Overlap in degree dates

lheure

Question

Hi there, I have 2 masters. The official graduation date of the first program is 6 months after the beginning of the second program. I started to study in the second program in January, but the certificate shows that I graduated from the first program in June.

Would this be a problem? Should I offer detailed explanation in SOP or CV?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

It's not a big deal. Something like this is very common at many schools. My PhD school only confers degrees once per year (in June) so people who defend in August, start postdocs in September don't actually get the degree itself until they have already been a postdoc for almost an entire year! So, there's no need to explain why your first degree date is after the start date of your second degree. I wouldn't mention this at all in your SOP.

But I can see why you want to have a clear/easy-to-understand CV. I think you have a few easy choices:

1. On your CV, don't list months. It's common in academia (at least in my field) to only list years. So, since you finished your 1st degree and started your 2nd degree in the same year, there will be no apparent overlap.

2. On your CV, list the dates of attendance in the place where you put dates (e.g. left side, right side, whatever your format is). Then, for your first degree, you can make a note in that listing that says "Degree conferred: June XYZ" or something like that. I think this is a concise and elegant way to put it.

3. Another common date format for degrees is to only list the degree earned date, not the date range of attendance, except for the degree in progress. So you can list something like:
2016 - present: 2nd Masters degree
2016: 1st Masters degree
2014: Bachelor's degree

(of course, putting actual info in instead of my generic headings).

13 hours ago, TakeruK said:

It's not a big deal. Something like this is very common at many schools. My PhD school only confers degrees once per year (in June) so people who defend in August, start postdocs in September don't actually get the degree itself until they have already been a postdoc for almost an entire year! So, there's no need to explain why your first degree date is after the start date of your second degree. I wouldn't mention this at all in your SOP.

But I can see why you want to have a clear/easy-to-understand CV. I think you have a few easy choices:

1. On your CV, don't list months. It's common in academia (at least in my field) to only list years. So, since you finished your 1st degree and started your 2nd degree in the same year, there will be no apparent overlap.

2. On your CV, list the dates of attendance in the place where you put dates (e.g. left side, right side, whatever your format is). Then, for your first degree, you can make a note in that listing that says "Degree conferred: June XYZ" or something like that. I think this is a concise and elegant way to put it.

3. Another common date format for degrees is to only list the degree earned date, not the date range of attendance, except for the degree in progress. So you can list something like:
2016 - present: 2nd Masters degree
2016: 1st Masters degree
2014: Bachelor's degree

(of course, putting actual info in instead of my generic headings).

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! It helps a lot!

I have one more concern. When I apply for a PhD program, I need to fill in the online application form, which requires precise starting date and graduation date. Would the overlap on the application be fine?