What is a Courtesy appointment?

samman1994

Question

Hello everyone,

What is a courtesy appointment in academia? I know you have primary faculty, secondary, emeritus, etc. But this is the first time I've come across courtesy appointments. A quick google search indicated that these are almost like "contractor" professors. They are not theoretically hired by the school itself, and often times are not permanent. One of the professors I've been looking at for my PhD is listed as a courtesy appointment, but I don't want to join their lab is they aren't going to stay there for very long. Thank you as always!

5 answers to this question

It's usually used for a professor who is cross-listed from their primary department. So an ethics professor may be listed as faculty in Philosophy, but have a courtesy appointment in biomed because they specialize in biomedical ethics.

ETA: It's going to depend on the program how invested they are in their departments.

Edited by bhr

This can also be a courtesy appointment from another school/research center. So you might have someone at Research Center A with a courtesy appointment at Local University B. 

It lets them apply for things with the school, and often is done to let them serve on graduate committees easily while not paying them/giving them official duties in the department.

5 minutes ago, Eigen said:

This can also be a courtesy appointment from another school/research center. So you might have someone at Research Center A with a courtesy appointment at Local University B. 

It lets them apply for things with the school, and often is done to let them serve on graduate committees easily while not paying them/giving them official duties in the department.

This POI personally told me to contact them when I apply, so they could get my application through and get me into the school (to join their research lab). So I doubt they would be doing that if they were at another school. I think its probably what bhr said.