Funded M.A. programs with Poetry/Poetics concentrations

I'm wondering if I can pool together knowledge of programs with fellow poetry/poetics folks. I'm shooting high--looking for an M.A. with a poetry/poetics concentration, or at least faculty with the specialization. I also need the opportunity to be fully-funded--I'm not planning on attending a program without that offer. Also interested in M.A./M.F.A. programs, and programs that value interdisciplinary humanities research (i.e. my undergraduate thesis is on visual poetry so I'm interested in the intersection of lit and art as well as graphic narratives, comics, etc.)

Here are the three I'm sure I'm applying to, plus other possibilities. I'm looking to add 2-3 more to my list.

1. Brock University, Ontario, MA
  2. SUNY Buffalo, MA/PhD
  3. University of Maine, MA
Possibilities:
Georgetown, MA (full funding available to very few students)
Northwestern, MA/MFA dual degree (a big reach--a brand new program, and they only accept 4 students a year)
University of Washington, MA 
University of Utah, MA (full funding and Craig Dworkin, but not the most thrilling course offerings)
Penn State, MA 
University of Wisconsin-Madison, MA (has Timothy Yu, but likely not fully-funded, course offerings okay)

If any other poetics folks know of programs good for us, let's chat! I'm bummed that Portland State isn't fully-funded, as that had great faculty. Hoping there are others.

I'm not sure if you're interested in MA programs with a concentration in creative writing or MA programs in literature. The latter won't really give you the opportunity to specialize in something as narrow as poetics or poetry because MA lit programs, by their very definition, want you to become well-rounded scholars of literature in a wide array of topics. They lay the groundwork for you to specialize in something much narrower at the PhD level, or to be a generalist instructor at a community college or high school. You may get the option, at the end of it all, to write a master's thesis or master's essay in something much more specific (like poetics), but you won't be able to just take classes in poetry/poetics, for the most part. 

In terms of fully funded MAs where students also specialize in creative writing, I would urge you to look for MA programs housed alongside PhD programs in creative writing, because these "hybrid" programs might allow you to study (and write) poetry while getting an MA. And because most of these are located in big English departments, they give students funding in exchange for teaching. Just googling gave me these schools:

Ohio University
Georgia State
University of Cincinnati
University of Missouri
University of Nebraska
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
University of North Dakota
University of Southern Mississippi
University of Connecticut

Edited by Bumblebea

On 10/7/2017 at 4:49 PM, ProfessionalNerd said:

UChicago has a MA program in poetry and poetics. I'm unsure if they offer funding. 

https://poetics.uchicago.edu/maph-poetics-option

I've taken a look at the MAPH program before--seems like there is a limited amount of partial tuition coverage available, and the chance of fellowships through UChicago's fellowship search. Doesn't sound super promising, but I'll see if I can talk to any current or past MAPH students on here. Thanks!

On 10/8/2017 at 12:58 PM, Bumblebea said:

I'm not sure if you're interested in MA programs with a concentration in creative writing or MA programs in literature. The latter won't really give you the opportunity to specialize in something as narrow as poetics or poetry because MA lit programs, by their very definition, want you to become well-rounded scholars of literature in a wide array of topics. They lay the groundwork for you to specialize in something much narrower at the PhD level, or to be a generalist instructor at a community college or high school. You may get the option, at the end of it all, to write a master's thesis or master's essay in something much more specific (like poetics), but you won't be able to just take classes in poetry/poetics, for the most part. 

In terms of fully funded MAs where students also specialize in creative writing, I would urge you to look for MA programs housed alongside PhD programs in creative writing, because these "hybrid" programs might allow you to study (and write) poetry while getting an MA. And because most of these are located in big English departments, they give students funding in exchange for teaching. Just googling gave me these schools:

Ohio University
Georgia State
University of Cincinnati
University of Missouri
University of Nebraska
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
University of North Dakota
University of Southern Mississippi
University of Connecticut

Thank you for making the point about MA programs being designed for well-rounded study! Of course, I'm not expecting to be able to take classes in poetics solely, but I would like to attend a school where there are courses offered in the subject and faculty members with the specialization. 

I'm interested in both writing poetry and studying poetics--the work of Rachel Blau DuPlessis and Steve McCaffery have been my main interests in undergrad. However, in an MA program, I'm looking for more of the latter. I'd rather not focus as much on creative writing in an academic space as I'm wrapping up a 4-year degree in it...I'm a little exhausted and frustrated by my workshop experiences and would prefer to spend some time reading poetry and poetic theory before bringing my own work back into a program. I might consider both MFA and PhD afterwards (Buffalo's poetics program would be the dream).

I will look into these. I've added a couple schools with bigger departments (and better funding)...U of Utah, Penn State, U of Washington.