Anthropology GRE Scores

RA2018

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been looking at the post on GRE's around here for a while and wanted opinion's on my  unofficial GRE scores. I'm also an undergrad anthropology major and am applying to PhD programs for next fall. 

I'm applying to Duke, Princeton, Stanford, University of Tulsa, University of Maryland, and University of South Florida

Unofficial scores: 149 Verbal and 144 Quantitative

Undergrad GPA Overall: 3.765 on a 4.0 scale

Do you think that if I do well on other parts of my application like my statement of purpose would I stand a chance at getting in?

You may want to consider retaking the GRE. You are applying to some competitive programs and often schools will use GRE scores as a cutoff (300, typically). Getting your combined score above this would probably stop your application from being an auto reject.

Do you have research experience? Publications? Experience connected to the research you want to do? Any grants? Are your LoRs from people well-known and respected in the field and/or are they particularly strong? These can all help offset low GRE scores. 

I would say contact the departments in question and specifically your POI at each program and see what they say about your GRE scores. I didn't have an amazing GRE score but still got into a good MA program. Most departments understand that the GRE is a horrible way to assess potential applicants. Most professors and departments I talked to don't necessarily have a "cut-off" for the GRE but they will use the GRE to help decided between applicants or to decide who gets funding. But again, I would say contact your POI and see what they say.

Thanks both of you. As for experience I've worked with an archaeologist in the field before, have worked with two museums, and have assisted with an archaeological conference. I would love to take the GRE again in January but the issue is that the deadlines for my applications are all due before this. I called some of my schools admissions offices and they said that would accept new scores after the deadline. However, I'm worried this might make a bad impression.

If they're willing to accept them and you do better the second time, I don't think it would make a bad impression. There can be any number of reasons that someone ends up with less-than-stellar GRE scores, but submitting a second set after the deadline (with their permission) can show that the first set was an anomaly. Like bioarch_fan suggested, your best bet is to ask each program about this issue. Although not the exact same, I was on the phone with a POI a couple weeks ago and mentioned I thought my quant score was not an accurate representation of my quant abilities (it's a quant heavy program so it was on my mind). The POI asked about my scores, told me it was fine, and gave me more information about how they use the GRE when assessing apps (in true quant fashion, this program uses a formula that takes the percentiles across all three scores and comes up with a composite score). I would have stressed over this if I didn't ask, but because I did, I was able to stress over the other aspects of my application, haha.