Seems like a common issue-Can I be accepted with this gpa??

mousehouse

So my overall GPA is 2.44, and this is only because I left art school because of general depression at 18. 4 F's, haha. I think I had a hard time adjusting away from my family the first year, and I realized just because I was GOOD at art, didn't mean it's what I wanting to do as a career.  

My institutional isn't great either, at 3.12. I spent the past few years in college only giving the bare minimum of my potential, as I really had no direction. I made all A's in my art classes, then tried my hand at psych hoping something clicked. I knew I didn't want to work in the art field. So I messed around in psych, didn't try very hard, made A's B's and C's. I run my own, pretty successful, small business, run a gallery space, and nanny. So school kind of came second to those things, since I enjoyed them and felt I had no direction career wise. Well I took a careers class this semester and it was like a lightbulb went off when a social worker spoke to our class. I did a lot more research and spoke to many people about it, and I'm completely sure it's what I want. That class should be freaking required for freshman year. 

I'm 2 semesters away from graduating with a degree in psych and a minor in art. I'm planning on closing my small business at the end of next semester and moving to Chicago. Currently, I have a lot of child care experience. I just got an internship working with refugee high schoolers, and am getting a second internship/job under a Psychologist with her own practice. I'm about to do a study abroad in Dubai, and have three solid recommendation writers (two with PhDs in psychology). I'm hoping my childcare experience (including kids on the spectrum and with neurodiversity) will reflect well. I absolutely have the potential to make all A's, I just didn't really have the motivation to so without a purpose.  I'm considering working for a year before applying, but I would like to go soon; I don't want to be the oldest person in my classes (i'm currently 27...I guess that's a normal age for grad school?? haha).

Anyway, does all this sound like enough to be accepted into a decent program? I plan on applying to these programs. 

Loyola University of Chicago- Requirements: none. Anyone with bachelors degree

University of Chicago-No minimum GPA but applicants usually have 3.5-4.0

Jane adams Social Work- 2.75 GPA for last 60 credit hours. 

DePaul College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences- GPA requirements 2.7

I think I just need advice on things I need to add, maybe hear some of your personal stories as well. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Most applications(at least that I have filled out), even programs that do have a minimum GPA requirement, have a space where you can address academic hardship and discuss why you are still qualified. My best friend was accepted to 4 of the 5 schools to which she applied with a 2.5 GPA and average experience because she was open about her depression in her application. Highlight your other selling points, rack up your experience, perfect your essays, and sell your struggles as strengths. I wouldn't lose hope over your GPA, as long as you can write a convincing statement as to why you can preform better in the future. 

I second AHabG, it's really a matter of how you portray yourself and the issues that influenced your GPA. 

I take social work classes at Loyola. Based on my experience there, I think you'd be a great fit; you just have to help the admissions committee see that.