Contact with POIs/ Institutional contact policies

MedAnth2016

Hi all,

I'm wondering if those applying this cycle or others who are already in graduate programs might be wiling to share their experiences with contacting POIs, even if the school has a "no contact before admissions rule" ?  I am wondering about this because I want to be respectful of these policies and not to bother anyone, but I've heard from others that some department faculty will speak with potential candidates, despite these rules.  Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with this?

Thanks so much! 

I don't think you should be worried too much about the no contact rule. Because even if you contact them not knowing the rule, it would be buried in their inboxes, nobody would know it was you. The worse result is no reply in any scenario.

If you are still worried, check the department pages. There would be information on whether to contact professors before admission. Contact them as long as they didn't say explicitly "don't contact professors"!

Edited by kittyball