History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

Hi mew-

I'm applying to six schools, including Harvard and U Chicago, which motivated me to stop lurking and post. I'm an American in the MA program in Chinese Art History at National Taiwan University, & interested in cross cultural artistic exchange during the Kangxi era. Waiting sucks, especially because office hours in the States are the very same hours that I should be using to sleep.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh!!! i'm so glad you called. you rule! everyone i talked to did say that no one hears from chicago until march...they must have changed that policy when they changed their funding situation. let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same!

lxs: yeah, i'm glad i called too! the wait is already excruciating, and not knowing about the possible interview made it worse. anyway, i'll definitely let you know if i hear anything!

dan: what an interesting field you're in! the girl i know is only applying to MA programs, i think. what other schools are you applying to (just wondering, because my school has a pretty well-known chinese scholar... i'm curious to see if he's on the list :)

let's just leave it at this: it's a professor at top-ten school that's not on your list :) i think, though, that this guy is more interested in modern/contemporary buddhist art, although i've never taken a class from him myself..

princeton itself is quite nice, no? i really liked the little town

sure... it's nice... ish... just a little bit isolated. definitely some demographics they don't talk about ever. i guess it's nice if you've got the money to shop and eat downtown (j. crew, banana republic, ralph lauren, lahiere's, etc)

I grew up in Central Jersey. Besides, as folks from Jersey know, Princeton doesn't really count as a part of the Garden State - it's its own little world.

I never said it wasn't. That's actually what a large part of my problem with Princeton is. That and the seeming ignorance of the low wages the University pays to essential staff. Oh and people ignoring the fact that there are lots of immigrants needing assistance (as in, undergrads go tutor in Trenton but not at the public schools in Princeton).

just in case anyone else applied to berkeley: they're starting to make their decisions now! i just had a phone interview with a professor there this afternoon, and she said they'd be making their final decisions within the next week or two...

just in case anyone else applied to berkeley: they're starting to make their decisions now! i just had a phone interview with a professor there this afternoon, and she said they'd be making their final decisions within the next week or two...

Wow, congrats on the interview! I know people who applied to the program and weren't interviewed so the fact that you were must say something for your chances.

thanks! :) the professor was extremely friendly and it wasn't a formal interview at all... she spent a lot of the time telling me about things i would like at berkeley! i hope that, if i get more interviews, they're all as chill as this one was...

How exciting mew27!!!! You must be thrilled! :lol: I just about jumped out of my skin this morning when I checked the results page and saw that an art history interview had taken place :D The first one on the forum...I then immediately went to the history of art thread to see which one of you guys it was! Congratulations and let's keep our fingers crossed for more art history notifications soon.

Is interviewing for art history programs the norm?

thanks!! :) i was VERY surprised to hear from someone this early...and thrilled, needless to say. i just hope everything works out in the end (for all of us)!

i think that interviews are pretty common at the private schools - they often bring prospective students to campus and try to woo them. that being said, i don't know how many of them feel obligated to do it. i guess berkeley doesn't bring students out because it's a state school and has less money to throw around...

who_got_in on lj says that someone got accepted at U of C! It sure wasn't me.... Has anyone heard from them?

The acceptance to U of C was also posted on the results page here....I thought it was probably either you or mew27...gosh, how nerve-racking!

halifax: thanks! i'm *so* thrilled. chicago was definitely one of my top two choices. i feel like a little kid, i'm so jittery... :)

it seems so late for them just to be telling you that your app is complete! i think that's a good sign, though; if they weren't considering you, they probably would have already sent out the rejection letter, right? *fingers crossed for you* is cornell your top choice?

congrats!!! when i saw the post on whogotin, i thought it was probably you. you must have done an awesome job in undergrad to get so many early acceptances from top schools! i have no idea what's going on with u of c. my friend also applied there and has an appointment next week to meet with the person she's applying to work with to discuss her research interests...one of those meetings that should have happened back in november or december, but he kept having to push it back. i have no idea why this would be happening if they sent out all their acceptances today?! i'm pretty bummed, though, chicago was one of my top choices. time to go drown my sorrows in some cake! :(

I agree with lxs...you must have had stellar grades and worked your butt off!! Yes, Cornell is actually one of my top choices--the other one being UT Austin. Hopefully I'll find out soon!!

lxs: back away from the cake.....slowly....it's only the first round, I'm sure. You'll get your day :)

I had a feeling this morning that something monumental was going to occur today, and when my husband went out to retrieve our mail--lo and behold, an envelope from Cornell!! I ripped it open, and much to my chagrin, it was just a form letter saying that my app was complete and they would be reviewing it in the coming weeks.........what a let down!! (At least it wasn't a rejection :| )

Haha. I got the same letter and thought it was a rejection because it was so skinny. Although they said they hadn't received my GRE scores, which were sent by ETS in December!

To those applying to Chicago, did you happen to visit? Someone I know who went there told me they found it rather chilly (and not just in the weather sense), and they could only muster the minimum residency. Also, did you hear about the spate of violence this past fall, including the Ph.D. student who was shot? Not to be Debbie Downer, but from what I can tell, the relationship with the surrounding area is pretty strange--classic ivory tower in the ghetto, making students and staff easy pickins. Apparently students don't cross certain streets, etc. Hearing about all of this made me not want to apply (not that I could have gotten in anyway).

To those applying to Chicago, did you happen to visit?

i live in chicago and i did visit. for the record, it took me a good hour to get there, even though it is only a few miles from where i work. public transportation between it and the rest of the city is next to impossible. lots of people call it where fun goes to die, because all that is there is the campus, really. hyde park itself is pretty nice, but it is surrounded by very rough territory. the school seems to do a pretty good job of patrolling the area, etc. that said, the campus is really beautiful, and the smart museum is awesome.