2008 Anthro PhD Applicants

Well it looks like Boston University is the only school I got into. Which is fine since Boston is an amazing city and it is a good program. However, I'm still waiting to hear about funding. I sent out a couple of emails - one to the grad school and one to the dept. but haven't heard back. I saw that someone else got in as well - have you heard anything yet?

Hey Firedrops. I was accepted to BU as well and seem to be in the same position as you. I also e-mailed the department about the funding. We should know by the end of the month.

I'm excited. Boston's a beautiful city and there are so many schools around. What are you studying?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Firedrops. I was accepted to BU as well and seem to be in the same position as you. I also e-mailed the department about the funding. We should know by the end of the month.

I'm excited. Boston's a beautiful city and there are so many schools around. What are you studying?

Hey Fasulye,

I'm studying socio-cultural anthro. I emailed the department too and was told:

"Congratulations on being accepted! At this point, you are on our

waiting list for financial aid. We have to wait until one person

declines before we can offer the aid package (tuition and fees plus

stipend) to another candidate.

Although this becomes a waiting game, you may well find it worth the

wait. If you have to make a decision about another school, please let

me know. We can always push for faster results (it doesn't always

work, but it is always worth while to try and help you)."

In a follow-up email he told me that I technically had until April 15th to give my decision but that sometimes changes depending on funding and other issues (if they give funding they want to know sooner.)

Hey Fasulye,

I'm studying socio-cultural anthro. I emailed the department too and was told:

"Congratulations on being accepted! At this point, you are on our

waiting list for financial aid. We have to wait until one person

declines before we can offer the aid package (tuition and fees plus

stipend) to another candidate.

Although this becomes a waiting game, you may well find it worth the

wait. If you have to make a decision about another school, please let

me know. We can always push for faster results (it doesn't always

work, but it is always worth while to try and help you)."

In a follow-up email he told me that I technically had until April 15th to give my decision but that sometimes changes depending on funding and other issues (if they give funding they want to know sooner.)

I haven't received my financial aid package yet. I was told that I have 2 weeks to decide once I receive it. From what I've gathered, technicality you mentioned is based on the possibility of the financial aid package not arriving until April 1st. Let's see what happens. Good luck!

At this point I think I'm going to Boston. I've been talking to Mark Palmer who is the dept. admin. and he seems really nice. He has been very helpful and excited about everything. I just hope I get some money!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Our thread has really dropped off in activity, so I guess I'll try to revive it. Have you guys decided where you are going yet? Do you have funding? I'm waiting on it and it makes me very nervous.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting for news.

I only applied to SUNY Buffalo (archaeology, Ph.D.). I'm in, but I'm still waiting for funding. Right now I'm trying to decide if I will go if I don't get funding. Let's hope I don't have to make that decision!

I didn't see anyone else applying to the program at SUNY Buffalo on this forum or, well, anywhere that nervous, potential grad students congregate online. But, does anyone know of any friends or acquaintances that applied to the anthro program there? I'm just curious. :)

I only applied to SUNY Buffalo (archaeology, Ph.D.). I'm in, but I'm still waiting for funding. Right now I'm trying to decide if I will go if I don't get funding. Let's hope I don't have to make that decision!

I didn't see anyone else applying to the program at SUNY Buffalo on this forum or, well, anywhere that nervous, potential grad students congregate online. But, does anyone know of any friends or acquaintances that applied to the anthro program there? I'm just curious. :)

I'm waiting on funding too for my top choice program. Hopefully they'll make a decision soon, I'm tired of waiting. :|

I don't think any of the other people I know personally applied to SUNY Buffalo, though a lot of that is probably because I lot of people either applied to big names or schools fairly near to my undergrad regionally.

Good luck getting funding! I hope they let us know soon, this waiting is killing me!

I'm in my 2nd year at SUNY Buffalo, and I have friends working on their PhDs in archaeology. If you have any questions about the program, I can pump them for information for you. :)

Haha, awesome, thanks! I don't have any specific questions in mind at the moment, but if anything comes up...

I was just surprised that I didn't run into more people online who are applying to SUNY Buffalo, in any field. It's a big school, so I thought I'd see more applicants.