extremely difficult to interpret when it's written down, and not spoken- then touch

lxs: I too am applying to PhD programs in the History of Art. My interests lie primarily in the Italian Renaissance, although Northern Renaissance and Baroque is a close second, especially due to my fascination with 17th century Netherlandish Art.

My BA is in Greek and Roman Civilization with a concentration in Mediterranean Art and Archaeology and my minor was Art History. I feel that my background in classical art has and will serve me well when studying many aspects of the art of Renaissance Italy. This was especially the case as I wrote my MA thesis, which examined classical influences of Renaissance artists. The programs I've applied to are notable in that they would allow me to merge both of my interests.

I received my master's degree in May of '07 as well, and am looking forward to February and March, so I can stop wondering what my life will be like a year from now!! I think it will drive me crazy. It's a good thing winter break is over and I can throw myself into my work. I am in my fifth year as a special ed. reading and language arts teacher--and between NCLB and my students, I have my hands full!

Will any of you apply again next year if things don't pan out?

It seems that your strong background in the Classics will definitely help with the field you are looking to specialize in, and all of those programs are really strong ones -I wouldn't be surprised with your classical background though that Penn might favor you (they have a really strong classical focus in the art history dept, as I'm sure you know)

I will definitely apply again next year if I don't get in to any of my top choices, delaying a year wouldn't be the end of the world for me - and yourself?

no8do: just jesting. best of luck in your endeavors! that being said, art history is an arena where people think 'hmm..it's built on interdisciplinary approaches...i can say anything i've done applies.' this is a misunderstanding. it will surely be detected by professors who have devoted their lives SOLELY to the history of art if it is insincere...

i agree with no8do, however, about the previous poster and his/her classical background. interesting approach! i'm applying to ancient art programs at boston u., uberkeley, uchicago and harvard. i'm just glad we won't be competing...your approach is pretty novel.

what about your undergrad./ma work, lxs? what was your focus? you've picked some top tier programs like me and halifax. are we just crazy???? we can dream can't we?? :(

Haha yea actually I know that purists might not like my particular spin on the humanities in the context of Art History. I have a professor who actually was going for a PhD in Art History and after she finished the MA, she realized that she wanted to know more: why artists painted what they did, what the historical significance of it all was, aka she didn't want to have to be interested or limited by talking about 'x' brushstroke and 'x' medium, etc. which is what a lot of her professors were emphasizing on top of her other interests.

Yes Art History is all of it together, but she was less interested in the technical aspect and realized that she could study Art History through other fields in a much more interdisciplinary manner, so she ended up with a PhD in Medieval Studies - my ultimate goal.

Herakles (I like the greek-ness of your name!) - What area of ancient art? One of my recommenders is Susan McCarter (Hopkins, York College)- a very well respected professor in Prehistoric and Near Eastern Art; her and her husband teach at Hopkins, wasn't sure if you've heard of her since she might be in the same field within the discipline as you -'ancient art' can include quite a bit!

I am pleased to see the positive feedback regarding my "approach"...I've planned it carefully since my first year of undergrad, simply because the relationship between the two was extremely intriguing to me from the very beginning. I hope the admission committees will see it my way!

Herakles: What areas of ancient art are you interested in? I am glad we aren't competing as well! Many of the people on this board certainly have their act together and shall be considered foreboding in this race to the Ivys!

My only issue right now is that U Penn is only showing one of my transcripts as being received by the graduate group. I sent them in late October so they may have been misplaced during the onslaught of all the other applications in November and December. I have contacted them via email numerous times regarding the issue, asking if perhaps they just didn't make the transfer from the graduate admissions office to the graduate group, but the contact in the history of art program seems to think they are there somewhere and I shouldn't worry.

Should I be worried? No one has actually attempted to contact me directly about this, so I'm going to settle back, somewhat uneasily, and see how the situation unfolds. Apps were due on the 15th of December, so the date has long passed. SO nerve-racking! All the other institutions have received each of my transcripts. Has anyone else had this problem?

I currently have the same exact problem at Penn though with a foreign transcript(Romance Languages Dept.), and they reacted the same way. Everything will fall into place I guess as the dept secretary is sure that what I've given her is correct and that everything is in line to be reviewed by the admissions committee - whenever that ends up happening, I know that Penn's semester starts next week (wednsday I believe) so perhaps we'll be hearing sooner rather than later? Very nerve-wracking though!

Thanks for the reply NO8DO. I'm glad to see I am not the only one in this state of limbo. I suppose they just have SO many pieces of mail go through the graduate admissions office that sorting it out can take some time. Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything is there!!

halifax - where are you seeing your application status? I never got anything from Penn notifying me that I could check. This scares me. I had the same problem with another school, but it turned out they just hadn't had time to go through the mail yet, and it showed up soon after. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

Also NO8DO, there were a number of people in my MA program who had BAs in things other than art history so I would imagine your chances are just as good as anyone else's....or maybe even better, as there doesn't seem to be an enormous number of people working on Spanish art.

NEVERMIND, I just logged on to my Penn application and it actually says that both my transcripts are missing as well! Maybe they just haven't entered transcripts yet? I sent mine well before the deadline.

