visual anthropology - what are my chances?

losbatracios

I am currently working on a research master's in visual anthropology at FLACSO Ecuador (Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences) and my thesis explores the relationship between the production of popular habitat in Quito-Ecuador and aesthetics. With the premise that aesthetics is necessarily linked to politics, I'm making a tour through the evolution of a neighborhood that was illegally built by its inhabitants thirty years ago and the role of self-organization in line with Jacques Rancière's aesthetic regimes. Because of the time limitations of a master's degree, there are several aspects of my project that I will leave behind, specifically visuality and representation. If admitted in a PhD program, I would like to explore those through shared methodologies of documentary filmmaking. 

Before starting this research master's, I studied communications as an undergrad in Ecuador, then I did a master's in Digital Media & Storytelling at Loyola Chicago. My GPA is 3.6 in both and 3.9 in my second master's. I am now getting ready to take the GRE (I last took it four years ago and my score wasn't bad). My LoR writers are anthropology professors from American and European universities. I am applying to NYU, McGill, and The University of Manchester. I will probably add a couple more universities to my list, but my budget won't allow me to submit more applications than that. 

It sounds like you should have a great chance. Have you looked at Taussig at Columbia? This isn't my specialty, but he is clearly a visually/aesthetically-oriented scholar, and he's the only one of those I can think of right now who works in a similar region to you.

18 hours ago, hats said:

It sounds like you should have a great chance. Have you looked at Taussig at Columbia? This isn't my specialty, but he is clearly a visually/aesthetically-oriented scholar, and he's the only one of those I can think of right now who works in a similar region to you.

Yes—Taussig is widely read around here, especially his notions around terror. I haven't really thought about Columbia, though, because it seems much harder to get into than NYU. Thanks for your answer! 

Yikes @ USC!

UC-Irvine popped to mind for me earlier as a department that might be strong in visual anthropology, but on looking at their faculty page I am not sure that is actually true. Have you looked at the website of the Society for Visual Anthropology? They appear to have a list of "mentors" applicants and students can just email for advice, as well as past conferences whose lists of presenters I would advise you to look over.