GRE Concerns

astronaut

I took the GRE in 2013 and in 2015.

• My 1st round I got V:162 / Q:157 / W:4.0.
  • My 2nd round I got V:163 / Q:155 / W5.0.

They're very similar. I like my 2015 scores because I got two 93rd percentiles, but my quantitative is awful (2013:66th percentile / 2015:59th percentile). Most of the science programs I'm interested value quantitative more. From your experience, are these scores so low I might be chucked out on the first round, and should I study desperately now and try to bring it up before the Jan 1st deadlines, or should I send in my 2013 or 2015 scores? What would you do?

Thanks!

If you can't retake the GRE to improve your score, the best advice I can give is to focus on your academic record.  Have you taken and gotten a string of A grades in upper-level math courses?  If so, that should help to combat the idea that your preparation is inadequate in some way.

Don't give up hope astronaut. With just a bit of extra practice you can find yourself soaring to the grad school of your dreams. For the quant scores that you listed, a company I've worked for found that to get a 5-point improvement you'll need to spend approximately 38.6 hours of focused study time. So rounding that, you're looking at about 40 hours of focused study time. And by focused study time, I mean: 1) break up the GRE into "digestible" skills, 2) identify your weakest skills, and 3) focus on questions in your weakest skills.  Many students do this on their own, by making an Excel spreadsheet to see what kinds of questions they're missing on practice exams. There are also some products out there focused on identifying and targeting your weakest skills.

You'll also want to make sure that you're studying smart. Focus on quality, not quantity. Learn what you need to learn, and do not mindlessly practice for hours on end. Take every single question seriously and review your answers carefully to make sure you learn to never make the same mistake twice. If you target practice and improve your performance skill by skill, before you know it you’ll be seeing a clear increase in your GRE score and soon enough, you’ll be hitting and exceeding your target GRE score. Don't let a couple of points on the quant section stand between you and your dreams.