2008 Anthro PhD Applicants

To update my experience here: Emailed the program director of NYU Anth today, and he replied with " I do regret to inform you...." Well, as expected, there are 450 applicants this year and only 7 offers will be made. They haven't sent out any rejections yet, but they do have had a short list which nominates 15 people for 7 openings.

This probably includes all the subdisciplines, right? Or is it possible that (trying to cling to a tiny ray of hope here...) physical anthropology or other subdisciplines might admit separately? And holy carp, 450 applicants?!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi...has anyone out there heard from Toronto, Umich or Rutgers? Thanks!

Hi!

Nothing from Toronto yet... I guess that they will start sending notifications anywhere from 19th Feb to the end of March (according to Results table) :|

Best of luck to you! :)

nervouswreck said:
I got a rejection letter in my inbox from Florida for the second time! This truly hurts. my application must have been really bad!

Aww. That stinks, maybe they're having some weird issues and don't mean to come across as mean? (or not?!)

I still haven't heard anything either. *nervous twitch* I'm running through all these crazy scenarios where magically my application wasn't complete and they just never bothered to tell me.

The worst part is that if it comes in the post, I won't be able to find out until Sunday, since my parents are going out of town for the rest of the week. Gross. Grad school admissions are so stressful.

Keepcalm,

Still no Florida in my mailbox, so if we're not in different countries, chances are yours didn't come either.

If that helps.

Lol! Thanks. I've been frantically stalking my e-mail today hoping they'd (or any other program!) would send me something that way. For some reason I'm desperate to hear from some of my schools, especially Florida and Chapel Hill, because they're applications were due so long ago!

Thanks for keeping me updated!

Folks who are waiting on Florida - just FYI, I got an informal email a couple weeks ago from a professor with whom I'd been incontact saying I was accepted, but have not received the actual letter yet either.

Also, I stumbled across this thread in a forum on the Chronicle for HIgher Ed website that I found interesting: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/t ... 636.0.html

Gives an idea of what might be going on on the other side!

Re: 2008 Anthro PhD Applicants

Postby nailbitingnmiserable on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 am

I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm starting to lose hope. :cry:

nailbitingnmiserable

Caffeinated

i haven't heard anything either! how do you all feel about emailing potential advisors/program directors?

they are probably swamped with requests for status updates, but it would be soooo nice to have an answer....

i haven't heard anything either! how do you all feel about emailing potential advisors/program directors?

they are probably swamped with requests for status updates, but it would be soooo nice to have an answer....

Yes, just email them or give the departmental secretary a call to check your status. I got to know mine two days ago by emailing NYU's program director, and he emailed backed very quickly, saying that I was not accepted though rejections had not been sent out. Sometimes we need to be a bit aggressive to badger them--am I in, am I in, am I in?????

Yes, just email them or give the departmental secretary a call to check your status. I got to know mine two days ago by emailing NYU's program director, and he emailed backed very quickly, saying that I was not accepted though rejections had not been sent out. Sometimes we need to be a bit aggressive to badger them--am I in, am I in, am I in?????

Reading all of these posts is making me nervous.. I'd tried to put all this stress out of my mind after I sent in my applications, but it's now come back with a vengeance.

I also applied to NYU, but I'm Canadian, so I'm curious about whether international applicants should also have been contacted by now. (I'm guessing the posters so far have been US students.) Can I hold on to the faint hope that my acceptance is in the mail, or is the fact I haven't heard anything yet a sign that I should shift my anxieties to the other schools?

Okay, apparently I gave Florida my school address (which I completely do not remember doing) and I got a letter today saying I was not selected for admission. :cry: Oh well. I'm glad I know now.

Here's hoping I get into a better school! :)

I'm cultural, finishing up a masters here at LSU and waiting to hear back too. I heard that Tulane already made their decisions but no word from them as of yet. I also heard Berkeley already picked and it was brutal. One of my good friends had two professors fighting for her and she didn't get in, but they called her to let her know what was going on. Apparently they had 5 spots, the chair claimed 3 of them leaving 2 for the rest of the profs to fight over. Tenure won out (as usual) so if you were in contact with the chair or a prof that had been there forever you might be in. But I wasn't so I'm not even considering them anymore.

I applied to Chicago too so I'm a little worried since people are already hearing back. I just want to know where I'm going to be living in 6 months!! :roll:

Reading all of these posts is making me nervous.. I'd tried to put all this stress out of my mind after I sent in my applications, but it's now come back with a vengeance.

I also applied to NYU, but I'm Canadian, so I'm curious about whether international applicants should also have been contacted by now. (I'm guessing the posters so far have been US students.) Can I hold on to the faint hope that my acceptance is in the mail, or is the fact I haven't heard anything yet a sign that I should shift my anxieties to the other schools?

I would think that a school would email everybody accepted in one go, but it seems that this is not always the case....all i can say is that the process is extremely frustrating!!! It would be much better if all PhD prgrams agreed to a common notification date and stuck to the policy. That way, everybody would receive results from all schools within a couple of days.