I wanted to start a thread for those of us applying to programs under the umbrella of Science and Technology Studies and History/Philosophy/Sociology of Science, Technology, and Medicine. What programs are you applying to, and what are your interests?

My main area of interest is the DSM as a site of conflict and negotiation between sexual & gender minority communities and mental health professionals. I'm applying to: Indiana Bloomington HSPC, Cornell STS, UChicago CHSS, UPenn HSS, UCSD Science Studies (Sociology), and Northwestern Sociology dept. I'm still considering adding one or two more to that list.

Edited by infovore

Just so you know, Cornell is a little more traditional than a lot of programs (doesn't really do Atlantic World, for example).

Indiana's HSPC has some real problems. You can PM me if you want to know more, because it's not appropriate to report them in a public space.

I would suggest applying to UW-Madison as well. Judy Houck is very close to your own area and hasn't taken a grad student in at least two years.

15 hours ago, psstein said:

Just so you know, Cornell is a little more traditional than a lot of programs (doesn't really do Atlantic World, for example).

Indiana's HSPC has some real problems. You can PM me if you want to know more, because it's not appropriate to report them in a public space.

I would suggest applying to UW-Madison as well. Judy Houck is very close to your own area and hasn't taken a grad student in at least two years.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into UW-Madison.

Cornell STS seems like a very non-traditional program, at least based on their web site, because of the way it blurs disciplinary boundaries more than every other program I looked at.

• 5 months later...

I personally lie on the cultural/media studies side of STS, with main interest in space exploration, Anthropocene discourse, and algorithmic culture.

I'll be applying to *stares at folder on computer, weeps*: Cornell STS, Brown STS, MIT STS, Berkeley Rhetoric (with designated emphasis on STS), Max-Planck-Institute for the History of Science, UofT History & Philosophy of ST.

I'm also considering applying to McGill Communication, UCSC History of Consciousness, and I'll also be looking into other universities in Germany that might make sense for me. 

• 11 months later...

Hey I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one I could find with a substantive discussion about STS PhD programs. I've recently been accepted to Cornell's STS program, and Northwestern's sociology program (and their science studies cluster). Anyone at these programs who could tell me about their experience there? Or those who have thoughts about the pros/cons of a designated STS program versus a disciplinary program like Northwestern's?