Profile Evaluation for Political Theory - Harvard JD, Fulbright

Hello! I'm trying to put some feelers out on a political theory PhD. I'm interested in studying state coercion and anarchism, and these interests are closely related to my legal studies. I also have experience teaching, and would love to do so as a career. But I have no clue what a competitive application looks like. Could anyone give me some feedback? Some resume highlights:

3.8 uGPA in government at Georgetown, magna cum laude, and quasi-honors research program. Thesis in political theory.

Fulbright Scholar

Harvard Law JD

GRE: 170 verbal (99%), 164 quant (87%), 5.0 writing (93%)

Thank you so much and please let me know if there is any other information I can provide, so as to facilitate feedback.

• 2 months later...

The difference between law school and Ph.D. apps are the latter are not as much of a hoop-jumping/qualification process. Your GPA/GRE are only part of the puzzle (yours are excellent though, so that's a plus)...what's going to get you accepted are your LORs, SOP,  research experience, and writing sample. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 5:32 AM, Comparativist said:

The difference between law school and Ph.D. apps are the latter are not as much of a hoop-jumping/qualification process. Your GPA/GRE are only part of the puzzle (yours are excellent though, so that's a plus)...what's going to get you accepted are your LORs, SOP,  research experience, and writing sample. 

I see, I see. Thank you very much! I really appreciate your feedback, and will look to the great resources on this site regarding the other application components.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, CandyCanes said:

Question: Why are you pursuing a PhD when you already have a Harvard JD?

A JD will not credential you to teach in a political science department by itself without a PhD in political theory or philosophy.  A PhD in Polisci makes a candidate for a law teaching job more competitive and a JD makes a theory PhD more competitive in the Polisci teaching market. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 12:45 AM, DreamersDay said:

A JD will not credential you to teach in a political science department by itself without a PhD in political theory or philosophy.  A PhD in Polisci makes a candidate for a law teaching job more competitive and a JD makes a theory PhD more competitive in the Polisci teaching market. 

Bingo!