Letter from a PI v. Someone I have worked with closely

Halek

So I'm applying to Ecology (and a few earth science) programs for 2018. I'm currently working as a field tech, and will be getting a letter from my boss, who is a faculty member at a university. For the second letter I will most likely ask a professor I volunteered with right out of undergrad, between graduating and finding my current job. I'm in somewhat of a pickle for the last one. I am trying to decide if I should reach back to connections I made during undergrad (I graduated in 2016) or if I should as for a letter of recommendation from a supervisor at the field station I work at, who I work with pretty constantly and has first hand experience on how I approach solving problems in field work. But he doesn't have a faculty position, so the letter might not look as "good". Adding to the confusion, I will be starting a new technician job in a few weeks with a new boss, and while he might be able to provide a good letter in the future, I'm not sure if that will be the case by the time applications are due.
TLDR: I have two letters sorted out, and am trying to figure out the last one. 

I think you have two really good letter writers already so it's not as important if the last letter writer doesn't tick off all of the boxes of professor/academia/knows-your-research. 

If your field station supervisor has a PhD then I would say this is certainly the right person to have as your 3rd letter writer. If not, your field supervisor may still be better than going back to a prof from undergrad that doesn't know you as well.

• 2 weeks later...