Not to totally dominate the forum but herakles - have you heard anything about your Harvard application? I don't even know if they're considering mine at this point. I sent everything in and submitted my application. It was accepted, I received a confirmation, and my checking acct showed that the payment had gone through. I logged on again to see if the online application showed my status and lo and behold, I hadn't realized there was a second part to the application dealing with financial aid. I filled it out and submitted, but this was January 3, and, of course, the deadline was January 2. So, who knows where I am in application limbo with them. Just wondered if they had given any information as to where application status can be checked.

Wow, lxs, I am really glad we are not in competition for more than one school (and even then, we're in different areas of specialization) :lol: Your scholarly endeavors of the last few years are very impressive, and I wish you all the luck in the world!! I know what you mean about feeling as though you've done just about everything in your power to have a heck of a chance at these Ivys, but that certainly doesn't stop me from worrying constantly. I suppose if I am unable to gain admission this year, I will most likely try again next, after fattening up my CV a bit with more Adjunct positions and publications--I will also make sure to apply to at least 8 programs. I didn't feel as though I could handle more than five this year but now I wish I had reconsidered!

I just about had a heart attack when I received an email today from Yale's Graduate School, but it was just a form email giving instructions on where to send extra materials....I knew it was too early for an acceptance or rejection but that didn't keep me from breaking out in a cold sweat when I saw it!!

It seems that U Penn is still in the process of gathering all transcripts---how funny that we are all kind of in the same situation...there's safety in numbers.

Have a great day.

Herakles (I like the greek-ness of your name!) - What area of ancient art? One of my recommenders is Susan McCarter (Hopkins, York College)- a very well respected professor in Prehistoric and Near Eastern Art; her and her husband teach at Hopkins, wasn't sure if you've heard of her since she might be in the same field within the discipline as you -'ancient art' can include quite a bit!

thanks! i figured i needed a mythical name for the feat of getting in to these programs. my area of interest is greek/roman art (i won't bore you guys with the details- - lol). but, i don't have a large amount of background as i'm coming straight out of my undergrad. work. for the understanding of art history one has barely gotten started with an undergrad. major in it. we'll see how they like us 'blank canvas' types.

lxs, harvard is kinda...bastard like? they aren't exactly biting at the bit to help you out with the process. i think they get sick of students muffing up what they consider a straight forward procedure. only thing is: none of these institutions have a very 'straight forward' application process! take me: i just found out there was a second part to the application from you! :oops:

I think Penn and NYU's applications were the most hassle-free to fill out, just because they allowed for uploading a lot of documents that other schools required me to send in separate packages, and of course be put to the test of the USPS.

I do know that (and I'm not sure if I read this or was told my the graduate coordinator) once it gets to a certain point with Penn's application process, they might not even update the login/status page with recently received app materials - so that could explain the transcript thing - although in my case I'm still quite positive that the foreign transcript I gave them isn't enough until an official one from the foreign university arrives - and unfortunately I'm at the merciful (and incredibly slow) hands of the Spanish bureaucratic system, so the transcript could very well arrive in October - haha.

As for Spanish Art, lxs, that was what my advisor suggested to me - there aren't many hispanists in the field and that just might work to my advantage - though still, with a program that has annually over 100 applicants and a 16% (or lower) acceptance rate between PhD and MA applicants, I think I'll need any advantages I can get! Let's hope the admissiosn committee thinks like you!

^^^^true. we all need every advantage possible. i feel as if we're all lepers climbing over one another to get to a moving bread truck. and, they have but one loaf left!!!!

lxs, you have very good credentials. i would say as long as your undergrad. and ma gpa's are above 3.6 that you are a sure fit for at least two of your programs. well, a 700+ on the verbal gre section wouldn't hurt either! how interesting that you and halifax are both into gender studies, too.

you guys are making me feel less and less confident. thanks for that.

It may boost your confidence to know that my undergrad GPA and GRE scores kind of suck. I had a 3.25 overall GPA in undergrad and a 3.95 in my MA program. Did so-so on the GRE - the first time I took it (before my MA program) I had 590Q/600V/4.5AW. I took it again this fall and got 690Q/610V/5.5AW. I didn't study for quant. part AT ALL and studied verbal FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS so I have no idea how I improved in one and not the other. I'm really nervous that these numbers are going to get me knocked out of the running. Everyone else has such impressive standardized testing scores. :(

Some of my interests coincide with yours only in a different period. I've done much work regarding the female gaze during the Renaissance period, particularly with regards to nuptial furnishings that often had paintings of mythological subjects adorning their sides.

That sounds really interesting! What sort of artists/theorists are you looking at?

lxs, harvard is kinda...bastard like? they aren't exactly biting at the bit to help you out with the process. i think they get sick of students muffing up what they consider a straight forward procedure. only thing is: none of these institutions have a very 'straight forward' application process! take me: i just found out there was a second part to the application from you! :oops:

Did you see it on their website??? So strange. As I understood it, they fully fund every HoA student, too, so why the need for the application for funding? Oh well...I guess I wasn't banking too much on getting in there anyway.