Can I apply to PhD and Masters of same program?

CaffeLatte

Question

Hi all,

First post, so apologies if I'm doing something horribly wrong. I'm considering applying to PhD programs + MA programs as backups - But the problem is, my ideal MA programs are, of course, housed in the same schools as my ideal PhD programs.

Can I apply to both programs at once? Is this looked down upon? I assume the same individuals are reading both applications - Do I jeopardize my PhD application by submitting a Masters app?

Thanks!

C

1 answer to this question

I would say check the admissions pages--both the graduate admissions page and the specific program page--for each of the schools you're looking at. I'm in the same boat and I've found it varies; some schools are making me complete a separate application while it seems that others will consider (or forward?) my app to the MA program if they don't think I'm ready for the PhD.

And when in doubt you can always reach out to admissions! Best to find out sooner rather than later;) Good luck!