New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

15 hours ago, doctorjuice said:

So, there are two things that seem a little conflicting:

"Graduate Students (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year)"

"Pre-Doctoral Students (1st year, 2nd year)"

So, does this mean PhD students who have completed their 2nd year and have not received a masters are still eligible (3rd year Graduate Student)? But wouldn't that put them as a 3rd year pre-doctoral student and make them ineligible? A bit confused here.

You can be a 3rd year master's student and not have started you PhD yet, which would make you concurrently a 1st year Pre-Doctoral  and a 3rd year Grad. It gives room, so that the whole MS-PhD process can be more than 5 years I think.

Edited by Sunfish17

This is the order in which it appears on the website:

Recent Bachelor's Degree Recipients 
Graduate Students (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year)
Recent Master's Degree Recipients
Pre-Doctoral Students (1st year, 2nd year)

I think they are referring to "graduate students" as recent bachelor's degree recipients and "pre-doctoral students" as recent master's degree recipients. So if you started your Ph.D. straight out of a bachelor's degree program, you are still eligible in your third year (as far as I know). This seems to disagree with the "Eligible applications are enrolled ... through the second year of a traditional PhD program" statement farther up on the page, but it has been the rule for the last few years.

From the old NDSEG facebook page (posted in 2011):

"According to the NDSEG Eligibility Guidelines, students are no longer eligible for the program if they have completed more than two years of full-time graduate study. If a potential applicant has just begun their third year of graduate study this fall then they are considered eligible pending they meet all other eligibility criteria."

From last year's solicitation:

"Students can start applying to the program as early as their undergraduate senior year and as late as the start of their third year of overall graduate study."
Edited by easytiger

57 minutes ago, imwa said:

Oh my jeeze, it really has to be any time now. Do you guys think they will post "announcing today" or whatever like ASEE did before?

Where would they even post it? I don't think they would. 

17 hours ago, Argon said:

Woah, I have zero clue what that means to be honest. The more I interact with STI-TEC, the more I'm convinced they have no idea what being a graduate student actually is...

This is actually a common problem with the SMART fellowship. You often had people with PhDs and years of training going into positions that were designed for a recent engineering graduate. DoD wants smart people, but idk if they necessarily know where to put them to work. 

1 hour ago, GoldenDog said:

Where would they even post it? I don't think they would. 

They post sometimes on Facebook but nothing since April 4th and zero fellowship updates 

37 minutes ago, kwisco said:

They post sometimes on Facebook but nothing since April 4th and zero fellowship updates 

I dont even see the april 4th post, all I see is the facebook page on NDSEG from ASEE, but NDSEG is now administered by STI-TEC so I don't even think they'd put anything there. 

Edited by GoldenDog

50 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

I dont even see the april 4th post, all I see is the facebook page on NDSEG from ASEE, but NDSEG is now administered by STI-TEC so I don't even think they'd put anything there. 

This is the link the OP was referring to with the April 4 post from STI Tec on Facebook. 

18 hours ago, GoldenDog said:

They post a lot on twitter about general events they attend and news they report on DoD research, but nothing about fellowships so far.

52 minutes ago, Sunfish17 said:

They post a lot on twitter about general events they attend and news they report on DoD research, but nothing about fellowships so far.

I called and theyre sticking to the "by the 13th" thing...

1 hour ago, doctorjuice said:

Probably won't send it out until Friday then. God help us all.

I'm just going to assume I'm not getting it so this waiting game doesn't matter. 

I mean they did the same last year (said it would be sent on thursday or friday) but actually sent it out earlier. In the end, it doesn't matter much anyways.

11 minutes ago, robogal said:

So does anybody know what the purpose of the "send in your updated information" email was?

Is this a new email, or are you referring to the one some people received a week or so ago?

4 hours ago, robogal said:

So does anybody know what the purpose of the "send in your updated information" email was?

It was an opportunity for senior undergrads to update their information, because at the time of submission, not many undergrads had chosen a graduate institution yet.

2 hours ago, launchvehicle said:

It was an opportunity for senior undergrads to update their information, because at the time of submission, not many undergrads had chosen a graduate institution yet.

A lot of grad students got one too which is weird. I'm a 2nd year and didn't get it, but did get the finalist email (from the 16th or so). My 1st year labmate also got the finalist email, AND the "update your info" email. Neither of us got a January email. I guess it doesn't matter though, we'll find out what happens tomorrow or Friday. ?

Edited by icapybara

15 hours ago, icapybara said:

A lot of grad students got one too which is weird. I'm a 2nd year and didn't get it, but did get the finalist email (from the 16th or so). My 1st year labmate also got the finalist email, AND the "update your info" email. Neither of us got a January email. I guess it doesn't matter though, we'll find out what happens tomorrow or Friday. ?

I'm a PhD student and I received it *shrugs*

39 minutes ago, icapybara said:

Maybe I'm out of the running then. ? It's 4pm on the east coast, probably won't hear back until tomorrow. 

If it makes you feel any better, I and 3 other friends in my department didn’t get anything after January ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel like I’m waiting to be dumped.

1 hour ago, runrabbit said:

If it makes you feel any better, I and 3 other friends in my department didn’t get anything after January ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel like I’m waiting to be dumped.

Please no more jokes, humor too close to home.