Tri-council funding for Psychology

Benefit

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering what you're supposed to do when applying for tri council funding if you plan on applying to 10 or so universities, but in the funding application you're only allowed to specify up to five universities? 

Thanks for any answers! 

In that case, you need to prioritize the schools that you would want to hold a Tri-Council award at. Remember, OGS is available for all schools (as this is completed individually per institution) so you won't be losing out on external funding opportunities per se. Unfortunately, that's the only way to go since you are limited to 5 schools.

It's been several years now since I applied for these awards, but at least from the NSERC side, the CGS-D doesn't limit you to only attend the schools listed. I had to list three schools that I would propose to hold the award at, but I did not have to actually pick from only those three. For the postgraduate awards, the locations are pretty much meaningless since you don't really do anything other than list them. For the NSERC PDF awards, which uses the same forms, the locations must be justified and I think they carry more meaning in the evaluation.

However, perhaps you are writing about a specific different award? I read your use of "Tri-Council" to refer to one of the NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR (i.e. the Tri-Council) CGS-D/PGS-D awards, but maybe you specifically meant a completely different with the name of "Tri-Council" ? Also, since my application only required 3 schools to be listed and you're saying 5, perhaps this is a major rule change in more recent years.

I answered assuming @Kristenkatie was referring to the Masters-level competition which does limit the number of schools you can apply to, but good point about the CGS-D @TakeruK. I stayed at the same institution for Masters and Doctoral so I didn't think about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be pedantic but that doesn't solve the issue if a person wishes to apply to more than five schools outside Ontario, and depending on what you're looking for, you could actually have quite a few programs outside Ontario already. Not to mention that some Ontario schools say that they require you to apply for SSHRC as well if you're applying to their grad programs...

• 2 weeks later...

does it matter then which school grants you the CGS-M? like I've tailored my application to match  one program but  I was told that if I received the scholarship, I could apply it to any of the 5 schools, but I just read that each school individually has a certain number of spots and its granted on the school level, so conceivably you could get a CIHR/etc from more than one school but obviously could only accept one....in that case, I need to make my research proposal more vague? I'm so confused

1 hour ago, punkwich said:

does it matter then which school grants you the CGS-M? like I've tailored my application to match  one program but  I was told that if I received the scholarship, I could apply it to any of the 5 schools, but I just read that each school individually has a certain number of spots and its granted on the school level, so conceivably you could get a CIHR/etc from more than one school but obviously could only accept one....in that case, I need to make my research proposal more vague? I'm so confused

The scholarship is tied to the school for Master's. You can't take your award to another school.

Your proposal should be clear in terms of what you want to do, but yes be more vague about where you want to do it. The only time this wouldn't be an issue is if you were already in a MSc/MA program and applying for SSHRC in your second year.