Besides research, what would matter?

katalytik

I think we all would choose a school based primarily on the research, but what else would matter to you all? Personally speaking these are some things that I would want to know:

1. What current grad students think

2. Overall university reputation

3. How well they place grads into jobs

4. Nice weather!

Any additions?

7. I would suggest people's have a look on other departments related to their own ones. check out is there any other intellectual resources.

For example, if you are going to a sociology program, go to anthropology department's site and find is there someone whose works relate to yours. I believe this could also be applicable to some engineering and sci programs. For example, perhaps you will find a math professor whose studies could help you.

7. I would suggest people's have a look on other departments related to their own ones. check out is there any other intellectual resources.

For example, if you are going to a sociology program, go to anthropology department's site and find is there someone whose works relate to yours. I believe this could also be applicable to some engineering and sci programs. For example, perhaps you will find a math professor whose studies could help you.

This is an excellent idea! I had not thought about this..... nice.

As a humanities student, I would add

8. Quality of library holdings.

8B. Relevance of any special collections or archives to my work.

as well as

9. Travel funding (for trips to archives and libraries as well as conferences).

10. Professionalization support (mock job talks, help with CV, support on the job market).

In addition to the content of your POI's research, I think it's important to get a sense of your POI's work style and interpersonal style. Is she hands-on, or do you have to stalk her for 5 minutes of her time? Does she want you to collaborate with other profs/grads or will you work for ONLY her? Is she the kind of person who will introduce you to colleagues in the field? Is she a generally supportive person or will you slave away and never receive a scrap of respect and recognition? I think some people underestimate the impact the advisor has on your entire work life and career, especially in research-focused Ph.D. programs when work *IS* your entire life.

Grad students are great sources of this information, and in my experience, they will often tell you the truth (even if the truth is negative).

P.S. Yes I am in psychology, but this doesn't just apply to interpersonally-oriented fields. (Check out www.phdcomics.com for a humorous slice of this harsh truth).

Edited by jordy

I think we all would choose a school based primarily on the research, but what else would matter to you all? Personally speaking these are some things that I would want to know:

1. What current grad students think

2. Overall university reputation

3. How well they place grads into jobs

4. Nice weather!

Any additions?

So just how are you going to check #3? Do you know of any good resources, or would you have to rely on maybe finding something mentioned on the department websites? I'm curious myself :)

So just how are you going to check #3? Do you know of any good resources, or would you have to rely on maybe finding something mentioned on the department websites? I'm curious myself :)

To find out about placements, ask! Ask about the department as a whole, and ask your POI in particular. The department as a whole is often (not always) placed on the website, but that doesn't account for the people who couldn't find a job. The woman I want to advise me, because of her interests, takes on a lot of foreign students, but they were placed in the top universities in their home countries. The ones in Turkey are definitely well placed (not that I plan on coming back here). As for her American students, the sample size wasn't huge, but she named a few top liberal arts colleges and said those are the ones she could think of off the top of her head, but she would be more than happy to look up all of them. If the professor can't remember where their own graduate students have gone off to, that might be a bad sign (though it'd be different if it were a masters program or a professional program).

Actually some of the schools post data on their website about where the grads were placed. Also, you could ask the Phd program coordinator for this data.

Actually some of the schools post data on their website about where the grads were placed. Also, you could ask the Phd program coordinator for this data.

Yes, but no program lists students who didn't place anywhere, and most don't distinguish post-doc/adjunct from tenure track.

Yes, but no program lists students who didn't place anywhere, and most don't distinguish post-doc/adjunct from tenure track.

That's my concern. Can't they all place a "X % of our former PhD students are now employed. Click this link for a breakdown in what areas! Also, the average salary for a grad student from this department is $Y." That would be very helpful :)

This sort of relates to research but not really at the same time.

Whether or not the school is close to a national lab. Grad students at my undergrad college found it frustrating having to travel to New Mexico all the time to get experiments done. If something goes wrong with the machine they are hoping on using for that week they'd have to fly in again when it's up and running but I guess that's what happens with all labs so you can't help it.

This is really low on my priority list but it's a nice plus when your school doesn't have the best lab equipment. When all is said and done with the school, who knows, maybe you'll even be able to find a job there as well :)