New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

As another member of the group receiving final 200 but not selected because of funding, I called a couple representatives and it sounds like a contact with the DoD will be following up next week RE funding. Don't expect much, but would want more transparency in the future at least.

"As you know, your application was chosen to move forward to the final step in the process: the DoD Panel Review. We regret to inform you that you were not selected as part of the 2018 class. This year we planned to award roughly 200 fellowships and only 69 were selected due to the budget. You were in the top 200 and have been placed on the alternates selection list for the fellowship. This does not guarantee that you will be awarded the fellowship but serves as notice of  your ranking and your potential in the unlikely event that the DoD will select additional awardees."

Edited by natolambert

9 minutes ago, natolambert said:

As another member of the group receiving final 200 but not selected because of funding, I called a couple representatives and it sounds like a contact with the DoD will be following up next week RE funding. Don't expect much, but would want more transparency in the future at least.

"As you know, your application was chosen to move forward to the final step in the process: the DoD Panel Review. We regret to inform you that you were not selected as part of the 2018 class. This year we planned to award roughly 200 fellowships and only 69 were selected due to the budget. You were in the top 200 and have been placed on the alternates selection list for the fellowship. This does not guarantee that you will be awarded the fellowship but serves as notice of  your ranking and your potential in the unlikely event that the DoD will select additional awardees."

So there's still some hope?  Were these representatives at the DOD you spoke to?

7 minutes ago, fredrogers3 said:

So there's still some hope?  Were these representatives at the DOD you spoke to?

I called my congressional representative + senators, and they sent me an email of a congressional staffer Jain Thapa who supposedly works with budgeting on DoD matters. He responded to my email saying he would follow up next week.

I just called and spoke to Barb. She said that if I hadn’t received an email yet, to assume I had been rejected, but to email ndsegf@sti-tec.com to make sure. So looks like we should assume the worst, sorry guys :(

Well, I guess I had better begin looking for industry jobs now...

13 minutes ago, icapybara said:

If you're still waiting on an email, maybe give them a call. She was pretty insistent that they've all gone out, and it's an error on my part that I didn't get it. 

@icapybara were you able to find out what the outcome of your application was? I emailed and tried to call, but no response.

8 minutes ago, KD35 said:

I just called and spoke to Barb. She said that if I hadn’t received an email yet, to assume I had been rejected, but to email ndsegf@sti-tec.com to make sure. So looks like we should assume the worst, sorry guys :(

Well, I guess I had better begin looking for industry jobs now...

Lol Barb is so done with us. She was incredibly short with me on the phone. And no, I didn't find the outcome of my application. She wouldn't tell me. 

Edited by icapybara

56 minutes ago, natolambert said:

I called my congressional representative + senators, and they sent me an email of a congressional staffer Jain Thapa who supposedly works with budgeting on DoD matters. He responded to my email saying he would follow up next week.

I think this was a great idea!  I just contacted my congresswoman too to gain a little more insight on the funding issues.

8 minutes ago, campuscat said:

No email yet either :( I'll assume I was rejected 

This is so bullshit; for these types of programs feedback is important to help young scientists and engineers grow. Fine, they dont provide that. But I at least deserve a results email in a timely fashion.  Its so bullshit that I both called and emailed prior to 10 am this morning and still have no result despite the April 15th deadlines. This is how you make a generation of scientists pissed off for a lifetime at your company.

5 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

This is so bullshit; for these types of programs feedback is important to help young scientists and engineers grow. Fine, they dont provide that. But I at least deserve a results email in a timely fashion.  Its so bullshit that I both called and emailed prior to 10 am this morning and still have no result despite the April 15th deadlines. This is how you make a generation of scientists pissed off for a lifetime at your company.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this too. I guess according to others that the lady said if we didn't receive the email to assume we are rejected. It's horrible. I understand the no reviews but to not even get an email regarding the status of your application is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

Or there could just be no award in the first place?

There's definitely a lot that can be improved in academia, but waiting an extra week for an award decision has little practical effect on anyone, unless you let it.

Edit: I should say though, never receiving a notification at all is pretty rude. But they did say business closing hours Friday and the day is not over.

Edited by doctorjuice

10 minutes ago, doctorjuice said:

Or there could just be no award in the first place?

There's definitely a lot that can be improved in academia, but waiting an extra week for an award decision has little practical effect on anyone, unless you let it.

Edit: I should say though, never receiving a notification at all is pretty rude. But they did say business closing hours Friday and the day is not over.

It is past closing in their timezone and has been for nearly an hour. 

Let me be clear-- my issue is not waiting for a week but instead with the lack of consideration they show for students/applicants. They have a stake in this program, and thus by damaging its reputation, they have screwed themselves over. 

1 hour ago, natolambert said:

This is a great idea. Can you share the email/correspondence you had with them so I can share similar thoughts with mine? Thank you.

10 minutes ago, superlative_high said:

Aren't they in the central timezone? So it's not past closing for five minutes right?

Ah youre right. When I had called earlier I had gone straight to voicemail. I thought I remembered from a previous correspondence that they werent CST, but their answering machine states that they are. 

Edit: Scratch that, still unsure. In previous emails with them, the NDSEGF employees I had emailed were out of Ohio.

Edited by GoldenDog

6 minutes ago, DiscoTech said:

As long as NDSEG offers high stipends, STI-TEC can unfortunately be as shitty as it wants. There will always be plenty of people lining up to apply for it.

Let me just point out that just because someone can do something doesn't mean that it is in their best interests, that it is right, ethical, or permissible.