HELP! Profile Evaluation! School Choices! - M.S. in Bioengineering/BME (with B.S. in Bio)

citrus00

Hello. I need some advice and help from you guys. I will greatly appreciate them!

1. I have heard from someone that many graduate programs admit students on rolling basis. Is this true? I have been researching schools for some time and I have not seen any mention of "rolling admission" on their websites. I was a bit panicking when I heard this because I just started narrowing down my school list and filling out the applications and I think I will be able to submit it right before the deadlines.... 

2. I have B.S. degree in molecular biology. I have read some posts that it is doable but a lot harder to get into engineering programs with B.S. degree in biology. (The reason I am going for MS instead of PhD is also because I am bio major.)  I was aiming for very top schools (top 10) because my GPA and GRE scores are competitive, but now I am not sure what kind of schools I should apply for. I do have some industry research experience: a little more than 2 years at a diagnostic device company (company manufacturing things like pregnancy test kits). I did not do anything really engineering-like because the company does not manufacture biosensors. 

3. Consider my circumstances (#2) and stats below and recommend me schools that would give me some chance.

GRE
Q: 165
V: 162
W: ??

overall GPA: 3.74
major GPA: not sure but little higher than overall GPA  

Publication - 1 publication but it was during high school and I barely knew what's going on (it was computational organic chemistry) although they gave me credit for it.. so... it's negligible..

Research experience - one summer as a lab tech in a pathology lab; 2 years as a R&D research scientist at a diagnostic device company, responsible for developing new products (as mentioned above)

Recommendations - 2 okay ones from my undergrad; 1 excellent one from my supervisor at the diagnostic device company

Edited by citrus00

• 2 months later...

Nobody? I chose the schools and in the process of applying.. but I am not sure if I am aiming the right schools.

I choose my schools based on my GRE and GPA but I think I might be aiming too high? considering my non-engineering B.S. degree?

Sorry I didn't see this before! I am at the tail end of my MS in BME at Northwestern now. Perhaps it might help give you some peace of mind to know what I applied to schools with:

Undergrad GPA: 2.40, GRE: 159V, 161Q, 4.0. At the time I only had a co-author paper out there, with a poster and two patents. I had 3 years of industry research under my belt as well (which was my counter for my terrible GPA).

Compared with what you've got, I think you'll have a good chance at acceptance a lot of places. Programs tend not to be nearly as hardline on master's applicants, so don't worry too much about not having a non-engineering BS. Some programs might ask you to take an extra math class or something, but usually they're like "well you're giving us money, so we don't care what you do, go for it!"

May I ask which programs you applied to?

Thank you for your the response! I really appreciate your help!

Here's the list of schools I applied to: UC Irvine, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, Boston University (LEAP Program for non-engineers), UCLA, UCSD, Stanford

I am getting a bit nervous and thinking of adding a couple more schools... if the deadline hasn't passed...

5 hours ago, citrus00 said:

Thank you for your the response! I really appreciate your help!

Here's the list of schools I applied to: UC Irvine, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, Boston University (LEAP Program for non-engineers), UCLA, UCSD, Stanford

I am getting a bit nervous and thinking of adding a couple more schools... if the deadline hasn't passed...

Nice set of programs! It doesn't hurt to consider a few more apps if it's not too much of a cost burden. I can't remember if Northwestern's MS app period is past or not yet. I can personally recommend it- it's been good to me, and although I haven't taken advantage of them, there are several extra certificate programs (in areas like biotech or business) that you can complete while you do your coursework, at no extra cost (but it IS expensive to attend, overall).

It stinks that a lot of MS decisions don't necessarily come out until later on, compared with PhD responses. Though I think I knew by late February about NU. Don't get too nervous, I think you have a good profile, and applying for MS programs with your numbers will result in some successes on your list.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...